Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 07:31:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696331
  • Total Topics: 118759
  • Online Today: 465
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Any good modelling books?  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Trysop

• Scientist
Any good modelling books?
« on: April 04, 2011, 02:48:31 PM »
Hello,

I recently picked up a book on military modelling called the encyclopaedia of military modelling which has proven very helpful to me in developing some of the much needed know how to make the ideas in my head into reality.

I was wondering if there were any other good titles out there on the subject of scale modelling, sculpting etc. I have seen a few book that cover the topic, but only as an annex to model painting and as more of an introduction. I am aware that Osprey have done a few books, but from what I remember they are based around a particular tank / kit and so I am not sure how useful they are.

If you have any suggestions for good books I would appreciate you sharing them with me.

Thank you

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
Re: Any good modelling books?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 02:57:09 PM »
I thought this one was good:

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 03:46:48 PM »
I bought this one and wish I hadn't bothered. Absolute pile of feeble tosh. Promises much - delivers almost nothing. You could glean more useful info about how to make good looking terrain from a 10 minute trawl here on LAF than reading this book  ::)

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 04:09:32 PM »
Making Terrain and Buildings for Historical Wargames

I agree with Captain Blood, a waste of money!

Here are some that I would recommend;

The Encyclopaedia of Modelmaking Techniques by Christopher Payne
The Modelmakers Handbook by Albert Jackson and David Day
Modelismo Aplicado (Dioramas) Spanish Language by Ediciones Contrastes
Model Building Masterclass by Roy Porters
Terrain Modelling by Richard Windrow
Buildings for the Military Modeller by Ian Weekley

and two more;
Imperial Armour Model Masterclass by Forgeworls
Model Airplanes by Harry Woodman

I hope that these suggestions help.

Tony

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 06:30:17 PM »
The GW terrain and figure painting guides are pretty good beginner-intermediate level books. If you can get them cheap on ebay, then all the better.

Ian Weekley's book on buildings is inspirational, if a little old fashioned. I have the Military Modelling special by Stan Catchpole which was a compliation of all his articles in the magazine. Although aimed at 54mm or larger it is packed great tips on everything from making icicles to weathering afvs.

Digital version here:
http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/24200/stand-catchpole%27s-modelling-workshop-digital-edition

Another great source of terrain,vehicle and building inspiration are the many railway modelling books. I have a few I got cheap a few years back and they really cover everything. Funny how most railway modellers can make ultra-realistic layouts, but can't paint figures  lol

Offline Cadet13

• Scientist
  • "Now I have a machinegun. HO HO HO."
    • http://chucksnapwargames.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 07:03:20 PM »
I have the Osprey Modelling Manual #8 Modelling and Painting Figures. Lots of tips and techniques, and covers both modelling and painting equally, with slightly more emphasis on the modelling. It's a bit dated, but good for inspiration if nothing else.  :)

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 07:51:16 PM »
I fully agree with the comments on the Stan Catchpole's hints and tips and the further comment about model railway modelling - particularly the American Railway Modelling books which tend to be more diorama based than toy railway based.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 10:13:11 PM »
I bought this one and wish I hadn't bothered. Absolute pile of feeble tosh. Promises much - delivers almost nothing. You could glean more useful info about how to make good looking terrain from a 10 minute trawl here on LAF than reading this book  ::)

Seconded.  The book is about what terrain I have purchased, not how to make it.
The GW terrain and figure painting guides are pretty good beginner-intermediate level books. If you can get them cheap on ebay, then all the better.
That one is not bad, but it is geared toward GW games and products. 
Model railway books are helpful, and there are several railroad magazines that have great articles.  The train store is where I usually shop for how to books.
Snitchy sends.   
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Trysop

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 01:30:23 PM »
Hello,

Thank you all for your recommendations and warnings. I now have a few very promising titles to follow up on. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers