Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 06:12:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694511
  • Total Topics: 118611
  • Online Today: 570
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Round bases it is!......The ruins of Krappefortt (MORDHEIM)  (Read 395738 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Winter Is Here!.......The ruins of Krappefortt (MORDHEIM) 17/08
« Reply #1470 on: August 17, 2015, 09:59:41 AM »
Cheers, mate.

I bet it was the title that made you look, though.
You thought it was GoT, didn't you...?
 :D

P o s s i b l y . . . .

;)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Winter Is Coming!.......The ruins of Krappefortt (MORDHEIM) 17/08
« Reply #1471 on: August 17, 2015, 10:54:54 AM »
Very nice stuff.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #1472 on: August 17, 2015, 03:47:00 PM »
Nice work, the bushes stikcingout of the snow look particularly effective. Whats your snow recipe?

Just a white paint base and a paste of white paint, pva and bicarbinate of soda all mixed into a nice mess layered on top, with a sprinkling of bicarb as a dusting on top of that.
Caster suger would probably taste better......
 ;)

I can't believe you broke a foot off a classic miniature.  :o   >:(

Heresy!!  ;)  lol

:o :o

I am a serial heretic, I must confess.
I have no qualms whatsoever with butchering old miniatures if it means that I get what I want!
 >:D >:D >:D

A bear would look good along with that lot, animal companion spell.

I have a bear, but I wont be rebasing him as I want to keep him generic...

P o s s i b l y . . . .

;)

lol lol
Thought so.....
 ;)

Very nice stuff.

Cheers, Doc!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1473 on: August 17, 2015, 06:34:08 PM »
Your brushwork is, as always, SUPERB, but, when I get to the bases, my absolute hatred of Winter in general & snow in particular chimes in...I can't even stand the God awful stuff in miniature. Otherwise, VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #1474 on: August 18, 2015, 03:34:57 PM »
 lol lol lol

Well, you had better not look when I make the snow drifts then, mate....
;)

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #1475 on: August 20, 2015, 01:30:09 PM »
Love the snow effect! it's amazing how much a well-textured base adds to a mini.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #1476 on: August 26, 2015, 08:19:28 PM »
I'd love to hear some feedback from your group about Frostgrave.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #1477 on: August 28, 2015, 08:52:06 AM »
Love the snow effect! it's amazing how much a well-textured base adds to a mini.

Thanks, Phil.
It is easy enough to do as well, so I shall be adding it to a few more things that will be used for Frostgrave when we okay.

Well, Legionnaire Bert, one of our group, had his first game last night and informs me that it is good fun.
We hope to get our first game sorted in a week or so, so I shall report back then.
Sounds promising, though.
 :)

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1478 on: August 28, 2015, 12:51:48 PM »

Phil

I played Frostgrave for the first time last night, I had a short run through of the rules with my mate Dan before the other player, Erik, showed up. I let the two of them play a game whilst I ran the rule book. We initially said we’d do a three way, but multi-player skirmish is best avoided where poss. Especially as all three of us were getting used to the rules. There isn’t a basic scenario in the book whereby you simply bash each other up whilst trying to leg it with the loot, so we improvised (easy enough to do). All of the scenarios have specific goals in mind, as well as making off with the treasure. I can see making a few specific scenery items will be a good idea (and should be fun to do).

Speaking of scenery the game seemed to work well with a table not absolutely crammed with the stuff, despite what the books says. It allows missile weapons to be effective, and ditto for spells of that nature. That said, I think scenery typically used in Mordheim will be fine because it has so many height levels, so it affords that kind of opportunity. We could definitely have done with some higher buildings on our table last night. Erik got off a reasonably tricky spell which pushed Dan’s crossbowman off the building he was on, but he didn’t take any damage cos it wasn’t a high enough building. Didn’t seem like a decent enough reward for his mage’s efforts.

Spellcasting is a nice system, and embodies enough risk for the really effective spells to provide a good counterbalance. The game mechanics in general are pretty good, opposed rolls for the most part. People have complained that it being a D20 it provides too much variance and luck of the draw, but I really don’t see that as an issue at all. I like the system whereby you roll to hit using modifiers, and if you ‘win’ it is the unmodified dice roll which the armour value is deducted from to give damage. You are rolling to hit, save and wound all on the throw of one dice which is pretty cool.

