Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:00:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689726
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Random Spells or Choose your Spells  (Read 5853 times)

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Re: Random Spells or Choose your Spells
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 05:41:01 AM »
I think if it was a one-off game it could add an interesting element, definitely keep you on your toes.

But if you look at it from a character development perspective, it would make sense that you decide what spells he has been studying this whole time.

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 05:58:46 PM »
there may be some reason for randomness, but right now I can't see one.
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 06:26:29 PM »
A bit more fun than just the randomness of the dice  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 12:00:58 AM »
Perhaps at character creation some influence over true random.

Or perhaps a rolled chance replace a random rolled spell.

Or trade off two spells not wanted for one chosen and one re-rolled random (binding.)

At level ups, a chance to influence spell selection (especially if spells divide into "elements" (Air, Earth, Water, Fire, Spirit, Illusion,) or "Schools" in the game.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 08:07:16 AM »
Perhaps choose one, then roll for some others?

Adds the randomness that should be there in fantasy, but also the idea that they have learnt something.

In a roleplay situation, I would also include age/level of education. An apprentice might know one or two little spells of healing or dispelling, perhaps one big one, whereas a grizzled old Master of Magics would know some pretty unruly spells that he probably shouldn't be allowed to know (almost world ending, or at least terra-forming, with lots of potential to go wrong!) along with all the stuff the apprentice knows, however, some of those he might have forgotten! You know, the more knowledge that goes in, the more that falls out!  :)

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 08:30:07 AM »
While I come down on the side of choosing spells (along with everybody else), I can understand trying to avoid a cookie-cutter approach to character creation where the same small number of optimal spells get chosen all the time ("Ho-hum, here comes a wizard, better get ready for the fireball...").

The solution in that instance is to allow spell choice, but give wizards more to do in-game than just zap stuff, summon stuff, heal stuff, etc. If there are real in-game benefits to be derived from more "scholarly" spells, then players will pick them to further their own interests.
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 09:01:17 AM »
Any wizard  should be able to choose his/her spells. If you really want something random, roll for the kind of wizard that your army commander has been able to find.

"So, have we found a good wizard to come with us?"
"Sorry sir, not one. They say they have important research to do, they don't want any more fighting."
"Oh. Any witch?"
"No sir. They have gone to a charity meeting on a mountain somewhere, they call it Walpurgis night, sir."
"So?"
"We've found a druid, sir."
"A druid? What can he do?"
"Er... He can change milk into butter, sir. Very good butter, I must say."

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 09:53:02 AM »
I would definately go for the different schools get different spells.
Earth/air/fire/water would be a good split.
Perhaps a little bit of overlap on some lower level spells, such as a "hot" spell giving either a pool of hot magma, dessicating breeze, fireball, or steam cloud. Obviously if it's low level ot would only be a small pool/breeze/ball/cloud.

As for chosen or random, I'd probably opt for a combination, perhaps half chosen half random? or one chosen 2 random at lower level, but higher level wizards gain more chosen as they progress (although keeping the rwo random).
Reason for the randoms? Ingredients out of season/out of stock/stolen by that thieving hobbit, or "revised the wrong page last night after dinner", or "I've always been really good at that one", or "it was really useful last week", thieving hobbits sell you some dodgy pipeweed, or just a magical powers cause a brief mental slip whilst you were setting off this morning.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2011, 05:32:03 PM »
I have already created three main categories or 'schools' of magic.  Basically a High, Natural, and Dark type of division.

Also have some 'divine rites' type of effects for non-wizard priestly types.

Heldrak brings up a great point regarding the min/maxers who will use the same 3 spells over and over.

Not sure I can keep that from happening.  However, it is something I need to chew on to see if its possible.  No matter what I come up with, they will always have their favorites.

I do the same thing.  So I can't really fault anyone for that.  ;)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 07:12:11 PM »
... maybe, if taking several spells is an option, there could be different lists based on elements or different magical schools (can't have fireball and petrify, as one is a fire spell and one is an earth spell; can't have summon animals and summon skeletons, as one is a druid spell and one is a necromantic spell), which means not every wizard will have 1-fireball; 2-summon skeletons; 3-healing. For example.

That was kinda the point. Don't put all the good spells in one basket. The trick is I suppose which spells are missing from each list. For exampleDruids might not get summon skeletons, High Magic types might not get spells to spook enemy animals (very useful against cavalry), Dark Magicians might not get healing/encouragement spells.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 07:16:38 PM »
How about having all spells accessable by all wizards, but some wizards have bonuses for casting certain types of spell, so your white wizard is going to be good at healing but his chances of casting a fireball are pretty slim- whilst your red witch is very good at flame grilling bad guys but isn't much good at casting concealmeat spells around her friends.
Duncan