Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:08:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What rules do you guys use for zombies?  (Read 9419 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
What rules do you guys use for zombies?
« on: November 15, 2007, 08:47:41 PM »
I have just ordered the board game Zombies (+ an extra 100 walking corpses...) - and, needless to say, some of those shambling plastics are - over time - going to end up on my painting table (another project, yikes).

Now: What rules should I purchase for a contemporary/near future zombie plague setting?

I want to be able to let players run 1-? minis, and still have a good time when only playing with one... I also want to be able to mix in bikers, and other horror elements such as werewolves/vampires (Underworldish).

Suggestions, please, I'm on a roll right now, having actually finished about 8 minis lately (after half a year of painter's block) and I have to keep ideas flowing, to keep up steam  :wink:

I understand that Future Wars has rules for almost anything?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 09:12:38 PM »
OK, there are a number out there

ATZ is a very popular one

Xtreme Zombie hunter is good for 1 figure games

Occult Wars is ideal for expanding into other genres with EWerewolves, vampires etc

There are conversions for Combat Zone

and a good few free sets out there, my favourite is

http://www.pm-production.nu/dead-walk-again-archive.php#download

and check out the eerie horror forum for some inspriation, many of the lads here are also on there

http://eeriehorror1.10.forumer.com/

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead for the Lead Mountain!
    • http://www.loresdelsith.net
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 08:07:18 AM »
I really like to use "The Dead walk Again". Fast and fun rules based in Action Points like the old space hulk that provide very fun games and are easy to introduce new players to...

http://www.pm-production.nu/dead-walk-again.php
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
Keyan Sark - Coordinador de SithNET
SithNET - http://www.loresdelsith.net
TT - http://talisman.foro.st
http://displacedminiatures.com/keyansark
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 09:09:34 AM »
I'll take a look, thanks!  :)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 09:13:24 AM »
Quote from: "KeyanSark"
I really like to use "The Dead walk Again". Fast and fun rules based in Action Points like the old space hulk that provide very fun games and are easy to introduce new players to...

They have just revamped the rules to add in more character generation and searching rules for buildings. I can say (after joining the Yahoo group last night) that these rules are now beyond good they are great and with the simple mechanisms will have all who play into the game in no time :)

I had modified the originals myself but they have done a very good job of it and it is slick and ready to go.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 09:20:59 AM »
There's Zombie Apocalypse, a skirmish game, by Gamewerks - it was a free download for Halloween - haven't had time to look at it yet though.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 09:45:04 AM »
Quote from: "Lowtardog"
Quote from: "KeyanSark"

They have just revamped the rules to add in more character generation and searching rules for buildings. I can say (after joining the Yahoo group last night) that these rules are now beyond good they are great and with the simple mechanisms will have all who play into the game in no time :)

I had modified the originals myself but they have done a very good job of it and it is slick and ready to go.

I just finished reading version 1 (slow day at work) - and really liked it!

Now I have to read version 2, too...  :D

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 09:51:41 AM »
Version 2 is great and I will convert over to it. I have to say being a grognard (old gamer) that I dont often get excited but these rules are so simpel yet have a lot in them. I am the guy at the club who runs all the games for zombies and as such you want one that newbies can pick up quickly so you dont have to umpire too hard. The zombie rules do however let you participate and have fun though even as an umpire or plumpire  :D

I have played the first version with each player having 1 character with 6 people and played to a conclusion in a night

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 09:54:15 AM »
Here is a write up of our club games we always set our games like this, wild west etc in Tringsville :lol:

The Dead Awaken

Tringsville some time in the near future;

"Everyone thought that Bird Flu wouldn't be a problem and for birds it wasn't?"
 With the killing of flocks across the world Nations thought they were safe until the mounds of dead Birds awaiting incineration began to move....

Flocks of Undead birds swarmed across the skies at first people thought it was a fault with the pest control measures until reports came flooding in that animals in fields then isolated farms, villages and then towns were being attacked, people killed by the birds.

The Huge flocks were hunted down, thankfully the governments were able to control them through finding their roosting spots at night, and even the dead birds retained that instinct to roost.