Deceptively simple at first glance, the game has enough depth that you are needing to refer to the rule book and bear a few factors in mind, but we were really getting the hang of it after only two games. A two player game was taking well over an hour, but of course that was largely because it being new there was a fair bit of rule referral (and Dan bless him is easily distracted, becoming especially garrulous after a couple of drinks!). I think it will be possible to get fairly swift games going once in the groove with the rules.

Erik had taken some more decent soldiers due to his model collection and whilst definitely more effective, they were not proving invulnerable, so there was a nice balance there.

Neither game ‘counted’ as being ‘proper’ so we didn’t do any post-game. But it was good to see what spells worked and which were better than the ones you’d chosen, so it was really useful in that respect. I shall be re-thinking my spell choices accordingly ;). But it is good that the way spell selection works everybody has the opportunity to have a little bit of everything, which is cool. You might think ‘I really like being an Elementalist, but I really like that Sigilillist spell…’, so you have that opportunity which is really good. If you are casting from a list which isn’t your main one it is harder to cast that spell. And depending on how badly you fail in the casting roll, you take damage!

It is a similar concept to Mordheim so of course comparisons are bound to be drawn. However, Frostgrave seems suitably different in the way it plays and feels, so it will stand on its own two feet well enough. A very enjoyable game, perhaps without the overall depth of Mordheim (which I still think is a terrific game) but equally very enjoyable in its own right. It was nice to play something different from Mordheim and the new game buzz around Frostgrave has been very exciting to take part in.

In short, I recommend it. Definite plus is it seems much more approproiate to use whatever models you feel like as there is no perceived feeling of having to conform to Mordheim fluff, as valid or invalid as that is in the first place, and even if you buy stuff new there is very little needed to play a game, especially if you are already a Mordheim player, so cost is kept down. Dan used an old Gandalf model for his wizard last night and a Radagast model from LOTR for his apprentice, and they looked good. Named M'Kellan and M'Coy resepctively! :D

Moment of the game for me was when Dan blasted Erik’s apprentice with a fireball rolling a 20 to hit once cast, which being a critical did double damage – 20 points of damage and the apprentice simply ceased to exist! Awesome lol. I bet Erik was relieved that game was a trial run! 8)

But I say go for it - I don't think you'll regret it.

Bert aka Rob

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Dwarves, Cold Dwarves......The ruins of Krappefortt (MORDHEIM) 24/09
« Reply #1479 on: September 24, 2015, 09:39:30 AM »
As we have decided to have a proper go at Frostgrave I decided to make another band up from existing miniatures in my collection.
I have had these Dwarves for some time now and just never got around to finishing the band.......

....but I guess that I will now as I have to have a wizard and apprentice, eh?

It also gives me a great reason to paint up that Tin Man that I have been itching to colour in for ages!

I must admit that I much prefer figures on round bases and may well, at some point, go back to the rest of the Mordheim collection and rebase them all.
One day.....

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Dwarves. Cold Dwarves.......The ruins of Krappefortt (MORDHEIM) 24/09
« Reply #1480 on: September 24, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
Lovely stunties, the whole lot  :-*

Keen to see your take on the wizard and apprentice for them :)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1481 on: September 24, 2015, 01:29:06 PM »
The Dwarven Crew looks SPLENDID. Your brushwork &  basing are as LOVELY as ever...even the snow looks FINE. GREAT WORK as always!
Since you apparently have to have a Wizard, a Dwarf Spell Slinger would be cool...that would cover the limited climatic conditions also. The Dwarf Wizard would have comic potential if his apprentice was a human.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:23:39 PM by DeafNala »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #1482 on: September 24, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »
Thanks, chaps, for giving me the benefit of the doubt at least, as that picture is not great.

Keen to see your take on the wizard and apprentice for them :)

Since you apparently have to have a Wizard, a Dwarf Spell Slinger would be cool...that would cover the limited climatic conditions also. The Dwarf Wizard would comic potential if his apprentice was a human.

I already have a wizard and apprentice in hand for them.
They are both old classic sculpts that should provide a little amusement when they are done.
I hope.... ::)

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 02:42:33 PM by Mason »

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1483 on: September 24, 2015, 06:24:01 PM »
Cool! Dog looks familiar too...

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1484 on: September 24, 2015, 07:32:51 PM »
I already have a wizard and apprentice in hand for them.
They are both old classic sculpts that should provide a little amusement when they are done.
I hope.... ::)

COOL! There's an old Citadel Wizardly Dwarf walking along pointing & apparently having a directional dispute with his frog familiar who he has in the palm of his hand....I really hope that is the one you have.