Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:57:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691057
  • Total Topics: 118367
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Advice required on 3 way X Wing game scenario  (Read 1257 times)

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Advice required on 3 way X Wing game scenario
« on: February 11, 2016, 05:36:13 PM »
Hi guys,

Next week I plan on putting on an X wing scenario. There will be three players (because I want to play) but I want only two sides. I know that sounds pretty easy, you just give one side two players with both sides having the same points. I would like more than that, I would like a 'mission' that would hinder the greater (2 player) side with a handicap - completing the mission being the major decider.

All of the players in this gig are novices, none more so than me, which is why I need the advice.

I'm hoping that a scenario might exist where (in points) the two [same side] players outnumber the one player by 3:2, or 2:1, but the scenario compensates the outnumbered player because of the victory conditions.

This kind of scenario exists in other periods and I'm more interested in that kind of thing than simple 'competition' style games.

Please, can you help a complete uninformed novice?

James

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Advice required on 3 way X Wing game scenario
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 07:06:38 PM »
What about the 2 player side being split into an initially outnumbered force and a relief force? If the 1 player side can't take advantage of the situation early on then they have to face the larger force later? Perhaps a Rebel ambush of an Imperial patrol with another Imperial patrol called in to assist?

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 07:17:01 PM »
Come up with a goal for the single player and require the other two to prevent its completion. For instance...

"This Data is Worth Our Lives"
A team of Rebel agents have captured the secret plans for an Imperial superweapon. Not being complete idiots, they made copies for each of them. Now to escape, they must run a gauntlet of Imperial ships so they can jump to hyperspace.
Setup:
The Rebels start within one ruler of a table edge.
The two Imperial forces each start within one ruler of the center of each adjacent table edge, one on either side.
Objectives:
  • The Rebels must get at least one ship off the far edge of the table to win.
  • the Imperials must destroy all Rebel ships to win.

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 06:44:17 PM »
What about the superior side having to "catch" a specific ship? Either let the lone player know which one, and then the objective is to not destroy that particular ship, but shoot down all others. Option two is to keep which ship secret, but the superior side is not allowed to deal any damage to that particular ship.

I only played X-Wing once, so maybe this is a bad idea :/