Everyone thought it was over until those injured but not killed by the birds
 began to suffer from Pneumonia effects. Whole villages were stricken, the
 government was powerless to stop the contagion, road and rail systems were
 gridlock. The health and emergency services were swamped and then
they themselves infected. The armies of the world were mobilised to quarantine
whole counties but could they hold the infection back?

Tringsville is a small but growing town, it has its up town and its seedier side like many but generally the people are good. Lately there have been fugitives and people seeking refuge in the town. Too many for the Governor. Road blocks have been set up by the Police and radio reports are coming in from the Helo team that a large group of refugees are heading for the town..............................

The First day…

Every one was dumb founded; the world they had known had disappeared as easily as a puff of smoke. No electricity, no sound from the TV, Radios and every day hustle and bustle, just the screech of tyres from survivors leaving the town, shots and screams from the unfortunate and the relentless low level moan, and shuffling of the undead always a constant in every survivors head. Few had slept since sightings of the hordes of former friends, family and neighbours, few knew what to do, who to go to or where, why had it happened. Had the Government not reported the infection had been checked?

In the suburbs of Tringsville 10 very alive people struggle with the horror….

Pils Lagerson and Stu Apper (Keiran) who until recently had been neighbours furtively searched through the small bungalows for food, their hopes turning to fear as they found zombies lurching from once welcome households.

Nearby what was left of the Tringsville County Police, Patrol car 175368x approach the church hoping against hope that they can save the children, a last gesture of the once beneficent local enforcement authority and the last vestiges of Authority in the town. Officer Pete Domino 55 years this year and ready for retirement covers Joe a rooky cop as they prepare to enter the rear of the school (Graham). They don’t think what they will do with a class full of children or how they can keep them safe even if they do find them all they know that it is their duty to help where possible.

“Well at least the law wasn’t around, things could be good and we could be kings” this was the opinion of MD Bustard and Crayzee Funker (Chris) soul brothers since they left prison after serving 2 years for armed robbery. They were out for hell and hell had found them. Now it was going to be fun, no rules, no regulations no Big Man to send them down. First option, find some loot.

Billy Joe and Clint Duke (Mark) had driven into town the previous day. It was their monthly trip into the “Big lights” and they had wanted to blow off steam before returning to the hard task of wrangling back at the K Bar Ranch. Little did they know that the morning after leaving the hotel the horror that awaited them, they had already run into trouble when trying to report suspicious characters at the police station when Billy Joe had been swamped by hideous cadavers on entering the Station house. Only Clint’s quick thinking had managed to save him and the fact that he had his shotgun in the SUV.

By the diner George Deans and Frank Harmon (Ken) two businessmen who were traveling on the local commuter train until it crashed, head for the diner. Why? Because it is familiar to them it is a spot they always go to on a Friday for a quick chat and bite to eat before returning to their families. They had always done this form being friend at school, from getting an ice cream as kids to taking dates for a meal now it seemed the only thing to do, trust in routine!

On entering the Diner they found no food, infact they were on the menu, though exhausted they dealt with the walking mounds of rotting flesh easily exacting all of their frustration on the bodies. A quick decision was made to move to the Fire station reasoning that the fire officers would still be there and in lieu of any other authority a guy in a uniform was better than none. As they started moving they heard several shots on the other side of town and large groups moving towards the source of the sound. It seemed an eternity until the foul cadavers passed but they cowered in the shadows until such time as they felt safe to make the move. They reached the Fire Station, barged through the door and fell heavily against it pushing it closed. On turning round they saw a movement, to their relief it was not a corpse but a disheveled man in his mid 30s. “I am Jack Swift”. It transpired that he had been the phone operator in the station when the world went wrong and not knowing what to do he decided to stay put and man the phones. At first calls were coming in thick and fast but for 3 hours there had been no calls and in the last hour the line had gone dead. With nothing of value the three men crept to the Bungalows to see if they could find food and shelter, night was fast approaching and they did not want to be caught in the open. The first bungalow looked small but well kept much like hundreds of such dwellings that retired couples live in. As they entered they were greeted by a foul odour. Reasoning that it must be rotten food in the fridge George walked in. Luckily for him Frank held back as 3 undead lurched from the shadows to cut of Georges retreat. The shots were fired and the Zombies put down. Jack was smiling like a child “I got me a Pistol from that there dead security guard” Frank took the Pistol and opened the chamber “do your self a favour and keep this for an emergency” when Jack looked at it there was only one round. “Lets Hunker down for the night” said George and with that the first of many rituals to come leaves them securing all the doors with furniture to protect against unwelcome guests. As Jack sat down he screamed, both George and Frank jumped with shock and pointed their guns at Jack “Hey its OK I just sat on my car keys?”

