Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:13:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Islamic Republic of Iran Army Scorpion  (Read 4091 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
Islamic Republic of Iran Army Scorpion
« on: February 20, 2011, 10:35:56 AM »
1 Iranian Scorpion done

Aerials are removable for transport, Hezbollah flag and licence plates handpainted, roundel decals by Doms Decals, and the basemodel by Britannia. Tank commander by Platoon 20 (I think), a cut down Argentinian Infantryman
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
Re: Islamic Republic of Iran Army Scorpion
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 11:02:51 AM »
Very neat, though thats the one thing that always got me about Iran, many countries such as the U.S or U.K don't get along with Iran, but why then does Iran have a lot of U.K and U.S equipment? They even have U.S Cobras.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 11:39:25 AM »
Very neat, though thats the one thing that always got me about Iran, many countries such as the U.S or U.K don't get along with Iran, but why then does Iran have a lot of U.K and U.S equipment? They even have U.S Cobras.

Time for a history lesson perhaps? Pre the Revolution Iran was rules by the Shah, and he purchased large quantities of equipment from, amongst other, the UK and the USA. Why, if it wasn't for the Shah the Brits might not have had the Challenger (well, maybe much later) and if the Revolution had come later the Iranian Air Force would have received a large quantity of F-16's which now went on to Israel.

To the Iranians peoples credit (not that I like the current regime, not one damn bit, but don't judge citizens by their leadership) they have proven very adapt at making what they can't get and scrounching what they can't make ever since the embargo. It does make the continual retoric of the great Satan and friends a bit comical though when 2/3 of their forces uses (reconditioned) Western tech, albeit of 80's quality

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 09:27:34 PM »
Very nice work, as always but the model itself looks a little dodgy. Brittannia did you say?
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 07:34:13 AM »
Yes, Britannia. 20mm. The barrel is overized, and I trimmed off all of the turret stowage boxes bar the one on the rear, so that might make it look different. Headlights can be above or below the bar, they are threaded in, very handy. What part looks dodgy to you?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 08:08:59 AM »
General proportions, in particular the turret. The turret on the real thing is a fair bit shallower than on this kit. Airfix got it more or less right circa nineteen seventy-something. Actually, to be honesy the Airfix version looks a fair sight better over all in terms of its proportions. No criticism of the modeller implied, You've done a cracking job.

Barrels are tricky. I've just started tarting up some diecast Saladins and finding a decent sized bit of brass tubing has been an interesting exercise but I'm happy enough with the compromise I've made.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 08:47:45 AM »
Yes, Britannia always claimed Wargamersfriendly over actual replicas which means some are beauties and others can be ugly ducklings. You can also see a clear difference between older and later sculpts. They are always easy to assemble and quick to paint, fortunately. But I see your point, comment appreciated.

I see I'm buying a lot of tuned barrels these days, for improved looks and durability, but as not everything is made I make them myself as well. I tend to go a bit overscale unless I keep my plans ready, and is this case I could have left off the outer sleeve, but as I had done it to my first one I made for the BOAR I thought what the heck. No one mistakes it for the wrong thing now  lol

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 09:31:30 AM »
Still Great kit, I am sure if you had the Scorpion gun barrel exactly like the one they normally have mounted on that vehicle it might well snap of!

But I always have the concept that when it comes to the differences in 28mm to 20mm, 20mm detail and accuracy doesn't matter so much as the former.

This is 20mm isn't it? I can't remember if Britannia does 28mm vehicles, but either way. On a gaming table often the troops and the vehicles are small enough that smaller detail cannot really be seen, nor can any 'incorrect' bits of the vehicle etc. I've always found 20mm infantry a lot harder to paint than 28mm weirdly, as for tanks it really depends.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 09:37:59 AM »
Thankx Brummie,

I have the opposite with painting 28mm infantry, 1 of those takes me as long as a platoon of 20's  lol
But you are correct, the lower in scale you go, the more dumbed down detail gets, though don't be foolded, 20mm can still be very detailed. I try to stick to the 1 metere away on the table rule, but find myself creepint to 1 foot and closer at times....I just really like the little details.

Britannia does 20mm vehicles as well as a few 28mm, but with Dave's recent death I'm not sure what will happen to that range. The shop should be open again in a few weeks, if all goes well.