Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:00:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686454
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Star Wars customs: Cad Bane, Boba Fett, and Rooster Cogburn  (Read 5647 times)

Offline Schweizer

• Librarian
    • The Crogan Adventures
Star Wars customs: Cad Bane, Boba Fett, and Rooster Cogburn
« on: January 30, 2011, 11:08:08 PM »
Custom Cad Bane and Boba Fett:

I had a twofold inspiration here.  First, both of the "real" versions of these figures go for no less than forty-plus dollars apiece, and there's no way I'm spending that much on an inch-and-a-half tall plastic figure.  I'm skeptical of dropping more than five, actually.  The second was that I saw YIU's excellent Cad Bane custom (http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=25481.0), and ordered one of the Rodian Black Sun Vigo figures that he used as the basis for his. 

I decided to go with different arms.  I cut two pistol-wielding limbs from a Rodian Mercenary figure...

...and put those on the Black Sun body, with a Duros Scoundrel head.  The pipes are plastic tubing, the hat brim plasticard, and the boot rockets plastic tubing as well.  A slice of plasticard on the hip also to give a hint of the holster behind the coat.

This was also the first time I've ever used green stuff.  One of my students gave me a little bit and talked me through how I should use it, and I am hooked.  I've tried doing detail work with sculpy before, but this is 10 times easier.  I used it to make the ammo-rounds belt, the hat top, and the wrist gauntlets, and to make the coat stand out against the now-larger waist.

Boba Fett was made from two miniatures that I already owned - a Mandalorian Gunslinger (for the helmet) and a Republic Commando Training Sergeant for the body.  The gun arm was originally at its side, but I cut and reglued it to have a more Boba Fett-like pose.  The rocket pack on the back comes from an Action Fleet Boba Fett that I had given to my little brother-in-law when he was a kid (he gave back all the old action fleet stuff when he got to high school), and the cape is plasticcard, folded and re-folded, with texture added with an x-acto knife.

I painted them both with acrylic and did an ink-wash - again, a first attempt.  I've never done an ink wash before, and kick myself for not having figured out how to do one earlier.

Riding high on enjoying the green stuff, I thought I'd try another custom, this one based on True Grit's one-eyed alcoholic over-the-hill marshall, Rooster Cogburn. 

Figured that if a two-eyed guy with one eye could be fun, then a THREE-eyed guy would be even MORE fun.  Decided to make the character a Gran, one of the species you see in Jabba the Hutt's throne room in Return of the Jedi

for the cut-off stems of the missing eyes, I used plastic tubing.  This mini was a learning experience - I was ridiculously happy with the pre-coat body and under-jacket, but didn't realize that you should sculpt in stages.  With each additional piece of the figure I added, the coat pushed harder against the body, killing the silhouette value I had achieved at the beginning.  He's a lot more compact than I'd originally intended.  His left hand, holding a bottle, was originally out to the side a bit for balance.

The legs, cut off at the top, were from an imperial officer figure, and I used them at the beginning to help me make sure I stayed in scale. The pistol comes from an Ishi Tib scout, whose overly dynamic pose I really didn't like.  Here's the original pose:

So anyway, I cut off the arms and replaced them with the arms of that Rodian Black Sun Vigo from earlier.  I put the chest and head on the lower-half of that Rodian Mercenary.  I also cut the cape down, as it was too thick to bend away from its backwards-flowing ways.  I'll paint the hands to match the face eventually, and now I have an Ishi Tib scout that I actually like:

Anyway, I'm hooked on the green stuff, so I'm going to start sculpting more, that's for sure!
Check out THE CROGAN ADVENTURES, a historical adventure graphic novel series available from your local bookstore or comic shop (or, of course, Amazon).  I make 'em.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
Re: Star Wars customs: Cad Bane, Boba Fett, and Rooster Cogburn
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 06:01:39 AM »
Coooooool! There is never enough StarWars going on!

Offline YIU

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 07:49:30 AM »
I already know the Cad Bane conversion  ;) but changing the guns is a good idea.

I like your Boba Fett too. One I didn't convert as I was lucky enough to get the original one.

Now, as you are a green stuff addict, what's next ?
I wish I were an octopus to paint more miniatures...Cthulhu must be a great painter

Offline Desertrat

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 05:39:11 PM »
Excellent conversion work, we want more !