Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:15:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Col Fred Burnaby in miniature  (Read 11566 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Col Fred Burnaby in miniature
« on: March 12, 2011, 05:42:59 PM »
I recently read about his exploits in Mike Snooks lovely book "Go Strong Into The Desert" and that has made me re-read his biography. He was a genuine Victorian hero and I really have to have him in my Sudan force!

This is the pic of him from the book (as originally posted on TMP):

Apparently there is nothing similar in the various Sudan ranges - a surprising omission considering his fame in Victorian Britain. There are however a couple of likely lads in Empress Minis' Zulu range.

The officer in patrol jacket on the far right here:

and the mounted artillery officer here:

However, I'd really like him to be holding his trademark shotgun, so if anyone knows of any suitable figure, or a source of 28mm shotguns, I'd be very grateful  :)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: Col Fred Burnaby in miniature
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 05:47:35 PM »
Redoubt do SDX 20 COLONEL FRED BARNABY IN BRAIDED PATROL JACKET WITH SHOTGUN.
http://www.redoubtenterprises.com/shop/?page=shop/browse&category_id=b92c5ede328cbc97293fbc1695e63cd8

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 06:09:04 PM »
I like the idea of the Empress chap myself. Change the sword for a shotgun and turn the head to make the pose look more natural.

Would it be a double or single barrelled shotgun?  More than happy to have a go if you can get me the donor fig. It could be a belated birthday present.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 06:23:10 PM »
Burnaby was 6'4" so, your average Joe is not going to cut it. Also, IIRC, he used the shotgun in 1884, copped a lot of flak for using such an unsporting weapon and didn't use it in 1885.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 06:48:16 PM »
When I first seen the picture I thought of the mounted empire figure. Then I scrolled down to see you think the same.
I have recently cut a shotgun off of a Victorian figure. No stock left but the rest is in one piece from the cocking hammers forward. You are welcome to it if it is of any use?

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 07:13:01 PM »
I have the Redoubt Barnaby and he is HUGE. I actually shortened his legs to be able to use him together with my Foundry figs  :D

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 09:54:08 PM »
Redoubt do SDX 20 COLONEL FRED BARNABY IN BRAIDED PATROL JACKET WITH SHOTGUN.
http://www.redoubtenterprises.com/shop/?page=shop/browse&category_id=b92c5ede328cbc97293fbc1695e63cd8

Thanks! I haven't really looked at the Redoubt British, as they do tend to be gangly and don't mix in too well with Perry, Empress etc. Whilst I like their Beja ( being irregulars I'll happily use them with others), I'm not too keen on their British. Something to keep in mind should all else fail though.

Burnaby was 6'4" so, your average Joe is not going to cut it. Also, IIRC, he used the shotgun in 1884, copped a lot of flak for using such an unsporting weapon and didn't use it in 1885.

I'm really only doing the very early stuff - Baker Pasha and 2nd El Teb etc, so the shotgun is ok historically. I will probably stick him on a thick base to make him more imposing. It's odd that Victorian Britain thought it perfectly acceptable to mow hundreds of the enemy down with the Gatling gun, but not relatively few with a widely owned hunting weapon  ::)

When I first seen the picture I thought of the mounted empire figure. Then I scrolled down to see you think the same.
I have recently cut a shotgun off of a Victorian figure. No stock left but the rest is in one piece from the cocking hammers forward. You are welcome to it if it is of any use?

Thans for the offer! I may well take you up on it!

I like the idea of the Empress chap myself. Change the sword for a shotgun and turn the head to make the pose look more natural.

Would it be a double or single barrelled shotgun?  More than happy to have a go if you can get me the donor fig. It could be a belated birthday present.

That's very kind indeed! I will probably buy the pack, as the other figures would come in useful for other African stuff, so if I do get around to it I'll let you know. As ever, if you need anything let me know and I'll try and get it.

Thanks for all the useful replies, chaps!    :D

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 01:46:37 AM »
I recently read about his exploits in Mike Snooks lovely book "Go Strong Into The Desert" and that has made me re-read his biography. He was a genuine Victorian hero and I really have to have him in my Sudan force!

Apparently there is nothing similar in the various Sudan ranges - a surprising omission considering his fame in Victorian Britain. There are however a couple of likely lads in Empress Minis' Zulu range.

I to have always fancied making a figure of Burnaby, due to another book you must read "On Horseback Through Asia Minor"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Horseback-Through-Asia-Minor/dp/0192825003

An absolutely fantastic book written by the man himself.

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 03:34:43 AM »
I have the Redoubt Barnaby and he is HUGE.

He's the one historical persona whose Redoubt version would scale properly with other ranges!
-Tommy

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 09:25:57 AM »

I to have always fancied making a figure of Burnaby, due to another book you must read "On Horseback Through Asia Minor"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Horseback-Through-Asia-Minor/dp/0192825003

An absolutely fantastic book written by the man himself.

Thanks for the URL. A bit pricey at the moment, but I've saved it on my Amazon wishlist  :D

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 09:28:45 AM »
He's the one historical persona whose Redoubt version would scale properly with other ranges!

lol True! I'm not that keen on the figure though (judging by the bare-metal pic) and much prefer Mr Hicks' lovely figures. If all else fails, I might pick him up at Triples this year though. You never know, with a bit of paint slapped on he might look better  ;)

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 07:10:20 PM »

Thanks for the URL. A bit pricey at the moment, but I've saved it on my Amazon wishlist  :D

A lot cheaper from Abe books
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?bt.x=63&bt.y=8&sts=t&tn=on+horseback+through+asia+minor

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 07:48:50 PM »
I always thought Stephen Fry would make a good Burnaby, if I ever got around to making my epic Sudan movie. He certainly has the build for it, and also the ability to capture a certain languid something of Fred that this picture displays.

Unfortunately he's at least ten years too old and a bit fat to play him now. Really should have started on my film directing career a bit sooner. Oh well.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 09:28:50 AM »
Yes, he does have something of a 19thC gentleman's air about him and he's a very good actor. It would certainly have been interesting to see him in a British square taking pot-shots at the Fuzzies  :)

A lot cheaper from Abe books
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?bt.x=63&bt.y=8&sts=t&tn=on+horseback+through+asia+minor

That's fantastic! I never thought to look there. Oddly, every other book I've looked for recently has been a lot cheaper at Amazon ::)

Thanks very much for that URL - I'm off to order one now!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 09:38:12 AM »
In regards to  the picture of the painting Plynkes put up; 'A Young Exquisite of the Household Cavalry'. Rather charming I think,oh and the painting is by Tissot (not Googled ;)).
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.