Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:33:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tudor houses?  (Read 4677 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Tudor houses?
« on: March 05, 2011, 11:06:31 AM »
To you antiquarrians. Are the panels between  beams always white washed or natural brick? I am of course talking about the real deal, not  the  noveau, plaster front suburban variant.

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
Re: Tudor houses?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 01:56:29 PM »
I'm not even sure if there was brickwork between the wooden frames. At least in Germany a lot of the houses were constructed by using some woven wooden mats that were later clad in clay. I asume only the filthy rich could afford bricks between the frames (that variant also existed). But then again Tudor Style is a special style of timber framing from those crazy islanders, who also invented Dr Who. So only some elder god might know, what they might have used instead of clay or bricks ;)

Here's a wikipedia picture link for the clay method: German Wikipedia picture EDIT:For those that don't understand German: the description says the outer clay is was removed, this isn't the natural look

I asume the stones were filled in later when the window (looks like a window frame to me) was no longer needed and people had long ago forgotten how to use clay for wall inserts.

EDIT:My guess: when I think of human nature I asume Tudor houses were not buildt with brick. Because if bricks were the expensive variant, and if you had the money to afford this: What would you do? I'd leave the brickwork visible, so everyone sees I'm filthy rich.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 02:05:58 PM by Glitzer »
Far less active than I used to...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 02:28:59 PM »
In Britain at least, the original look of timber-framed houses wasn't the smart black and white style so familiar now, but natural wood and the colour of the mud used.

Like so:

I think the black-and-white look was a style that later generations invented for these old buildings. The old look has made a comeback in recent times, though.

I'm not even sure if there was brickwork between the wooden frames.

You do see timber-frame buildings with uncovered brickwork in Britain. There are loads around here where I live. But I'm not sure what period they date from.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 02:33:05 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 04:20:20 PM »
Cool. I was hoping I could use some earth pigments rather than white. My wife put me off when she told me yellow ochre etc. was in the National Romantic style and not original Renaissance.

Offline McYellowbelly

• Mad Scientist
    • Terrain Monkey blog
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 05:48:21 PM »
Local clays usually determined the colour of the panels, ochre, pinky, red....all ok.
The plaster/ dung-straw mix was applied over wattle panelling
Brick infills were sometimes used as repairs, or in some cases for all the panels.
You don't scare me lady, I've been drinking with skeletons080918083132.png

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 06:09:35 PM »
The black and White was introduced in (surprise surprise) the Victorian era. As others have mentioned the panels would have been primarily te colour of the local clay used, although I have heard of examples where rudimentary dye was used to give a more vibrant colour (obviously not fluresant  :) and generally on the richer houses) or whitewashing, but not a brilliant White, more if an off-white.

The brick work was also used on richer houses and there are several patterns or bonds that were used, such as herringbone, Flemish and English bond. The brickwork was purely  decorative with the wooden frame giving the building it's strength, the main reason why herringbone is used as it has virtually no structural strength.

The wood would have been treated at the time of construction giving the freshly cut wood a darker appearance which would then 'silver' over time.

So basically what you want is brown and cream  lol

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 06:50:39 PM »
Oh stop fannying around. Just paint 'em black and white  ;)  lol

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 08:03:27 PM »
Well, I have already sprayed the wooden frames in burnt umber, followed by raw sienna/burnt umber and lastly a grey brown light earth. I like the look of it. Masonry will be sandstone and I think I will go for a mudded down yellow ochre OR muddy offf white  in the panels.

I was happy to see flat brick tiles *are* used for roofing in the UK, for some reason I thought that was a French and Bavarian thing.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 08:27:05 PM »
Walls could be given a wash of lime, which is basically white.

Roof tiles might be slate if you are on the Welsh border, but walls could be slate there too.

This one is slightly post Tudor :
http://www.petersommer.com/about-peter-sommer-travels/tales-from-the-green-valley/

This might help - it's not Tudor but the building techniques are ok and it hasn't been repainted by the Victorians :
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/rome-wasnt-built-in-a-day
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)