After the close call in the Police station Billy and Clint decided to split up to see what they could grab before going back to the ranch. Billy made his way over to the Police car where on opening the door was faced with its driver still restrained but moving in the driver’s seat. He put a round through its head and moved on to the Helicopter only to have the same happen again. The next nearest building was the school so Billy went purposefully towards it partially confident of safety as the Zombies were moving to what sounded like a gun battle over by the Mayors house.

Clint meanwhile reckoned that the motel would be worth searching, it had been full last night and he hadn’t seen anyone leave this morning so there must be luggage, and hopefully other people still in the motel. As he moved to the first room he kicked the door open to see 3 corpses feeding on a fourth, they moved with a slow but purposeful gait towards him at the same moment 3 others rounded the corner, shooting two in the face and knocking the third down with his shotgun butt he ran to the end of the block of rooms as he did so he received a slash across the face from what must have once been a good time girl, several of the false nails broke off as they bit deeply into his cheek. A noise that sounded like talking came from the room at the end, assuming it couldn’t be a corpse he pushed the door open only to shut it as quickly when shots were fired at him grazing his left arm. Again Clint was on the run and wound his way over to the other Motel block, forcing his way into the room not caring what was inside only knowing that he was hurt and needed to assess his wounds he was blown back across the forecourt “what the F?” some sort of explosive had gone off, luckily the door had protected him from the blast. As Clint was trying to shake the concussion 3 more husks of humans attacked him, blowing the head off one he turned to the other and hear “Click” he froze not able to move until he was bitten on the hand by a legless cadaver that had crept out of the now smoke filled room. George managed with the bite to come to his senses and pulled himself up onto the flat roof of the motel where he lay panting and checking his wounds. Billy made it into the school as over a dozen zombies appeared at the corner. He slumped to the ground and cried letting out all the fears of the day and wondering where his friend was.

Crazee and MD decided to go shooting seeing an articulated lorry they checked inside seeing the sign for Bourbon on the trailer, out of the trailer came 5 zombies. Both of them jumped up onto the cab and moved onto the trailer to get away form the corpses not so much in fear but for a better vantage point. From there they saw that it had been the right thing to do as 7 zombies were moving across towards them forms the Town hall and another 5 were emerging from behind the trailer. Things were tight but heck this was going to be good. Crazee fired both barrels at the zombies shouting “get some, get some”, not to be left out MD followed suit. They realised that though they were slaughtering them more were coming and from all angles At that point Crazee yelped, some one had shot them? MD jumped down to see where the shooting was coming from and was immediately attacked by zombies, shooting two and stoved in the head of a third MD jumped back onto the cab of the truck and moved onto the roof. Crouching there they saw two Yahoos. Crazee gave them both barrels from his shotgun which sent them reeling but they scrambled up and ran into the Town hall. After a time shooting at any passing corpse that passed they climbed down and wandered into the suburbs to find something to drink.

Pils and Stu were after money ever since sharing a party fence they had dreamed of ditching their families and getting a boat to sail around the coast, the good life! The starting point was the old folks houses, they always kept cash under mattresses in tins on the mantle piece, how wrong they were, the first house was decked out for a party alright but looking at the guests they declined the invite and blasted away until the room was strewn with gore, they couldn’t understand why the corpses had stayed at the table until they heard the sobbing. Looking under the table they found a middle aged man hugging his knees. Stu dragged him out and after slapping his face explained their plan. Alan Adstock nodded however Stu and Pils thought he would have nodded if they had suggested a trip in a barrel over a waterfall.  The three of them then checked out the next bungalow more zombies who they shot quickly. It was hotting up outside with groups of cadavers moving towards the house alerted by the noise. Pils made the plan “the Town hall holds the pay for all civil servants doesn’t it? well lets go get our pay day” they moved over to the town hall where Pils saw two guys on the roof of a lorry “Jesus, its those guys off Crime Watch, lets bag us some reward money” with that he took a shot  at the closest one knocking him off his feet. Stu dragged him towards the town hall; the street was filling up with corpses all drawn by the gunfire. At this point they were shot at and all three to pellets to their backs and legs, luck would have it that the pattern was too wide and the wounds weren’t fatal. They fought there way into the Town hall to be met by once live guard who now dead stuck to their duty of defending the hall. They were put down but Stu took a bite to the thigh as he grappled with one of the guards before stomping on his head. Searching the hall they found nothing but trouble. Time to get out they tried to move out of the door the way they came but there were too many zombies and the thugs were still there waiting for them perhaps? Moving through the hall to the main entrance they decided to make a dash for it, on leaving the building they saw again dozens of cadavers, try as they might they knocked them down only to see them get back up. Retreating to the bell tower they decided to wait until tomorrow before making a break for it.

