Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:45:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: LPL5 - the winners and results  (Read 24430 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
LPL5 - the winners and results
« on: May 22, 2011, 09:04:46 AM »
And so, after 360 hard-fought matches, with more than 10,000 votes cast for 76 competitors from England, Scotland, Wales, Germany, Belgium, France, Italy, Russia, Sweden, the USA, Canada, New Zealand and Australia (did I miss anyone?) Season 5 of The Lead Painters League is finally over.

I know many of you will join me in saying a heartfelt – Thank God for that!

Because, yes, it’s a shitload of work, toil, effort, blood, sweat, tears, grit and determination.
And that’s just for the organisers.
For the competitors it’s far, far more onerous than that.

Thank you to everyone who took part, voted, and contributed as commentators.
In the entire 10 weeks I only had to remove a handful of comments which overstepped the mark of ‘non-constructive criticism’. And apart from a brief flurry of rules-mongering before we got underway, there was very little dispute from any of the participants about any aspect of the competition. So a big thank you for conducting the whole thing in a friendly, positive LAF spirit.

A sincere thank you too, to the inestimable Ray Rivers for his excellent work as official LPL returning officer. Splitting the admin workload really makes it a much more manageable undertaking. It’s still pretty time-consuming - but more bearable.
So thanks, Ray, for all your time, as well as your ever-helpful input and support.

Congratulations to those contestants who stayed the course and managed to produce a new team for every single round. An astonishing 42 out of 72 people collect the blue riband, and that really is no mean feat. Turning out 10 new teams to a good standard is a tough challenge. Real life has a nasty habit of throwing itself in the way and tripping up the best intentions.

And now (drum roll… ) to our winners...  :)

The Winner of Season 5 of the Lead Painters League, gold medal champion extraordinaire, is the incomparable FRANK with a socking great score of 575 points.

Was it ever in any doubt?
Well, yes actually, because several people pushed him very close at times, and Regulator’s superb landsknechts put Frank’s elves briskly to the sword in Round 3. But Frank fought his way back up through the field, with one stunning composition after another, to snatch the lead after Round 9 and comprehensively secure the title in the final furlong…

In second place on 547 points, congratulations to the indefatigable CHAMBERSOFMINIATURES!

Patrick finished 10th in LPL2, 4th in LPL3, and 4th again in LPL4! This time he has shouldered his way firmly onto the podium to take the silver medal with a succession of his trademark clean-cut entries, covering all sorts of wonderful subjects. A very well-deserved result, which I’m sure many LAFers will applaud. Next time, Patrick, only the outright win will do!

In third place with 541 points – DR. MATHIAS, who has made a thoroughly impressive LAF debut with his LPL campaign. After several early successes, Matt suffered a couple of setbacks mid-league, but roared back to finish in style and nab the bronze medal. Well done Matt (and welcome to Lead Adventure by the way  ;))

Well done to the winners.

Extremely hard luck and sincere commiserations meanwhile, to the mighty Hammers, who led the field at a canter for almost the entire LPL, before - tantalisingly close to the finish line - falling prey to REAL LIFE  :(

Also to the ever-brilliant Bugsda, who came galloping up on the outside rail, looking a dead cert to snaffle the title - before running into some seriously stiff opposition in the final two rounds.

And finally to Blackwolf1066 who made it to the silver medal position on the leaderboard after 9 rounds… For which his reward was a bone-crunching showdown with Frank in the final. Sorry Guy.

Congratulations to that whole clutch of gallant competitors - Bugsda, Blackwolf1066, AndyM, Blue In VT, Matakishi, Arcturus, and D@rth J@ymZ - who all ended up within touching distance of the podium at round about the 520-530 point mark. You were all serious contenders and can be justifiably proud of your campaigns. (I’m proud of you, dammit! ;))

Ray will publish the final leaderboard shortly, so all competitors can see exactly where they ended up.

Winning isn’t everything of course (well, it is as far as I’m concerned - but I know not everyone feels the same :D)

For many people, taking part in the LPL is about being the best they can be and challenging themselves as much as anybody else. And I think that’s something which all LPL participants would sign up to. Of course not everyone has the same level of craft or skill – but everyone can learn and improve, and I see a huge amount of learning and improvement going on, even in the course of one season of the LPL. In inventiveness, painting, photography and presentation.

