Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 06:07:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694511
  • Total Topics: 118611
  • Online Today: 570
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Round bases it is!......The ruins of Krappefortt (MORDHEIM)  (Read 395734 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: The ruined town of Krappefortt. MORDHEIM (HELP!!!) Update 23/09
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2011, 11:03:38 PM »
YES!

Got the Undertaker's finished this afternoon!

Well, finished without the coffins and sign, that is, but worthy of going onto the table at any rate.
Will finish the other bits at the weekend.

That undertaker's is absolutely wonderful!  How many hours did you spend on it, all told?

Neotacha; To be honest, it is a little difficult to figure out. The original one-storey section probably took about two hours, but having now added the rest of it, I would guess at about six in total. I have a serious problem concentrating on the thing at hand, and often my mind drifts onto other things as I am working. I am easily distracted with yet another idea and often find myself digging out one of my bits boxes to see what I have in there to add to a piece.

At least the final result for this one is fixed in my mind now, just a few small bits to add, if I dont get distracted into other ideas at the time, that is!

No pics yet but, as Legionnaire Bert is popping around for a couple of games tomorrow, will take some then.
Will also take some of Bert's Dwarves and Chaos lads (his 'naked' Possessed is now painted up, he assures me!), and pics of the warbands I will be using as well.

Looking forward to some more Mordheim mayhem, and trying out a new set-up for the Docks, this time running into the centre of the board instead of at the edge. Should prove an interesting alternative.

The main reason for this post, though, was to ask for some help;

I have a couple of bits of scenery that were made some years ago that I had forgotten about, until I saw gamer Mac's Aquanaught's thread;

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=32902.0

An excellent board in the making and well worth a read. The edge pieces on his board reminded me of the aforementioned pieces of my own.
Looking at them, I at first thought that I would just sell them on the Bazar, but I thought I would see if anyone could come up with any ways of converting them into interesting pieces to add to Krappfortt.
Here are a couple of pitures of them;

The last shot gives an idea of their size, standing next to them is an Artizan 28mm figure.

I have considered adding a few buildings built onto them against the 'cliff faces', and will obviously be covering the water effects, but wondered if anyone else had any other ideas...

Any suggestions, anyone?

Hope someone can come up with something original to push me in the right direction!

Will be back with pictures of the weekend's games ASAP.

Until then.........

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 11:11:54 PM by Mason »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #151 on: September 23, 2011, 11:18:12 PM »
The only thing I can think of at the moment is having a large stone bridge with a gatehouse in the middle of it leading to the castle island from the docks.

Maybe one of the gangs has taken it over (it being rather isolated) and the others have to roust them out using the bridge and maybe some boats or launches.

???

Obviously it needs some more structure added to it  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #152 on: September 23, 2011, 11:42:01 PM »
The only thing I can think of at the moment is having a large stone bridge with a gatehouse in the middle of it leading to the castle island from the docks.

Maybe one of the gangs has taken it over (it being rather isolated) and the others have to roust them out using the bridge and maybe some boats or launches.

???

Obviously it needs some more structure added to it  :)

cheers

James

James, That is really freaky!

There IS a an island Fort in Krappefortt AND one of the gangs is in possession of it!
My Marienburg warband, the Posenhosen Trading Company have their headquarters there!

You have certainly got the little grey cells ticking over with THAT suggestion!

(That reminds, I should post a picture of the map of Krappfortt as we have played a couple of campaigns using it.
I have a birds-eye drawing of it and a grid reference version that is used for warband movement.)

Anyone else have any other ideas?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 06:15:12 AM by Mason »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #153 on: September 23, 2011, 11:45:08 PM »
Well, you know, great minds and all that  :D

I'd like to see the map  :)

cheers

James

Offline Ninja

• Mad Scientist
    • Broken Egg Games
« Reply #154 on: September 26, 2011, 09:49:50 PM »
He beat me to it because that came to my mind instantly upon looking at them, a ferry or bridge from near your docks to the island forts would be awesome. I might even add some rules for cannons that they have turned around and now fire inland!
Break out of your gaming shell! www.brokenegggames.com

"Yes, I am a ninja and no I won't show you my moves."

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #155 on: September 26, 2011, 10:41:33 PM »
Nice pieces - must admit island sprang to my mind too...