Pete stood by the door with his shotgun aimed ready for Joe to open it, once inside Pete pushed past Joe and with years of experience scanned the whole area quickly taking down the 2 zombies ambling in the room. Joe stood and viewed the devastation it hadn’t been children in the school house but a PTA association, the desks, walls and floor were a sea of blood and gore, instinctively he began radioing for help. Pete slapped the radio form his hands “There no one left; were the only law in town now and I 3 months form retirement!” Joe didn’t see the funny side and bit his bottom lip drawing blood. “Right, we go check out the Trailer park we cant risk any disorder or rioting and now Crazee and MD are back in town that’s where they will be holed up”. Covering each other they moved to the trailer park. Each trailer was searched for the dup but nothing other than a slice of cold Pizza was found which Pete ate as they walked.

On clearing the trailers of anything that moved and shouldn’t, they heard shots from the Mayors house “should we go Pete?” asked Joe nervously “No lets get some grub my gut thinks its throats been cut” with that Pete led them towards the Diner. They stopped and watched incredulously as half the towns former inhabitants moved randomly across the street, randomly other than they seemed to be drawn by the gunfire.  As they moved into the diner there were sign so of a gun battle, holes peppered the walls and shell cases littered the floor. There was movement in the kitchen Pete now close to screaming ran as fast as he could to the counter and emptied his shotgun into the kitchen “the meat dish is off the menu” he cried.

As night fell the disparate groups safe for the moment take stock, how are they going to survive? There is a shopping list; Weapons and ammunition – this is a given. Food and other essentials – again must have, Survivors – Here the groups consider their reasons, is it to band together for a better world, search out loved ones and friends or simply safety in numbers.
What had caused this, why hadn’t it stopped with the culling of the birds?
In the Rothschild Facility, Dr. Merrick called the guards “Release Projects 01442 and 01296, let see how they fair. Two guards moved to the technicians manning the control panels and instructed them to start.  Deep beneath the Stately Home several “drain covers” raised with a groan and electronic click…….. This was the Regional headquarters of the Parasol Corporation

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 10:16:25 AM »
Just finished reading version 2. GREAT!! I'll start with these rules as soon as possible, then maybe expand with some other rulesets.

Lots of zombies have to be painted, though, but maybe I can get the players-in-spe to paint a handful each  :roll:

Offline ChukTuttle

• Librarian
  • Physicist/Astronomer
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 11:01:38 PM »
Look Daddy, I painted one of your robots!!!

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 01:00:03 AM »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 05:39:11 PM »
Quote from: "matakishi"
I use ATZ.

http://www.matakishi.com/zombieinvasion2005.htm

Recommendable?

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 05:47:45 PM »
They're good once you know what you're doing. The layout is poor and finding basic information while you're playing is a pain.

I found them inspiring to read because they're full of ideas but I have started my own zombie rules that will suit me better. Available when I feel like it  :)

The main advantage with ATZ is that everyone is on the same side vs game controlled zombies and it works for solo play too.

I also have Xtreme Zombie Hunter which I hope to try once I get around to painting my hunters.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 05:53:15 PM »
Quote from: matakishi

The main advantage with ATZ is that everyone is on the same side vs game controlled zombies and it works for solo play too.
quote]

I think DwA could work for that as well; the rules pretty much define the behaviour of the zombies. But I'll know more after trying the rules tomorrow.  :)