Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:04:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My first game of Strange Aeons (Pic Heavy!)  (Read 2720 times)

Offline Cadet13

• Scientist
  • "Now I have a machinegun. HO HO HO."
    • http://chucksnapwargames.blogspot.com/
My first game of Strange Aeons (Pic Heavy!)
« on: July 24, 2011, 03:51:51 AM »
I just recently got my ultimate seduction pack from Uncle Mike's, so I was anxious to try it out. Unfortunately, I'm on a trip and living out of a hotel room. Luckily, I had packed my SA minis in anticipaton, and so I made do as best as I could. Therefore, I apologize beforehand for the partially pained miniatures and the makeshift terrain. This was just a quick solo game so that I could get a feel for the rules.

The last rays of sunlight were fading into darkness as the four-door coupe pulled up behind the Kentucky State Police car that was parked by the side of the lonely dirt road that cut through the snow blanketed landscape. The two Troopers inside had been sent out to investigate what they thought at first was to be a simple missing persons case, but when the official looking vehicle pulled up, the door bearing a wreathed “T” logo that neither had ever seen before, they both knew that the game had changed.
   The two officers got out of the police car just as the group of what the dispatcher had called “special agents” got out of their coupe, and they were a little taken aback by the dress of the three men that got out. The man that stepped out from the driver’s seat looked as if he had just come ashore from a New England fishing boat, complete with a sea-captain’s hat and yellow rubber gumboots. The passenger wore a 1911 .45 automatic on one hip and a wicked looking Bowie knife on the other, along with an old cavalry saber in a dinged and rusted scabbard slung over his shoulder on a crossbelt. The third man, who had emerged from the back seat, wore safari togs and was busy dragging a hunting rifle from the car’s back door.
   A motley looking crew, though the elder, mustachioed Sergeant Craig as the three men approached him, but he just shrugged to his partner, Trooper Abrams, and went forward to meet them. Craig extended his hand to the sea-captain, who looked to be in charge.
   “Name’s Craig, Kentucky State Police, and this here’s my partner, Officer Abrams.”
   “I’m Agent Horace Hodge, of Threshold,” replied the sea-captain, shaking Craig’s hand, “and these are my associates, Agent Hunter and Mr. Dickinson, with the rifle there.” Craig looked Hodge up and down.
   “Frankly, Agent Hodge, I wasn’t expecting someone dressed like you are. You look like you’re a long way from home.” Hodge laughed.
   “That’s true, but I wouldn’t dress any other way. As for being far from home, the agency sends us where we’re needed. And it looks as if our expertise will be needed this night.”
   “Beg your pardon, but what expertise?” asked Craig, frowning. “I ain’t never heard of ‘Threshold’ before, and I’ve been in uniform my whole life. I thought this was just a missing persons case.”
   Hodge shook his head slowly. “No officer, this is not just a missing persons case. Strange and sinister things are happening deep in these hills and hollers, and we will need your help to stop them.”
   “What kind of strange and sinister things?” asked Abrams, perplexed.
   “Things that I can’t explain to you; only things that I can show you. So officers, if you’ll grab your weapons and follow me, please, we need to get going if we’re to make it in time.”
   Hodge and the rest of his team waited as Abrams checked the rounds in his .22 revolver and Craig thrust a nightstick into his belt and pulled a pump action shotgun from the back seat. He pumped the slide once, chambering a shell, then looked up. “Alright, Agent Hodge, lead the way.”
   And with that, the five men left the road and headed into the surrounding darkness.

I rolled "Fight" on the scenario list. My Threshold Team consisted of:

Captain Horace Hodge
Character
M: 5/Dex: 4+/Con: 6/A: 3/W: 2/Res: 3+
Armaments:    Bowie Knife, .45 Handgun
Extra Gear:    Tight Boots
Skills:       Command, Rugged

Coach Desmond Hunter
Agent
M: 5/Dex: 5+/Con: 6/A: 2/W: 1/Res: 4+
Armaments:    Bowie Knife, .45 Handgun, Civil War Saber
Skills:                 Two Fisted

Bruce Dickinson
Civilian
M: 5/Dex: 5+/Con: 5/A: 1/W: 1/Res: 5+
Armaments:    Bowie Knife, Bolt Action Rifle

Sergeant Craig, KSP
Civilian
Armaments:    Club, Shotgun

Officer Abrams, KSP
Civilian
Armaments:    .22 Handgun

Lurkers consisted of:

Five Cultists, Two armed with .22 pistols, One with a Bowie Knife, One with a Bolt Action Rifle, and One with a Tommy Gun.

