Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:21:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Google Sketchup - Anyone using it?  (Read 2455 times)

Offline G2

• Librarian
Google Sketchup - Anyone using it?
« on: October 14, 2011, 01:19:20 AM »
Hi All

I have wanted to use Google's Sketchup (free 3D modelling program) to assist me in planning out models and terrain pieces. About 4 days ago I finally started using it. Does anyone here use it to plan out their custom models or terrain? If so, can you please share your experience. I am after tips and hints. AND I would like to know if you actually build things in your scale of choice (ie 15mm, 28mm, 1/56 etc) or whether you model them at a larger size (maybe 1:1) and then scale things down later.

Anyway here is what I managed to build. I did it more as a learning project. I am still working on it.

Zombiesmith's - Baeliog Tractor for the Quar

Note: The Baeliog was modelled on photos taken from the internet, and it is done to 28mm.
-------------------------------------------
Standing Small - G2's Miniatures Blog
-------------------------------------------

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
Re: Google Sketchup - Anyone using it?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 05:50:07 AM »
Sangenaru did this piece: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=27243.0

Do a search for "sketchup" here on the forum. You're bound to find more threads.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 08:48:02 PM »
I use it for all my kits.

Http://brandlin.blogspot.com

You can even download the sketch up files if you want to play around with them...

Offline infelix

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 09:40:15 PM »
I use it quite often to design bits and pieces and I've had some of them 3D printed. The best advice I can give you is to join the forums at http://forums.sketchucation.com as there is tons of really good plugins and scripts that makes working with Sketchup much easier and gives you more options.

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them.

Offline G2

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 09:08:28 AM »
@ zizi666: Thanks for the tip. I had already tried searching for previous threads, and there weren't as many threads as I hoped there would be, hence why I started this one.

@ Brandlin: I did notice that you use it for your models. I was quite inspired to continue with my projects, based on what I saw on your blog/website. Nice stuff indeed.

@ Infelix: That is some good advice. I actually joined the forum you mentioned a while ago, but I never visited it. I think I will start going to it, as it sounds very useful. I am really interested in the models that you got printed. Did they turn out ok, and where did you send your files to be printed?

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 02:54:12 PM »
If you want to see more terrain that people have made using sketchup, head over to Terragenesis - www.terragenesis.co.uk - Andy the site's owner has been championing it for several years and seemingly tries to get everyone who posts on there to use it too... there are some great examples of stuff designed using sketchup on there, including some of Brandlin's early work I think.

Offline infelix

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 04:21:02 PM »
@G2

They turned out ok, but not more then just ok. The biggest problem was the lack of fine detail material at that time. I believe that they have added some better ones since then.

The company I used was Shapeways, the service was excellent and they have pretty good prices as well. Just make sure you use the high detail materials because the standard one is not suitable for small and detailed objects imo.