Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 05:41:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: TUSK! Mammoth hunting at Horisont III (Esbjerg, Denmark)  (Read 40102 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: TUSK! Mammoth hunting at Horisont III (Esbjerg, Denmark)
« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2011, 03:53:05 PM »
What you do have to do however is get a sloth and a sabre toothed cat and some meercat thingies just for the giggles ;) lol

Offline caveman kev

• Lurker
« Reply #136 on: November 25, 2011, 04:24:05 PM »
I think it was agreed at the playtest, that it was a bad idea to hand out the mammoths to the player, once they killed them, since it would be hard to resist banging them around, stomping whatever...

:D

I do have one dead mammoth miniature though, but it is still unpainted.
i`ve taken my herd to three big shows so far and have not had any breakages yet with handing the "kill" to the player [some young as 3] BUT the tokens are a VERY good idea
sorry about the bases not making it ,im sure it will be alright on the night,i always do movement from the top of the mammoths  head anyway ,and with the two inch kill zone around makes  measuring "about that" anyway
i just found out ive got pride of place at our show, ground floor as you walk in ..no pressure then
keep it fast and fun,smile, enjoy yourself ........laters   

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #137 on: November 25, 2011, 04:24:41 PM »
What you do have to do however is get a sloth and a sabre toothed cat and some meercat thingies just for the giggles ;) lol
lol

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #138 on: November 25, 2011, 08:08:56 PM »
lol

Good call - how are things in Tring going these days?

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #139 on: November 27, 2011, 12:33:03 PM »
Looking at the pic I think the  Fenryll mammoth you got from me is the least attractive sculpt in the lot.

Yes, I thought it was good looking untill I got the others, so now it is not allowed to play with the others anymore. But I am still happy we made the trade, it helped me to get going in the beginning of the project and I will probably introduce the wooly rhino at some point.

Yes, I might do that, giant sloth  :D

i`ve taken my herd to three big shows so far and have not had any breakages yet with handing the "kill" to the player [some young as 3] BUT the tokens are a VERY good idea
sorry about the bases not making it ,im sure it will be alright on the night,i always do movement from the top of the mammoths  head anyway ,and with the two inch kill zone around makes  measuring "about that" anyway
i just found out ive got pride of place at our show, ground floor as you walk in ..no pressure then
keep it fast and fun,smile, enjoy yourself ........laters   

I just got back from Horisont today, I managed to show 1 game at friday evening, when we arrived, and I ran 5 games on saturday, the last one with very late night "prison rules", which included weremammoth, hollow earth escapes, dogs mating, cavemen using bows and torches as clubs, teleports and probably more.... some of my friends are terrible people  :D

The show went great, all who perticipated seemed to be having a great time and we all played in a very friendly manner, so we had no major problems and solved all minor problems with a laugh.

I took a few pics which I will be uploading tomorrow, today I need to relax and rest my eyes a bit.

Oh, and of course I got a text message, from my wife, on saturday, telling me the bases had arravied  ::)

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #140 on: November 27, 2011, 01:57:03 PM »
Congratulations on getting the bases  lol

Looking forward to the pictures.

Andrew

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2011, 06:33:06 PM »

I just got back from Horisont today, I managed to show 1 game at friday evening, when we arrived, and I ran 5 games on saturday, the last one with very late night "prison rules", which included weremammoth, hollow earth escapes, dogs mating, cavemen using bows and torches as clubs, teleports and probably more.... some of my friends are terrible people  :D

Those late-night/last day games & conversations where everyone is punchy, tired and making absurd play suggestions are the greatest.

Looking forward to the photos and further game reports - did any other LAF members get into one of the games?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #142 on: November 28, 2011, 07:55:36 AM »
I took in-action pics of the not-quite-so late game Saturday evening (won by Ogg), too - haven't emptied the camera, yet, but I'll do during the week and post some here and on my blog.

I think the game works like a dream for cavemen - and as somebody pointed out, if playing with firearms (Victorians), you probably need to put a lot of terrain on the table to break up LOS.

I purchased the rules a week ago I'll be looking into getting some mammoths (which is a thing I thougt I'd NEVER do), slowly building up a small herd. And then, of course, some cavemen - but I think, I'll just use my old Grenadier/Copplestone barbarians for starters, and do some 'fantasy' hunts for Schleich dinos and such.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #143 on: November 28, 2011, 07:55:41 AM »
Good call - how are things in Tring going these days?

Hello Mate, I left there around this time last year back up in the North east. I think however that the club is under threat or rather the venue is ::) developers!

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #144 on: November 29, 2011, 07:13:37 PM »
Here is my pictures from the weekend:

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #145 on: November 30, 2011, 12:02:03 AM »
While I will admit that the spoken language of the time might be short on adjectives and such, could you translate the cave mens guttural sounds into a short story on how the hunt went?    ;)
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #146 on: November 30, 2011, 11:31:07 AM »
Yeah, I can tell a bit about the event.

The pictures are a mix from all the games, so I can't make a story connected directly.

The first game, the single one on friday, made me a bit nervous about the fire. I made 36 burnt earth markers, which I was pretty sure would be more than enough, but the players set so much fire and it spread wildly, so I ran out of counters. I thought I would be lacking in markers for the rest of Horisont, but luckily I found out that in the rest of the games 36 counters really were more than enough. But still I am going to make one more batch of counters, just to make sure for future games.

All games went fine, a bit slow in the beginning, but with lot of action as soon as the cavemen closed in.

The pit traps found use in all games, killing between one and three mammoths pr game. No one felt remorse for whiping out an entire species.

I think a total of three mammoths survived the six games by fleeing off the table.

All games during saturday went on with mammoths trampling cavemen, but the cavemen always triumphing in the end.

The last game on saturday turned out to be the wildest. We started out around midnight and by then people were getting strange ideas (maybe because of the beer and no sleep).

Only nine mammoths joined this game, I don't know why since we used ten for all the other games.

The players generally played strange, by accidentally moving eachothers models, moving too much, moving out of turn and such. We decided that it was late night prison rules, I have no idea where the name came from.

At some point a mammoth ran off the table and the closest caveman wanted to claim it as a kill, I said it had ran away and survived, but the player argued that there were a long way from the table top to the floor, so it would learly be dead from the fall. From here everything became a bit more strange as I told him it had found a way to the hollow earth and as such was walking on the backside of the table top. His cavemen then proceeded to follow the mammoth in the hollow earth (getting himself killed).

The result of the game was two kills for each players, so a multi draw and of course we could not let it end like that, so we decided to let the cavemen kill eachother off, the dogs were allowed to bite, the cavemen with tourches used them as clubs and the bowmen could shoot and use the bows as clubs.

After some time each player had one model left and it slowed down with bowmen fleeing and shooting and so forth, so I revived a weremammoth which prceeded to kill the players off.

In the end all players somehow thought they have won, one had most human kills, one killed the last mammoth, one had the last caveman standing and the last was probably just megalomaniac or such.

So total chaos and fun for all :D

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #147 on: November 30, 2011, 11:51:34 AM »
Great looking game, all the hard work you have put in has paid off :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing