Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:42:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690634
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Absolute Beginner (Africa Rules)  (Read 4432 times)

Offline efredbar

• Bookworm
Absolute Beginner (Africa Rules)
« on: July 28, 2011, 02:29:13 AM »
I've got some of these great Blue Moon 15mm Africa figures, a desire to game and a general idea of how I want to do it.

What I don't know is anything about the rules available.

I want to have small games. I'd like to use single based 15mm for the same games that people use 28mm for...if that makes any sense.  I don't want units that are any bigger than they would be in 28mm.

BUT, I would be willing to do multiple figure bases and paint bigger units if I was convinced that the rules that call for such basing and numbers were better.

I'd like to do some conventional forces...British, French, Force Publique, Germans and I'd like to be able to fight either small battles or big skirmishes.

I've been looking at In the Heart of Africa and the Army List but, really I don't know what would be best.

Also, I'll be solo gaming.

Any suggestions and descriptions of what you're doing and the rules you're using would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 02:32:46 AM by efredbar »

Offline S J Donovan

• Scientist
Re: Absolute Beginner (Africa Rules)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 03:21:34 AM »
No doubts in my mind for anything colonial or whenever there rules go, 20th anniversary edition of The Sword and the Flame www.sergeants3.com
can't be beat for skirmishes or biggish battles.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 05:33:24 AM »
The Sword and The Flame are an okay set of rules but I wonder how will they lend themselves to solo play?  Other thoughts on this?  Or are there better rules to accommodate the need here?

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 05:36:34 AM »
For solo gaming, he ay be well served by Bickley's stuff. I only have A Good Dusting, but I assume his other sets have a similar section on solo gaming.  For my occasional solo game, I think they work nicely.

Offline efredbar

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 01:39:54 PM »
Thanks y'all.

I've seen copies of A Good Dusting Around.  Is that the one I'd need to look into or is there are more specific Darkest Africa set?

The Sword and the Flame is the first set that came to my mind...just wondering like y'all said about solo play. They make a supplement for Dark Africa don't they?

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 07:13:09 PM »
If you want skirmish rules, with each player controlling about a dozen or so figures, try the Ganesha Games rules.  Of course, I know you're planning on solo gaming, but these rules are easily adaptable to that, as well.  If you want bigger games, you may want to look elsewhere.  Lots of colonial rules on the market!

http://www.ganeshagames.net/

Mike

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 08:29:21 PM »
TSATF has got semi-random unit activation which works well for solo play, however I don't think that the Africa skirmish rules are all that good.
HoA has got random movement which works well for solo play and the rules are designed for Darkest Africa.
There's also Triumph and Tragedy, but I haven't played with them.

Offline efredbar

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 02:48:59 AM »
Again thanks for the information.

Anybody have any thoughts on Colonial Adventures?

Offline Luthaaren Von Tegale

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 12:22:04 PM »
I've found that a card activation system "bolted on" to almost any set of rulesworks really well in solo games - you're never sure when a figure/unit can act each turn - if at all.
For the rules I've recently been using the colonial skirmish rules in the book "Wargaming - An Introduction" by Neil Thomas to give some fun games. I've also used a set based on, (I think), "Astounding Tales!".

vT

Offline efredbar

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 01:45:12 PM »
I have a copy of Pony Wars with a reaction chart for Plains Indians...I could maybe use that.

I like what I've read about Colonial Adventures.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Offline pierrebi

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 03:12:59 PM »
what about Chain Reaction http://www.twohourwargames.com/chainreaction3.html it is free and you can adapt to colonial or pulp but if you prefer you can buy dedicates games to colonial at 14 american dollars

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 04:33:32 PM »
You should look at Chain Reaction to see if you like the underlaying system of Colonial Adventures.
I like the THW rules system and it is good for solo play.
The only major drawback to the rules is the writing.  It's poor and makes it difficult to understand the rules sometimes.  But you can visit the yahoogroup and get the answers you need.

Offline efredbar

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 06:46:28 PM »
Thanks y'all.

I think I'm gonna give CA a try. I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to gaming...something specific would be good for me. I like the fact that it's explicitly described as good for solo gaming.  I've looked up some game reports and it looks suitable for what I want to do...and it's 15 bucks for a hard copy. No sweat.

Thanks for the warning about the way it's written.

I'd still like to keep hearing about other rules though...if anybody wants to keep chiming in.

Offline Kelroy was here

• Assistant
  • "...eh?"
    • Kelroy was here
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 06:13:58 PM »
Allow me to suggest "Pith Helmet II" by Don Bailey.  It's designed for solo play but can be used for two players, too.  It's a very simple, elegant system, only one page long (front and back), geared specifically for Colonialism.

It can be downloaded for free from http://www.britishempire.co.uk/wargames/rules.php.  Scroll down the page about 2/3s of the way.

You can find an extensive review of the rules on my blog at http://kelroywashere.blogspot.com/2011/05/36-review-of-pith-helmet-2.html and the beginning of a very long write-up of a game I played at http://kelroywashere.blogspot.com/2009/11/15-death-in-jungle-battle-is-joined.html.  Be warned, the write-up is considerably long, much longer to read than the game took to play, but that's how I roll.  ;)

Hope this helps.

K.C.

Offline efredbar

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 02:38:44 AM »
Thanks man.

I been over to your blog and given the posts a quickish read and it looks like it might work.  Definitely worth checking out.

I like the blog too.