Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:37:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: VBCW Sourcebooks - how useful?  (Read 9483 times)

Online Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Re: VBCW Sourcebooks - how useful?
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2011, 11:56:18 PM »
Nice listings, but couldn't see any pictures.  How do they compare to Musketeer and Artizan?  Liking the idea of a Royal Gloucestershire Hussars unit..........

John, scroll down to the 3rd pic on the link, the mounted BUF are Reiver castings, it will give you an idea with the Musketeer figures on foot next to them.

http://gwargamesp.18.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=3913

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2011, 01:25:20 AM »
I have some of their WWI cavalry which I am painting up as the Leicestershire Yeomanry. As most of my force as Musketeer I have to the mounted trooper are very close to musketeer and atizan. However the dismounted troops are a little bit smaller but still look ok. They do look better painted than their pictures. Also try this link http://reivercasting.wordpress.com/ for some pictures. I can recommend them.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2011, 04:55:49 PM »
I'm looking to start up a VBCW army or two, centred around some action in my home town of Wigan.  However before I start how useful in a general sense are the sourcebooks?

In a word - "Extremely".

:)

They are meant as a guide, rather than a rule, but will hopefully provide some inspiration, and background fluff, from which to develop your own.

Am a real fan of VBCW, and although I am selling some VBCW figures off (link, in my sig) its only to make room, for even more VBCW madness.

Enjoy!

8)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2011, 05:53:38 PM »
Thanks, Phil.  On my to get list, I already have (in my lead shed) all the Arizan, Musketeer and Gripping Beast figs, with a lot of Bob Murch's.  Waiting to get Paul Hicks' new ones and then these.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline The Breaker

• Scientist
  • Enjoyably annoying
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2011, 08:24:21 AM »
Could you use these rules for some action in Sydney?
"We shot them under rule 303"

Offline Big Martin

• Scientist
  • Wargamer, Re-enactor & Failed Historian
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2011, 01:02:58 PM »
As author of part of one of the books, I'd say "they're just a guide". There's some nice stuff in them but you don't have to own them to play.
Tutenes, Atque Cujus Exercitus?

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2011, 10:03:09 AM »
As author of part of one of the books, I'd say "they're just a guide". There's some nice stuff in them but you don't have to own them to play.

I agree. The idea was to make some suggestions or to prompt other people's imaginations. If you bear in mind that when the books were written, we were operating with a blank canvas and each contributor has added a few brush strokes. There's still a lot of gaps waiting to be filled. That being said, the time lines of the bits already done aren't so inflexible that you can't do your own thing with an area already covered.

All you really need are; whatever rules take your fancy and some vaguely 1930s figures... There's nothing you can't live without in the books.

They are of course extremely well written and presented, would make great conversation pieces when tastefully arranged on your coffee table!  :D