Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:06:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691095
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Austro Hungarian Webbing  (Read 4796 times)

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
Austro Hungarian Webbing
« on: February 04, 2011, 01:49:50 PM »
Does any one know what the webbing looks like from the back?

Is it a 'Y' the same as German webbing?

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Austro Hungarian Webbing
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 02:15:35 PM »
Could be.  ;)

In general I don't think the A/H bothered much with webbing prefering to wear the ammunition pouches on the belt.

Most of the time I've seen any in webbing it's in conjunction with wearing a pack, so the back is covered. However I think (if I remember) that some A/H troops were equipped by the Germans, so it wouldn't be out of the realms of possibility.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 02:23:32 PM »
It was generally leather rather than webbing, though I have seen a few pictures where webbing shoulder straps are attached to the leather belt (I think those are part of the late-war backpack when leather was getting scarce).

I may be wrong but I don't think either the Germans or Austrians had the Y arrangement at this time (or if they did it was uncommon, like in the different equipment ski troops had for example). I believe any shoulder straps you see are part of the backpack arrangement. Almost always on photos when there is no backpack there are no shoulder straps.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 03:20:33 PM »
As far as I Know Germans did where the Y strap in WW1, Thats what they fit the assault pack to if i remember right, I've seen a picture somewhere.  :?

I know that Schipperfabrik sells them to re-enactors (not that that is proof) & has an explaination but nothing on the Austrians  :?

http://www.schipperfabrik.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=117_118_128&products_id=294

Thanks for the replies  :D

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 03:25:07 PM »
Thanks for the link. "Worn by pioneers, storm troopers and assault troops." So I was right in thinking they weren't worn by everybody as a matter of course, at least.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 03:35:20 PM »
Not sure how useful this is to you but I'll post it anyway on the offchance.

Late war the Austrian backpack is rather different. A big baggy canvas rucksack-like thing.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 03:58:53 PM »
Cheers for that  :D

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 07:51:17 PM »
Looking through my book "La Guerra Italo Austriaca 1915-1918" covering uniforms equipment etc I found a picture of the webbing. There is a Y strap at the back. It looks similar to the Germans, but I don't see the ring that supports the back strap connecting to the two shoulder straps. From the many photos of AH troops they seem to despense with the harness. The bread bag can be supported by the belt or flung over the shoulder with its own shoulder strap. The canteen has a shoulder strap too.

Cheers,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline al will

• Schoolboy
  • Nil illegitimi carborundum.
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 12:32:25 AM »
I reenact late WWI (1916-1918) as a German soldier. The German infantry soldier was not issued Y strap in the First World War, only Calvary units issued Y straps. The front straps seen on German soldiers are the leather straps of a backpack which hook onto a brass ring on the back of the ammo pouches wore on the belt. If the backpack is not being worn the German infantryman looped the heavy cloth strap from the bread bag behind the neck and hooked onto the ammo pouches to support the weight of the ammo pouches. The Austro-Hungarian infantry soldier wore a backpack which attached to the ammo pouches like the Germans. When not wearing the backpack the ammo pouches just hung on the belt.

For photo references I recommend http://www.great-war-assoc.org/ and click on the GWA UNITS link. Most of the units post reenactment photos on our unit sites and we of the GWA pride ourself in being as accurate in uniform and equipment as possible. Be sure to check out the 63. K.u.K. Infanterie-Regiment site for Austro-Hungarian info.

Hope this helps

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 12:35:07 AM by al will »