... or what about them forming a bit of coastline down from the docks - smugglers caves could lead into a set of secret caverns that run below the city - then you could make a whole subterranenan board as well!  ;)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Re: The ruined town of Krappefortt. MORDHEIM (HELP!!!) Update 27/09
« Reply #156 on: September 27, 2011, 11:18:21 AM »
It seems that the consensus of opinion is for an island...

I am quite taken with the idea, and when I manage to put up a picture of the map you will see why.
As we have been using the map for over a year, I am always open to ideas for scenarios in specific locations.
We have already had a varient of Streetfight on Krappefortt Bridge, a Chaos assault on the Temple of Sigmar where the players had to work together to survive, and a scenario involving the Birdman of Krappefortt, a winged vigilante attempting to keep the streets clean, who was using the Clocktower as his headquarters.
An assault on the bridge leading to the Fort could well be viable....

Nice pieces - must admit island sprang to my mind too...

... or what about them forming a bit of coastline down from the docks - smugglers caves could lead into a set of secret caverns that run below the city - then you could make a whole subterranenan board as well!  ;)

Thatsants; That is a great idea, but one most definitely for the future. If I continue to keep adding to the Town with every idea that comes up, I will never get on to the other projects that I want to do......

A progress update; The Undertaker's is now finished. At last!
Pictures at the weekend. IMO it looks much better with the small additons and detailing added.

It was used in it's almost-finished, but playable, state at the weekend when Legionnaire Bert came over for a game.
We had intended several games but my downstairs neighbour, an elderly chap, had other plans and decided it would be fun to smoke us out by leaving his oven on whilst having a sleep! The following shenanigans put paid to any further gaming, unfortunately! At least my neighbour is OK.

The game we did manage was great fun, though, and involved much tactical manouvering. The Docks running through the centre of the board worked really well, as we had set up various small boats and floating debris to create 'paths' where models can cross the open water.
It created some great situations as we were playing a Breakthrough scenario where the Human Nordland warband were attempting to complete the mission against the Possessed of Bertie.
We did get plenty of photos of the game, with some good cinematic shots. We also took pictures of Bert's Dwarves and Possessed along with my (2nd) Nordland Expeditionary Company.
Unfortunately, I am unable to upload any photos until the weekend, but will do so then.

I'd like to see the map  :)

cheers

James
(Will also attempt to get some of the map, James)

Until the weekend........

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #157 on: September 27, 2011, 01:54:39 PM »
T'was another good game against the Mason, but he thwarted me again! I shall comment on the photeez when they are up.

Till the weekend!

Bert

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #158 on: September 27, 2011, 01:57:15 PM »
Mason

I'd just use 'em straight up, mate - reckon they'd be fine representing cliff buidlings near the edge of town?

Bertie

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #159 on: September 27, 2011, 02:22:16 PM »
Those are nice little pieces.  The island idea is nifty, but when I saw them I thought of a market (thieves guild?) set up in the ruins of the old keep.

-Michael

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #160 on: September 27, 2011, 08:16:24 PM »
Thatsants; That is a great idea, but one most definitely for the future. If I continue to keep adding to the Town with every idea that comes up, I will never get on to the other projects that I want to do......

Yeah it was a bit of a tongue in cheek suggestion - been reading through the old Fighting Fantasy role play book - Blacksand, and idly contemplating a sewer system - safe in the knowledge that it probably won't happen any time soon!  lol

The island set up will definitely lead to some great scenarios!  8)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #161 on: September 27, 2011, 08:52:12 PM »
Yeah it was a bit of a tongue in cheek suggestion - been reading through the old Fighting Fantasy role play book - Blacksand, and idly contemplating a sewer system - safe in the knowledge that it probably won't happen any time soon!  lol

I know the feeling! lol

Loads of ideas. never enough time....

The island set up will definitely lead to some great scenarios!  8)

Hopefully that will be the case!

We have had plenty of games in the past where the scenery has influenced the scenario.
It has always added to the sucess of the gaming session in question.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #162 on: October 02, 2011, 04:36:23 PM »
I've posted a separate thread for Masons Krappefortt Kislevites but since they will be making an appearance (and because Mason asked me) I might as well share the piccies here. So here are the Kislevites I painted up for use in Krappefort:

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd516/arjenpilon/kislevites01a.jpg

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd516/arjenpilon/kislevites01.jpg

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd516/arjenpilon/kislevites02.jpg

You can click on the links for somewhat bigger pictures and you can view pictures of the individual models here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=33620.0
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #163 on: October 02, 2011, 10:07:41 PM »
Thanks, Pil.

