Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 12, 2024, 02:41:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697248
  • Total Topics: 118816
  • Online Today: 592
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Newbie starting a new game help required please  (Read 1706 times)

Offline doublesix66

• Lurker
Newbie starting a new game help required please
« on: October 10, 2011, 03:46:53 PM »
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum but not to gaming, DMed CoC, A&D, Traveller & Startgrunt II. Just starting this game off, love the rules and the genre, going to be starting a game with a few others looking to have 3 players + me Dming for the 1st few games, then probably helping on one side.

Will do a quick run down of the rules with examples of combat etc 1st so everyone can get to grips with the system/sheets.

Then I plan to run a game (this is where I could do with some input).

The idea of the game is to start an campaign with each playing looking for some lost treasure, each game giving them clues where to go next. Which will lead them to either Berlin, London Natural museum, eventually they will end up at an ancient city site.

The 1st game will be based in the Black forest, in the forest there are several ancient stones with carvings on them some are clues to possible future locations, after gathering the clues they make a research check to see where they go next.

I plan to have the 3 players each having their own gang.
Gang 1 L3 British officer, L2 scientist/dr, 2x grade 1 helpers
Gang 2 L3 Scientist  L2 German Officer, 2x grade 1 helpers
Gang 3 L3 Head cultist, L2 cultist, 2x grade 1 minions (all based on the thugs as not initiated yet just hired thugs)

I'm looking not to have many guns probably only pistols for the L3 officer and the other L2's, with others armed with knives and shovels.

The encounters will be 2x pit trap (natural covered holes), bear trap, 3x clues, some ancient coins, 2 x nothing of interest. will it be best to place these next to each set of stones. I'm also looking to set a time limit as a storm in coming in, will 8 turns be ample time?

Later games depending of the numbers around might just be one of the no 1&2 gangs with no 3 gang playing the baddie or some supernatural encounters.

All help will be gratefully appreciated  

Regards

Pablo '66'

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Re: Newbie starting a new game help required please
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 05:54:22 PM »
The easiest way to handle encounters not tied specifically to the stones is to assume each of the teams has a map. They cannot research a stone until they have "found" it. In order to find it, they must pass through at least 3 encounter markers. After that, they can move to a stone and do their research. This will mean each player will be trying to get to the markers, not knowing if they are good or bad and not just dancing around them as they try to get to the stones.

Sounds like it could be a fun game. I hope to read how it turns out.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline timothymayer

• Student
    • Kraftmark
Re: Newbie starting a new game help required please
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 10:04:04 PM »
Welcome to 0.45! It's been the game I enjoy the most since I started playing it a few years ago.
Tim Mayer