One Fishman

Pregame

The Initial setup.

Lurkers win the roll and move first

Turn 1

Cultist w/ Tommy gun moves up to get within range of his Tommy gun.

Captain Hodge nominates Sgt Craig and Mr. Dickinson. Sgt Craig uses both actions to move around the flank with his shotgun. Mr. Dickinson moves forward and fires his rifle at the cultist with the Tommy gun. He misses. Captain Hodge moves up.

The cultist with the rifle moves forward and makes a pot shot at Sgt Craig, who has just come into sight from around the tree. He too, misses.

Coach Hunter dashes forward, eager to get into close combat.

The Fishman moves, and with lightning fast speed (two 8” moves in a row!) he charges Captain Hodge. Close combat ensues, but Hodge’s trusty Bowie knife is too much for the creature, and it is removed with a minor injury.

Officer Abrams moves forward.

The Lurkers finish out turn 1 by blitzing two Cultists up the middle and one around the right flank toward Sgt Craig.

Turn 2

Hodge nominates Dickinson and Abrams. Hodge fires his .45 at the Tommy gun wielding cultist and hits, resulting in a major injury! He then moved forward toward the cultists in the center. Meanwhile, Dickinson moves forward and firs his rifle at a pistol toting cultist. He hits, but merely stuns the cultist. Abrams moves up and fires point blank at the cultist with the knife with his .22 pistol, but manages to miss with both shots!

The cultist with the knife charges Abrams. They become locked in close combat.

Sgt Craig moves up the Agents’ right flank and unleashes a devastating blast from his shotgun at a Cultist from a mere 5” away! He hits, and knocks the cultist unconscious!

The stunned cultist spends an action getting up, and then unloads his .22 pistol at the approaching Captain Hodge. The affects of just shaking off being stunned must have been too much, because he misses both shots!

Coach Hunter moves forward and joins the melee that Abrams and the knife holding cultist are in. He does quick work with his saber, and the cultist is removed with a major injury.

The cultist put down by Sgt Craig’s shotgun spends both of his actions getting to his feet, while the last cultist moves up and shoots at Coach Hunter with his rifle. He misses again, ending the turn.

Turn 3

The cultist that had been knocked face down by Sgt Craig charges his attacker. Pulling out his nightstick, Sgt Craig bashes the cultist’s head in, resulting in a minor injury.

Captain Hodge once again nominates Abrams and Hunter. Hodge fires twice at the pistol waving cultist, removing him with a major injury. Coach Hunter charges the last cultist standing, and cuts him down with a thrust of his saber. This results in a major injury for the cultist, and Threshold clears the table of lurkers.

Postgame

• Major Injury Phase: No Threshold members were injured during the action.
  • Skill Phase: Coach Hunter gains the “Rugged” skill.
  • Treasure Hunting Phase: The team finds one Map Piece.
  • Re-Equipment Phase: As no team members were lost to Major Injuries, there is no re-equipment

All in all, not too bad for my first game. I'm begining to understand the rules and my Threshold team is well on its way to a successful career... or is it?

Offline einarolafson

• Mastermind
    • Einar Olafson Painting
Re: My first game of Strange Aeons (Pic Heavy!)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 12:01:56 PM »
Hehe!! That´s brilliant!! I would have never thought of that terrain whilst travelling!

Regards.

Offline Bloodysword

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 07:45:04 PM »
Nice job.  The terrain is very creative. I can't wait to see how your team fares in the next battle.  How long did it take for you rulebook to arrive from Canada?

Offline Cadet13

• Scientist
  • "Now I have a machinegun. HO HO HO."
    • http://chucksnapwargames.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 08:23:45 PM »
I'm not sure, but I would say that I recieved it around the 20th of June or so. I had it sent to my school P.O. box, and I was away on summer leave until mid-July, which was when I left on my trip. I'm pretty sure that it sat waiting for me in my box for the better part of a month before I was able to get it before I left.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:13:22 AM by Cadet13 »

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 03:46:21 PM »
The sock "trees" are very creepy  ;)  Great improvised terrain!
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 11:03:54 PM »
Sock trees and belt road ace :)