That was quick!

I asked Pil to post these on here as I have taken pictures of some of my other warbands, well the ones that have already made an appearance in this thread, along with Legionnaire Bert's.
Will eventually get pics taken of them all.

Will post them later in the week as I cannot upload pics until then.

Also have final pics of the Undertaker's and the latest game played on the board with an interesting set-up variant for the Docks.

Until then.....

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Re: The ruined town of Krappefortt. MORDHEIM (Game pics!) UD:06/10
« Reply #164 on: October 06, 2011, 12:43:42 PM »
Hello Chaps!

It has been a couple of weeks without an update due to being unable to upload pictures.

A couple of weeks ago Legionnaire Bert came over to play a game with his Chaos Possessed warband. He had finished painting them so there are no more shots of 'naked' possessed. Phew!

First up shots of the Protagonists;

Firstly, Bertie's Chaos Possessed warband- The Theatre of the Grotesque!

There may be only a few of them, but individually they are as hard as nail!

Opposing them would be the contingent from Nordland- The 2nd Krappefortt Expedition.

A large warband, but no match for the Chaos scum on a one-to-one basis!

The game to be played was a Breakthrough mission, with the valourous warriors of Nordland attempting to force their way through the lines of the chaos-worshipping scum!

The table had been set up with an interesting variant of the standard Docks.
Instead of being positioned along the edge of the board, the Docks sections had been arranged so they they bisected the centre of the table.

The Docks arranged in this way would be the only low section of the table, potentially a very dangerous place to be if missile fire was accurate!
The Docks themselves had various extra items placed on them to create 'paths' across the water. We decided before the game that any gaps of less than an inch could stepped over with no movement penalty or having to attempt a leap across the gap.
This was to prove crucial later in the battle.
The terrain had been placed before the mission was generated, and created an interesting obstacle for both sides during the game!

The Docks, showing the 'paths' where movement was possible.

A few views of the rest of the table before play started.
If you look carefully you can see it is possible to walk they whole way around the table, using the walkways, without coming into contact with the ground...

As the Nordlanders were the 'attackers' in the game, they had to set up first and opted to field most of their strength on the right, for a concerted push across the Docks, hoping to break through the Possessed with sheer weight of numbers.

While above the missile armed troops hoped to provide cover for the advance

Meanwhile, a single, lonely, halbardier was tasked with getting across the table using the walkways and reach the other side.
(The Nordlanders had to get at least two of their number off of the other side of the board and this was intended as 'ace in the hole' manouver!)

On seeing the deployment of large numbers of human troops on their left flank, the Possessed opted to put most of their number facing this side, positioned in cover to avoid the firepower that the Nordlanders had at height.

The first few turns were a bit 'cat and mouse', as the Possessd went into 'hiding', hoping to ambush the humans as they came within reach, whilst also avoiding being shot!

The Nordlanders advanced across the Docks, whilst a small contingent made their way through the ruins on the opposite side of the table

After several turns of advancing, with very little being done by the Possessed, the Chaos scum decided it was time to spring a flank attack on the humans frem one end of the Docks, whilst waiting patiently to spring the other side of the trap!

This involved a 'diving charge' from one huge Beastman on an unsuspecting halbadier!

With the clash of steel and the screams of the wounded ringing around the Docks, and the Nordlanders finally within reach, the Magister ordered the trap to be sprung!

With a huge battle taking place in the Docks, the smaller group of humans, who had been rushing unopposed through the ruins on the other side of the table, were almost within reach of their objective and victory.
Seeing that they were being outmanouvered, and without the numbers to move any bodies to the other flank to stop the smaller group of Nordlanders from reaching their objective, the seriously outnumbered Chaos warband had gambled on taking as many of the humans out of action as quickly as possible, and therefore forcing them to rout.

And it almost worked!

The Nordlanders lost enough men in the rumble on the dockside to have to make a couple of rout tests before finally forcing the Chaotic monstrosities to flee.

A fantastic, and very tactica,l game that could have gone either way at the end was finally decided in favour of the 2nd Krappefortt Expedition (Nordland).

As a final twist of the knife, poor old Bertie had his scorpion-tailed mutant captured and dragged off to the pits, where he was duly slaughtered by a Pit_Fighter!

Some guys have all the luck! lol
(Sorry, mate...........)

Next installment- the Undertaker's is finally finished and I will post some pics in a couple of days, along with some pics of the other warbands of Krappefortt.

Until then....