Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:54:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691091
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: rise of the planet of the apes  (Read 7401 times)

Offline Photographer

• Mad Scientist
    • Double 0 Sven
rise of the planet of the apes
« on: June 04, 2011, 09:56:30 PM »
cool idea for a wargame?

Secret Agent KKBB Blog

http://double0sven.blogspot.com/

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: rise of the planet of the apes
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 11:13:21 PM »
As a kid I always wanted lots of rifle-armed Gorillas as seen in the original films and tv series.

Sentient apes are always a scary prospect and this might make the basis of a great sci-fi/horror game  :D

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 11:44:37 PM »
So I guess this ia prequel-type flick?

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 05:01:35 AM »
It's a reboot. They're just trying to start the franchise with an "origin story", rather than in medias res like the original and the Burton remake. It's being called a prequel a lot in the media, but technically it isn't, since it's a whole new continuity.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 01:02:06 PM »
Just watched Beneath the Planet of the Apes and I have to say I prefer the original series of films - always thought that they would make a great game on the table, especially with all the factions like the telepathic mutants, Governor Kolp and the human survivors living in the forbidden city among others.

I too would love to see gorillas armed with rifles!

New movie looks good though...

Offline Photographer

• Mad Scientist
    • Double 0 Sven
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 02:05:36 PM »

wargame friendly version

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 06:12:33 PM »
The one thing that would sink the entire premise for me is that there are far, far more humans on this earth than great apes...still, now that I'm done being a party pooper  lol , looks like a good movie.
Jim

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 07:01:18 PM »
The one thing that would sink the entire premise for me is that there are far, far more humans on this earth than great apes...still, now that I'm done being a party pooper  lol , looks like a good movie.
Jim

exactely what i was thinking while watching the trailer....

we have rifles and weapons, and the apes are in some  very restricted areas in the world. so why are they a threat bigger than... well any ethnic minorance that our ancestors bruttally killed? :-\

i'm really not proud about ANY of those massacres, but i'm shure that against a different species humanity should be even much more evil and cruel than in the past!

:-\ not a good scenario to me.

is just like ... making the sequel of Avatar: "wait, they have poison arrows!" "but we have poison f**ing NUKES!" the unubtamium is beneath the ground! XD

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 11:28:45 PM »
is just like ... making the sequel of Avatar: "wait, they have poison arrows!" "but we have poison f**ing NUKES!" the unubtamium is beneath the ground! XD

This reminds me of that episode of How It Should Have Ended: Avatar. "I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure..."  "Game over, man!"

lol
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 11:31:15 PM »
in my opinion the best strategy for the apes is pretending to be stupid until the humanity will nuke himself, in the while digging some huge bunkers and fulfilling them with the peanuts from the zoos... this way they will survive the apocalypse, and then will rule over the men!!!

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 02:02:39 AM »
Yeah, if they lay low & bide their time for at least a generation, working their way to zoos and native populations without humans finding out, they might have a chance... in another fifty years, maybe. But going straight from the lab to La Revolucion can't end well for them without a heapin' helpin' of writers' conveniences.

Actually, now that I think about it, that could totally work, if handled right. A short, bloody, but small and quickly squashed coup that leaves only a tiny handful of uplifts still alive on the outside, who then spend years/decades making their way in hiding out to the zoos and jungles, building up a secret culture based on refugee solidarity, before eventually witnessing their "evil" persecutors self destruct, leaving the "peaceful" apes to inherit the land. Ceaser tries to be John Conner, but ends up being Moses instead.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 09:23:56 AM »
Me likey these!
http://www.monolithdesigns.co.uk/update060306/CHM41.JPG
http://www.monolithdesigns.co.uk/update110804/CH041.jpg
http://www.monolithdesigns.co.uk/update110804/CH042.jpg
http://www.monolithdesigns.co.uk/update030405/CH043.jpg

http://www.monolithdesigns.co.uk

:o 8)

Wow - I never knew these existed! Just about perfect. Well, the rifles are different from the films but hey - close enough for me  ;D

It's probably just me, but I can't find them in Monolith's on-line catalogue. Any clues?

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 09:58:53 AM »
:o 8)

Wow - I never knew these existed! Just about perfect. Well, the rifles are different from the films but hey - close enough for me  ;D

It's probably just me, but I can't find them in Monolith's on-line catalogue. Any clues?

Probably a 'send an email and we'll provide them' rather than advertise the issue I'd imagine shhhhh.......! ;)
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 08:20:28 PM »
In David Brin's "Startide Rising" and "The Uplift War" the increased intelligence apes are nominal allies of humans in our wars against much of the Universe.  Gives even more possible gaming ideas. Ape & humans allies vs ape and human allies and or aliens.  Lots of ideas to mine in this series of books.
Prof
----------
http://worldhistoryprof.blogspot.com/