Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:11:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Latest inspiring movie received  (Read 218130 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Latest inspiring movie received
« Reply #270 on: July 30, 2008, 01:32:32 PM »
Somebody has been watching a lot lately, huh? lol

I just recieved a documentary about Emperor William II. of Germany called "Majestät brauchen Sonne". It's basically about how he built up his image in public by the use and subtle manipulation of films and photos of him. Well, not so much the films themselves but when and how he was filmed. Haven't seen it yet but I hope to gain some insight into the time around the turn of the 19th to 20th century.

Is that the Peter Schamoni one? Excellent piece, with a lot of fascinating imagery (look out for the Imperial Wedding of 1913).

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #271 on: July 30, 2008, 08:36:48 PM »
We got one really good idea out of it regarding the drums.  I think my friends and I might include drums in a giant Darkest Africa game at a convention.  Each of the various gamemasters around the table will be issued with drums which they will ostensibly use to communicate with each other.

That sounds like an awesome idea! You will let us know if you manage to implement it successfully, won't you?

I like to think that I'm for the most part in tune with English culture (which isn't very hard here in Scandinavia, where we've largely supplanted Germany with Great Britain as our cultural older brother these days), but I must admit I don't really know the first thing about this Biggles character I keep hearing about. I saw that time travelling movie long ago (I actually found it quite enjoyable) but apparently I never registered that was meant to be Biggles in it.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Invicta

• Assistant
« Reply #272 on: July 31, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »
Picked these up for the wife, she loved the series.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #273 on: July 31, 2008, 09:28:43 AM »
I got the boxed set of those for Christmas, Invicta. Well worth a watch if you haven't already.

And after reading Alan Moore's LOXG: Black Dossier story about Jeeves and Wooster vs Cthulhu, it opens up all sorts of possibilities when you rewatch the series...

Edit: Thinking about it, the series is a good source of inspiration for painting too, lots of lovely period costumes and art deco architecture, especially in the ones set in New York. Bertie's apartment is absolutely gorgeous.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 03:28:32 PM by JollyBob »

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #274 on: July 31, 2008, 01:08:49 PM »
Good lord, I desperately need to own that!

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #275 on: August 01, 2008, 12:33:13 AM »
I love it when they have DVD sales. Just picked up:

The Magnificent Seven
Von Ryan's Express
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
Gods & Generals (prequel to Gettysburg)

So little time, so many books and movies....
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #276 on: August 10, 2008, 12:35:23 PM »
Now don't start lauging but it's John Rambo...

Actually better than I feared, not as good as I hoped for but at least plenty of djungel and river shots. Got to make some more terrain after watching it...
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #277 on: August 10, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
Not received but watched on telly last night: Sahara.

Very modern pulpiness... and Penelope Cruz in a bikini adds a little spice  ;)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #278 on: August 10, 2008, 03:51:13 PM »
Sahara is an almost perfect beer movie. It's loud, stupid and makes no sense when you actually think about it, but Matthew McConnaghy and Steve Zahn exude blokey charm and Penelope Cruz has never looked better. Great stuff.

In other news, I just picked up a movie I have been looking for for ages:

Not much into western gaming, but some films just make you want to start.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #279 on: August 10, 2008, 10:10:06 PM »
Ya know, when I think of Sahara, I think of this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahara_%281943_American_film%29

Even the Jim Belushi remake isn't too bad (unnecessary, since they pretty much copied the original scene for scene, but still watchable).  And it makes for a great little wargames scenario, and a great chance to see a M3 Lee in a movie!

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #280 on: August 11, 2008, 12:49:22 AM »
Not received but watched on telly last night: Sahara.

Very modern pulpiness... and Penelope Cruz in a bikini adds a little spice  ;)

I just love that movie. "Are we really looking for a civil war ship in the middle of the dessert because of an old painting on the walls of a cave? We should rethink our decision-making process..." (or something along the line). If that isn't pulp I don't know anything...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #281 on: August 11, 2008, 01:05:11 AM »
Ghengis Khan (the japanese one) dire, absolutely dire

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #282 on: August 19, 2008, 04:25:48 PM »
I spent the other night tending to fiver, son of hammershield, who is in a sort of home made therapy to get of his ...hrm... nightly mammary dependency. So how does an hour of quality father/son time pass over at the hammershield residence? Well, spent watching Finnish war movies, of course! I recently aquired a copy of the afformentioned 'Tali-Ihantala 1944' and I must say, we both liked it! It is certainly lacking in drama but not in the dramatic and there is something to say about action being played out between a quite impressive array of real T34s and Stug IIIs. Lovely! Authentic gear galore! It even had a Fw190 and Stukas.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #283 on: August 20, 2008, 01:04:06 AM »
I spent the other night tending to fiver, son of hammershield, who is in a sort of home made therapy to get of his ...hrm... nightly mammary dependency. So how does an hour of quality father/son time pass over at the hammershield residence? Well, spent watching Finnish war movies, of course! I recently aquired a copy of the afformentioned 'Tali-Ihantala 1944' and I must say, we both liked it! It is certainly lacking in drama but not in the dramatic and there is something to say about action being played out between a quite impressive array of real T34s and Stug IIIs. Lovely! Authentic gear galore! It even had a Fw190 and Stukas.

Hi Peder,

Is this movie worth purchasing and if so do you know of an outlet I can get to online to acquire?

Thanks so much.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #284 on: August 20, 2008, 09:16:21 AM »
Helen! You're back! We've missed you and your grey towel!

I shall have a look arround. I know a sordid little Finlander who runs a whole-in-the-wall radio store in Old Town, Stockholm. He has a unmatched assortment of Suomi blue and war movies.

Edit: the official release in Sweden (which cannot be far behind Finlands since Swedish is still an official language there) is August 27. I must have a Finnish market copy. You can get it from www.discshop.se. Or I can buy it for you and send it your way. I believe it has English subtitles.

You're in for a treat!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 09:20:58 AM by hammershield »