Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:55:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fred Burnaby Photo Test Shots.  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Fred Burnaby Photo Test Shots.
« on: July 23, 2020, 10:06:21 PM »
I've been waiting all week for the weather to take a turn for the better so I could get down and dirty with my camera taking a few test shots for a big project that I have in mind but it's been "hoying it down" and miserable all week as we say in the NE.

so, I resorted to two daylight lamps, a printed off back ground image of a mountainous region in Afghanistan and a small vignette. The idea is to get the pictures taken and sent off for publication but I will definitely wait until the light improves as daylight is just so much better for getting a great image.

Apologies for Burnaby making another appearance in this sub fora; that particular vignette is the one I have been asked to photograph so I would hardly go with something else.

I would appreciate any advice regarding the images as I know there is a lot of room for improvement.

Oh, one last thing, it was noticeable that the vignette was in need of another coat of matt varnish and will be getting one tomorrow :)

If you're interested in seeing more please do pop over to my blog here:
https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2020/07/fred-burnaby-test-shots.html

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Fred Burnaby Photo Test Shots.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 10:29:20 PM »
Great pics Atheling and AMAZING brushwork!  :o

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 01:15:49 AM »
Not too bad,a bit grim. But that’s me. You need to blur the background a little,lower the the aperture value on your camera,and use the centre spot focus.
Cheero
BW
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 08:31:29 AM »
Great pics Atheling and AMAZING brushwork!  :o

Thanks Bravo- appreciated :)

Not too bad,a bit grim. But that’s me.

Yes, it's grim. But Victorian attitudes towards other ethnic groups were very grim to say the least. Also, warfare had always been horrific.

BTW, for the record, I've been actively involved in fighting racism since I was 15. (Not Antifa but through social democratic means). Just in case anyone draws the wrong conclusions.

You need to blur the background a little,lower the the aperture value on your camera,and use the centre spot focus.
Cheero
BW

Thanks Blackwolf  8) . I'll look into that. It's a puzzle as the manual assumed that one has a degree of knowledge that is beyond anything I was taught at Art School  o_o

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 07:27:59 PM »
Ignore the posturing, Atheling.  ::) Marvelous brushwork - this vignette would be a great addition to any Sudan table!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 08:10:22 PM »
I don't think anyone thinks you are a racist, Atheling. I didn't even think that's what Blackwolf meant. I wouldn't twist yourself in knots about it. As for the depth of field, I actually think it's fine. It's an artistic choice really, at least that's my tuppence-worth.  A blurred background is cool, but it's certainly not mandatory. :)

It is grim, even the Victorians at the time thought so. Burnaby copped a lot of stick for using a double-barrelled shotgun at El Teb. I think they thought it "wasn't cricket." So while it may be grim, it is historically accurate.

A great vignette, there. You are really spoiling us at the minute.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 08:43:54 PM »
I don't think anyone thinks you are a racist, Atheling. I didn't even think that's what Blackwolf meant. I wouldn't twist yourself in knots about it. As for the depth of field, I actually think it's fine. It's an artistic choice really, at least that's my tuppence-worth.  A blurred background is cool, but it's certainly not mandatory. :)

It is grim, even the Victorians at the time thought so. Burnaby copped a lot of stick for using a double-barrelled shotgun at El Teb. I think they thought it "wasn't cricket." So while it may be grim, it is historically accurate.

Victorians could be an odd bunch. I remember reading that Lugard banned the use of explosive ammo, fired from Elephant guns, when he took charge of the African Lakes Company forces at Karonga on humanitarian grounds. Yet a few years later in Uganda he was quite happy to employ Maxim guns and breach loading rifles with seemingly no loss of conscience.

Offline DanimalKingdom

• Student
    • Inch-High & Terrified
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 09:15:29 PM »
Victorians could be an odd bunch. I remember reading that Lugard banned the use of explosive ammo, fired from Elephant guns, when he took charge of the African Lakes Company forces at Karonga on humanitarian grounds. Yet a few years later in Uganda he was quite happy to employ Maxim guns and breach loading rifles with seemingly no loss of conscience.

Jesus, I didn't know that. We British have a, hm, questionable past!

My favourite line about being British is one from John Oliver: 'being British is like being an alcoholic; people keep telling you about awful things you've done and you can only say 'I don't remember doing that, but it sounds like something we would do.'

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 12:38:56 AM »

Exactly. Thanks Plynkes :)

Atheling ,now do one of him as per the National Portrait Gallery,or in a balloon  lol

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 05:58:52 AM »
Thanks guys.

As you certainly know that was what Michael had in mind when he created the mini; same for me with the vignette. It was painted up roughly six years ago- the recent pics were taken as test shots for publication (I can't at this point offer more in terms of embellishment).

This does of course bring up the subject of portraying war in an honest manner- perhaps similar to the standards we expect and rarely get from historical movies.

At the risk of going a little OT, Oliver Stone did a recent interview on a well known podcast where he lambasted certain Vietnam movies for not being honest in their portrayal of violence. He fought and was wounded in that war on a few occasions so I deem his opinion to have a degree of validation. If anyone is interested PM me and I can fire a link to you.

Exactly. Thanks Plynkes :)

An apology is in order to Blackwolf- When I made the rather short comment I was in the middle of getting branded a racist on Facebook for posting pics of the vignette. This was getting very out of hand with thinly veiled charges being levelled at me. It was all getting a bit much and was quite upsetting. What a day! It hit me quite hard. :(

Atheling ,now do one of him as per the National Portrait Gallery,or in a balloon  lol

Blimey! Never tempt a fool!  lol The British army did make use of balloons in the Sudan  o_o lol Oh lordy! What have you set in motion? :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 07:49:59 AM by Atheling »

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 07:00:17 AM »
A lovely piece . Nicely done
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/