Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:38:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691095
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 860
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Does Massachusetts work for you?  (Read 1967 times)

Offline frontal assault

• Librarian
Does Massachusetts work for you?
« on: September 05, 2011, 11:45:32 PM »
Nothing to do with the U.S. state, more of a model question.  Basically does this conversion that I've made to act as a physical inspiration for a book I'm trying to write (trying being the story of my writing career so far) work as a model (the character being called Massachusetts)?

P.S. Sorry about the rough and ready picture.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
Re: Does Massachusetts work for you?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 03:54:07 AM »
I'd have to know more about what you're going for. Right now all I can say is that it's... a female WH40K character. Also looks a bit short, like she's maybe a dwarf (or whatever the wh40k equivalent is these days), but that might just be a trick the angle and/or shadows in the pic, and since I don't know what she's supposed to be, I don't know if that would be a good or bad thing.

Only thing that really sticks out for me is that she has either too many guns or not enough hands. With no way to holster the bolter, and no way to operate the shotgun without letting go of the bolter, the result is more "juggling" or "encumbered" than "dual wielding". Maybe she's in the process of passing one of the guns to someone else?
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 08:01:56 AM »
Its good that she doesnt have her boobies out or that her breast plate is not booby shaped. That would be stupid and totally impractical. I quite like this look, but as posted above she just looks like a 40k character.

Offline frontal assault

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 12:41:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies Guys.  She looks like a dwarf because of the angle it was taken at.  As I said it's a rough and ready picture.  As for the 40k look well that's because the pieces she's made are mostly from GW, only the head is by a different company.  I'll be honest and say she was made on the cheap, more or less because I never intend to use her in a game (who know's she may somehow find a place in my small VBCW force), so I used what parts were avaliable at the time, or could be quickly and cheaply secured from a bits site.

The Pistol and Shotgun are there because those are her favourite weapons as will be described in the book.  She's intended as more of an inspiration piece than a playable model, a kind of Lord Kitchener poster in miniature form if you will, who'll keep me going whenever I'm stuck on what to write.  On something of a side note, don't ask me why the Shotgun has been sculpted the way it has.  It's a Space Marine part and for some reason I've never been able to fathom, Games Workshop seems to have this bizarre tendency to model Space Marines holding their guns by the muzzle rather than the trigger.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 12:51:36 PM by frontal assault »

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 01:27:45 PM »
It doesn't help that whoever designs the GW weapons, designs them so that they almost impossible to be operated by any known human being.

That said I quite like what you have done, she does have a certain Steampunk look about her. Some equipment pouches etc.  or maybe a cape would look quite cool.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 01:13:11 AM »
It doesn't help that whoever designs the GW weapons, designs them so that they almost impossible to be operated by any known human being.

Seems to be an issue with a lot of sci-fi weaponry in general, not just GW stuff. Movie/TV producers seem to have a fairly difficult time keeping their prop guns looking remotely ergonomic even when they're just tacking cosmetic bits onto a real gun (an approach I hate, as it frequently spoils the illusion). There also seem to be a lot of "futuristic/advanced" guns where "bigger and louder" seems to be the only practical difference between them and modern guns. They're not more powerful, or more accurate, or more anything (and sometimes actually less/worse) other than just chunky and noisy.

She's intended as more of an inspiration piece than a playable model, a kind of Lord Kitchener poster in miniature form if you will, who'll keep me going whenever I'm stuck on what to write.

That actually seems like a reason not to skimp, IMO. Playable models need to be economical, given the numbers needed, risk of damage, etc., but for what you're doing I'd think display model standards would be more desirable & effective. In fact it seems rather counterintuitive (to me) to treat something like this as being less worthy of effort and/or money than a table-bound grunt.