Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:25:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Suggest some enemies for me; Human and Creatures  (Read 6536 times)

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
Re: Suggest some enemies for me; Human and Creatures
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 04:35:52 PM »
Got to have them fighting evil cultists... they are everywhere! :D

Darkoath

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 05:39:26 PM »
SUPPLEMENTARY QUESTION - in the pre-war Church of England, would it be likely that a curate would take over the duties of a vicar if the vicar was unable to function through illness, injury etc? I'm thinking of a situation where the vicar, who is a jolly good chap, has to let his new curate run things for a while and the curate turns out to somewhat more than he appears to be - and not in a good way. Is the premise reasonable?

Anyone clued up on church hierarchy out there?

Doug

Hi Doug

The curate would have had to be there for a while. For the first year of a person's curacy out of theology college, they are/were ordained deacon which meant that they would not be able to:-

a) "preside at communion" (do the "glass, bottle, bottle glass" bit with the bread and wine)
b) marry people
c) baptise people

After a year (if they got a good report from teh training vicar) they would be ordained priest.
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 07:09:29 PM »
The curate would have had to be there for a while.

If the curate in Doug's scenario is a Deep One, odds are he's been there "a while".  lol

Also, +1 to Red Orc's "all of the above" comment a few comments upthread. Throw them ALL into the mix, stir well, and stand well back!

Offline Groove51

• Librarian
    • Small Guys Rule
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 10:33:54 PM »
I'm thinking 'Stepford Wives' and 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'. The thought of pod conversions already makes me snigger. :)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 01:18:31 PM »
"Throw them ALL into the mix, stir well, and stand well back!"

Sound advice and I think I may chuck in some IRA for good measure.

I'm going to start off with the local Squire asking his old wartime friend, Captain Hastings, if he can persuade that funny little Belgian chappie that he knows to pop over to Much Rampling and look into a rather disturbing murder that has the local police baffled....

Doug

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 01:37:29 PM »

I'm going to start off with the local Squire asking his old wartime friend, Captain Hastings, if he can persuade that funny little Belgian chappie that he knows to pop over to Much Rampling and look into a rather disturbing murder that has the local police baffled....

Doug

A perfect start :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Mr.Dodo

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 02:20:36 PM »
I second 6milphil's smuggled Pygmies- only they are disguised as choirboys and cubscouts! :D

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 04:33:58 PM »
Hi Doug

The curate would have had to be there for a while. For the first year of a person's curacy out of theology college, they are/were ordained deacon which meant that they would not be able to:-

a) "preside at communion" (do the "glass, bottle, bottle glass" bit with the bread and wine)
b) marry people
c) baptise people

After a year (if they got a good report from teh training vicar) they would be ordained priest.

That's interesting (note to self - don't get led off into interesting side roads..!); thanks for the info.

When you say "after a year............they would be ordained priest" am I right in thinking that they are still a curate? In other words, being ordained priest is not synonymous with being a vicar.

I know that this is not a question likely to trouble too many players but I'm interested to know and the more accurate a characters background, the easier it is to represent him.

Doug