Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:53:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 678
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Joseph Bugman's Rangers (first incarnation) [PICS]  (Read 10623 times)

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
Re: Joseph Bugman's Rangers (first incarnation) [PICS]
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 05:44:32 PM »
Thanks! The champion and the musician of the second incarnation are on their way and will be painted to match these models. They're not the originals but at least it adds a lot more diversity to the unit :)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 06:36:42 PM »
They're not the originals but at least it adds a lot more diversity to the unit :)
Yeah, fuck that original champion in his peglegged little ass - I'm not paying 60 quid for a gimp dwarf! =)
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 08:14:59 PM »
That is a wonderful paint job, I especially like the way the cloaks have turned out and I like the idea of the green shields - fantastic concept. They far better than what I achieved a few months back.

Does anyone have a picture of the original Bugman's champion? I don't recall there being a champion in the set you have just painted; just Bugman, standard and horn blower with 9 or 10 identical troops with each in the box set.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 08:52:01 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of the original Bugman's champion? I don't recall there being a champion in the set you have just painted; just Bugman, standard and horn blower with 9 or 10 identical troops with each in the box set.
Here you go mate (and welcome to LAF btw)

From http://www.solegends.com/citrr/rr01bugmansm12.htm

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 01:03:06 PM »
I posted this link to a blog post I did on these guys to the thread looking for the musician and champion, but hopefully it's worth repeating.

As you can see from the picture of the RR box, the champion wasn't in the set. It contained seven troopers and the command set of officer, musician and standard bearer

I thought I had the champion figure, but after checking the peg-legged drawfs I do have, he wasn't among them  :(

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 02:28:12 PM »
All (well, most of) the RoR were sold with 8 troopers and 1 command figure. To get a full command, you had to buy 3 boxes. When Warhammer 2nd edition was released, each regiment received a boost in the shape of a champion. That's the reason why all the pre-slotta sets also have a slotta champion.

The later RoR where boxed in full sets - ie you got a full command + a bunch of troopers. None of the pre-slotta RoR made it to that stage, they were either re-done or discontinued. The only champion model carrying over to the full slotta base RoR was Mengil Manhide's champion. It's the same for both pre-slotta and the first slotta sets.

I posted this link to a blog post I did on these guys to the thread looking for the musician and champion, but hopefully it's worth repeating.

As you can see from the picture of the RR box, the champion wasn't in the set. It contained seven troopers and the command set of officer, musician and standard bearer

I thought I had the champion figure, but after checking the peg-legged drawfs I do have, he wasn't among them  :(

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 09:18:37 PM »
Thanks for the info and picture Phreedh - I don't remember that champion mini. I daresay it goes for several dozen quid on EBay if it ever sees the light of day. I bought my three sets in the early format of 1 command and 8 or so troops per box. I also got a couple of boxes of Harboth's Black Mountain Boys but missed out on Mengil Manhide, the goblins (can't remember their commander's name) and I think there was an ogre set in the RoR range. I got the Goblin warband, the White Dwarf characters and also the Broo - all figures in these boxes were individuals rather than identical. Sorry about the verbal there, got carried away in my excitement.

Thanks for the welcome too.  :)

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 09:25:27 PM »
Yeah, fuck that original champion in his peglegged little ass - I'm not paying 60 quid for a gimp dwarf! =)

Yeah I was watching him too, amazing!!! I'm sure there is another peg leg isn't there? (not the second ed one but a third that cam out at the same time as the guy with arm in sling...)

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 04:46:07 AM »
Look great!  I forgot that they also had great axes.  I thought they had crossbows.  Its been 20 odd years since I've seen them in person...
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 06:40:19 AM »
They do have crossbows, they're tucked on their right side (for us left) and partially hidden under the cloaks. The quivers are hidden there too 8)

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 06:59:30 PM »
They do have crossbows, they're tucked on their right side (for us left) and partially hidden under the cloaks. The quivers are hidden there too 8)

Oh yeah those boys are tooled up, boths types of ax and crossbow!

Now I've seen them painted I might pick up a set. ude they look like lumps of lead!

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 06:33:40 AM »
Glad to know I'm not going senile!  :D

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 11:46:36 AM »
A little update to the rangers, I received the champion and the musician from the second set (dated 1985) to paint up for this unit. Of course I had to make the paint scheme fit in and so I did. Enjoy!

These are lovely models s well and I hope they will ease the pain of missing the original musician and champion 8)

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 11:53:46 AM »
watched it a while now, very nice minis, your little fellows!

I like the red-nose-colour from the champ! Comes out really good!

best wishes
Drachenklinge
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 11:55:09 AM »
Thanks! They all have the red colour on their nose and the command group has it on their cheeks as well, the champion has the biggest nose though so it's more apparent 8)