Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:15:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Col Fred Burnaby in miniature  (Read 11565 times)

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
Re: Col Fred Burnaby in miniature
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 11:32:41 AM »
I've got a nice Great War miniature of an officer with a double barreled shotgun slung over his arm. Could work with conversion for either of those two Empress figures methinks.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 09:22:11 PM »
I've got a nice Great War miniature of an officer with a double barreled shotgun slung over his arm. Could work with conversion for either of those two Empress figures methinks.

Interesting suggestion, but I don't now if I'd try that. It may be too expensive and too much effort involved. Don't know how compatible the figure would be with my Sudan stuff.

The Empress chaps appear to be fairly compatible with my Perrys (whose RN figures also work very well with Copplestone's, oddly enough) At least the spare heads I have are  lol, so I think they will be the range to go for.

When I finally manage to put a proper order in I think I'll go for the mounted and dismounted figures in the original post. I reckon they are similar enough to get away with using them both as Fred - and then just look at giving the foot version a shotgun. Looking again at the first pic, the Fred-alike does appear to be quite a bit taller than the others, so a double thickness base might just be enough to give him the required stature.
The other characters that come in those sets are also lovely figures, so they will go into my Darkest Africa/Zulu War rabble. A couple of packs of other ranks to form a full unit and maybe a gun, possibly some Irregular horse and of course you never have enough Zulus........

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 07:43:16 AM »
For me a model of Burnaby should be armed with his 4 barrelled pistol - can't remember the make, but very distinctive.  :)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 08:54:25 AM »
For me a model of Burnaby should be armed with his 4 barrelled pistol - can't remember the make, but very distinctive.  :)

Lancaster Pistol. Military Illustrated Number 12 has an article on him including some lovely coloured illustrations.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 09:00:41 AM »
That's the one  :D

I remembered it was in one of the earlier Military Illustrated issues, I'll have to dig it out.

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 09:50:55 AM »
That's the one  :D

I remembered it was in one of the earlier Military Illustrated issues, I'll have to dig it out.

I now it's a bit out of your usual period, but (being a bit cheeky here) do you fancy making one? Maybe with an attached hand to ease the conversion process? I know it's probably not feasible in commercial terms and you're also busy with your own range, so no worries when you say no  lol

I could then have three Freds - one with shotgun, one with big f***-off pistol and the third mounted.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 10:21:22 PM »
I now it's a bit out of your usual period, but (being a bit cheeky here) do you fancy making one? Maybe with an attached hand to ease the conversion process? I know it's probably not feasible in commercial terms and you're also busy with your own range, so no worries when you say no  lol

I could then have three Freds - one with shotgun, one with big f***-off pistol and the third mounted.

Actually Gluteus Maximus, I'm a big fan of the Victorian era, and that's a tempting idea, but I mustn't get distracted .......... not .... yet..anyway  lol

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 11:21:42 PM »
Actually Gluteus Maximus, I'm a big fan of the Victorian era, and that's a tempting idea, but I mustn't get distracted .......... not .... yet..anyway  lol

I'm with GM, just to have the miniature, the Victorian hero in all his splendor an armed to the hilt. Okay, it would be a nice addtion to the collection.

Helen

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 09:50:24 AM »
I'm with GM, just to have the miniature, the Victorian hero in all his splendor an armed to the hilt. Okay, it would be a nice addtion to the collection.

Helen

Thanks Helen! If more people think the same, maybe we can make him cave in and do it....  lol

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 03:13:25 PM »
I'm a big fan of the Victorian era, and that's a tempting idea, but I mustn't get distracted .......... not .... yet..anyway  lol

Oh go, get distracted ;) :D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 02:27:16 PM »
Is it worth contacting the Perry twins direct to ask if they would make such a figure?  ;)

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 03:59:32 PM »
It would be an excellent character figure for them.  I'll add "Young" Winston Churchill to the list.  Who else should we nominate for the "Sudan Characters" pack?

Col Fred Burnaby
"Young" Winston Churchill
-Tommy

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 04:27:57 PM »
Is it worth contacting the Perry twins direct to ask if they would make such a figure?  ;)

It certainly is a good idea. I don't know how they are with suggestions and they seem to have enough on their plates do for 5 other sculptors. Worth a try though!
It would be an excellent character figure for them.  I'll add "Young" Winston Churchill to the list.  Who else should we nominate for the "Sudan Characters" pack?

Col Fred Burnaby
"Young" Winston Churchill

Winston was only in the Sudan from around 1898, so is probably outside the scope of the Perrys' current range. I'm sure there are plenty of other likely lads form the early 1880s though  :)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 04:40:09 PM »
Well, I've emailed them the request, so we'll see whether or not it's feasible  :D

If not, then it's Plan B and buying a couple of packs of Empress for a conversion or two. I'll get the packs anyway, as they will all be good for other Darkest Africa games.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 07:32:16 PM »
Well, knock me down with a feather! Here's the reply from Alan Perry :

"Hello Ian
Yes, don't worry, he's on the list......quite high up on the list actually.
All the best
Alan"

Absolutely brilliant and much respect to him for making time to reply so promptly.

Yes, it's official - not only are the Perrys great sculptors/painters, they are also great guys  ;D

Oh and I've ordered the other figures from Empress, so it's good news all round!