Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:05:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Is "Go Strong into the Desert" useful for terrain building?  (Read 4002 times)

Offline Snugger

• Assistant
Is "Go Strong into the Desert" useful for terrain building?
« on: September 12, 2011, 09:36:19 AM »
One of my current projects is venturing into Colonial Africa, and the Perry range for Sudan caught my fancy. Their book, "Go Strong into the Desert" is no doubt very useful for painters and scenario-builders, but does it contain much useful information and illustrations about the man-made structures of the area and time? My guess is that there is plenty inspiration for landscapes, but what about rural houses, Sudan cities and the like?

Likewise, are there any other, preferably online, resources you would recommend?

Offline Frank

• LPL Champion (S5,S8) Bronze Medalist (S6)
  • Mad Scientist
    • My TableTop Blog
Re: Is "Go Strong into the Desert" useful for terrain building?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 03:08:41 PM »
Yes, there are some useful pictures in the book (old prints). There are some different kinds of cities / towns and villages in the Sudan. The cities on the coast, like Suakin, are quite different from the towns at the Nile, like Khartoum and Berber. In the south of the Sudan, you will find more native villages (Nuba, Dinka, Nuer, Schilluk…). So, what you are looking for? You can also take a look on my blog, were you can find some pictures of Suakin:

http://tabletopdeutschland.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/suakin-im-sudan/

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 05:54:31 PM »
Touching History, Issue 3, was on The sudan and World war II.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Snugger

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 10:12:57 PM »
Thanks for the help! I'll buy a .pdf of Touching History, and those illustrations on Frank's site was just perfect.

As for what I'm looking for, it's mainly housing and fences that both fit historically in the Mahdist War period, and that can be reused in other games (in this case first and foremost Chaos in Cairo, but I'm always looking for reusability since I have a tendncy to switch game and setting every other month). So the buildings in Suakin seems to be a good starting point.

Anyway, I'll order the "Go Strong into the Desert" as well. Got some cash to spend after I sold my Space Marines...

Offline Koppi

• Scientist
    • My Figs
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 08:55:37 PM »
Do you know the fabulous range of Jens Najewitz ??
Just have a look here. Some of the houses you can see in Franks BLOG.

http://www.lasermodellbau.de/index.php?option=com_jshopping&controller=category&task=view&category_id=33&Itemid=9&lang=en

Also have a look at his 1/72 range. It works very well with 28 mm figures.

http://www.lasermodellbau.de/index.php?option=com_jshopping&controller=category&task=view&category_id=34&Itemid=9&lang=en