Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:45:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686584
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Imperial guard army. C&C please.  (Read 5026 times)

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
Re: Imperial guard army. C&C please.
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 02:58:14 PM »
I'd start with the matte spray. I prefer Testor's Dullcote to all other brands.
http://www.thewarstore.com/product33266.html

After that, it may be best to start fresh. I still have my first painted miniatures in their original form. Anytime I'm not happy with a paint job, I can always pull them out and it puts everything in perspective.
'HAVOC... it's okay to wreak a little!'    <a href="http://www.bombshell-games.com/>bombshell games[/url]

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 09:37:34 AM »
As with your zeds, thin your paints  :)

You have the basic skills needed for high end painting, and whereas these IG are perfectly fine for gaming - especially gaming with large numbers - I can understand your wish to make individual models in small bands stand out for themselves; I went through the same process shortly after signing up here.

Basically, there are two main roads to go when painting minis:

1. If you want to paint many models in as short time as possible, block out colours and use washes and drybrusning for shading/highlights.

2. If you want really nice minis that photograph well up close and personal ( ;) ), use layering/blending (this CAN be combined with washes, but you'll lose some degree of control over the colours that way. Paint the entire area with the darkest colour, then add lighter and lighter layers of the same colour (with yellow or white or bone mixed in - there are different views on this).

This is how I personally went about it:

I purchased some triads - mainly Foundry, but others are available, too, and some empty paint pots of the same type (Black Hat has them).

I then mixed some intermediary shades (this takes a bit of fiddeling, as it seems, not all paints have the same pigment density). I keep a tedious record of my mixes.

I also mixed various colour series based on GW paints, and I will use any paint range that has colours/shades that I find use for.

And then I started experimenting with the layering.
For layering, as opposed to drybrushing, it is important to thin the paint to get as smooth transitions as possible. The more layers with little difference in shade and only a little of each previous layer showing you use, the smoother the result.
(I have heard some refer to this as 'blending' as oppsed to 'wet blending', but I'm not convinced that it should be called anything else but layering).
The final highlights should be a tone or two lighter than you would normally change from one layer to the next, and only be applied to very small areas.
This takes some practice, but look at some of the finely painted minis all over this side for references where/how to apply lighter layers and highlights for nice results.

Some people don't like using pre-mixed colours, but prefer mixing on-the-fly on small palettes, but I find it time-saving to have my mixes ready out-of-the-bottle (and I don't mind that my British Scarlet looks the same every time).

Layering can be augmented by 'wet blending' - a technique where you use very thinned paints, and a second wet brush to draw out the new layer to be more and more transparent, so that the hue of the previous layer shines through, and you get a seamless transision between the layers.

I don't do that, but results can be absolutely stunning.

I hope this helps. If you experience problems with getting the results you want, try finding minis with similar effects on here, and then ask the poster about his MO.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:32:37 PM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline jp762

• Scientist
  • Wait a mo! This isn't Motorhead!
    • JP sees lead people....(and then tries to paint them)
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 12:15:40 PM »
What a detailed and considered response. Thank you!
I have been toying with the idea of starting painting again for years but recently got back into it big time.
I am relearning and enjoying it.
All comments much appreciated!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 12:43:45 PM »
What a detailed and considered response. Thank you!

NP, I'm bored at work  lol

No, but really, it takes some practise to get the layering right, and I'm by no means a master painter, but I've found that painting is actually more fun when getting better results (I'm a gamer, not a miniatures painter, and painting really feels like a chore, sometimes, when there's SO many other things to use the time on). And you will improve fast, just remember to thin the paints (most pots have space for adding some water - some again prefer to put some paint on a palette and add a drop there), and try to mimick effects on other peoples' models. There are some REALLY talented painters who use layering techniques round here.

I'll be painting some cheap zeds very soon, and they'll get the opposite treatment, so I can get them on the table fast, whereas nice metal zeds, and especially breathers, are given some more attention.