And the last word, of course, must go to thank the Prof - the fevered brain and beating heart behind this great forum. For dreaming up this fascinating competition, and promoting it week after week.
Thanks Alex.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 09:16:17 AM by Captain Blood »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: LPL5 - the winners and results
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 09:13:23 AM »
Thanks to everyone involved.  Twas a splendid competition.

And just to wrap things up... the Final Leaderboard:

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 09:43:48 AM »
the entries by member can be seen somewhere? at least for the top 5 classified?

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 09:56:17 AM »
You can see all the entries in the Lead Painters' League Season 5 Child Board.  But they are not by individual, they are by match.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 09:58:41 AM »
Thankyou Capt. Blood*,Ray and the Prof. for a cracking LPL5! An especial congrats to Frank,a thoroughly well deserved win :D  And thankyou to my wife Annette :-* for putting up with me lol
  I find myself surprised that I made it into the top ten,as I have said elseware I feel like a donkey amongst thoroughbreds.
     Thanks everyone,it has been a blast 8)

* Richard you have been an inspiration,cheers mate ;)

Guy

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 10:00:37 AM by Blackwolf1066 »
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 10:06:54 AM »
Congratulations
A victory for Germany  ;)

Thank you to Richard and his helping hands.

Björn
, ,

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 10:12:05 AM »
Thanks all, it was a blast!  :D
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Arcturus

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 10:36:33 AM »
A big thanks to all the organizers and participants. The last ten weeks were a blast. I'm really looking forward to the next LPL.

I'm overly happy that i made it into the Top Ten  :o :D :o. I always hoped for that but it wouldn't be possible without all the people who voted for me - so a big thanks to all the voters, too.

And last but not least congratulations to the well deserved winners!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 10:47:51 AM »
Thank God thats over lol lol lol
Well done to the winners. That would be every one who entered :D
Congrats to the leaders though. I hope it hasn't worn you all out for the year and we will still see more of your stuff.
Thanks to Captain and Ray for all the hard work.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 10:54:39 AM »
Yup - big sigh of relief!

Congratulations to everyone and another massive thankyou to the organisers!

Well chuffed I was only 4 places behind my target position of 36th but seeing Grimm sat there I'm surprised I climbed as high as 40th!  :D

Learned loads, upped my game and have virtually exhausted my wife's patience with me - now on to finish all the projects I was involved in before the competition started and all the ones it has since spawned in my mind...  >:D

'Spose I'd best reacquaint myself with the family too!  ;)

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 01:21:22 PM »
A hearty congratulations to all of the medalists, but most especially to Frank for his well-deserved Gold. A further congratulations to all the participants, particularly those who managed 10 different entries. The bar was definitely raised this year!

A huge round of thanks to the good Captain, the good Professor and their hard-working dogsbody Ray Rivers.

Let's all start working on those teams for next year!

2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 01:29:22 PM »
Congrats to the winners and all the participants, it was a hard but very friendly and interesting season. Captain and Ray did top work, managing 72 participants. I did three seasons and I know how hard it could be. Bravo, guys, very well done!

Offline Flashman14

• Scientist
    • One of My Men Became Restless
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 01:38:17 PM »
I'm sad it's all over - I looked forward to seeing the new entries every week.

You know, there's something deeply fun about comparing your votes to those of others.
"One of My Men Became Restless" focuses on 15mm Horse & Musket periods and 25mm Horse & Musket, Fantasy, Horror and Victorian everything! Occasionally there'll be stuff of related interest but it's mostly a painters blog.  See it all here: http://flashman14.blogspot.com/

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 01:43:12 PM »
Yeah! Well done the masochists.....I mean organisers ;)

How did Hammers end up 25th? :o

I had a pony with Ladbrokes on him to place  lol
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Faber

• Mastermind
  • onnivorous painter
    • Faber Ambitious Mordheim Project
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 01:54:51 PM »
Thank you all guys for this wonderful competition.  :)
For me (63rd!) was a pleasure just to be in the same contest with some glorious LAF veteran. Real life stop me after the 4th round :( next time I will start earlier!  ;)
Greetings to Frank for his amazing victory and to others podium guys! Thanks to the Captain and Ray Rivers for their incredible effort. Thanks to the unique Prof for supporting this wonderful community of REAL GENTLEMEN.
I'm really proud to be a LAFer  8)
Sincerely,
Faber