Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:18:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 855
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mantic Warpath Launch Day  (Read 7712 times)

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
Mantic Warpath Launch Day
« on: November 13, 2011, 11:26:05 AM »
Went to this in Nottingham yesterday. A bit 'ad hoc' but fun. Nice to attend the seminar and listen to Ronnie and Alessio chat about the future, especially the interplay between them (Will Alessio ever dare to have a week off work again?).

Best of all, saw some concept piccies for the Corporation stuff, the Evil Human Empire - I liked them and will especially be buying the Fallschrimjager troopers, they look very good. Also heard about the ideas for humans in Kings of War, good to hear that concepts a-plenty in the offing but not a single 15-16th century or medieval French fantasy figure in sight, meaning a departure from the larger company also based in Nottingham. Nice to also hear about the 'fan lists' which convert that other companies figures to Mantic's fantasy world and the fact that, next year, the rules, army lists and attendant 'fluff' will be released in one big hardback book at a price which reflects reality rather than corporate profiteering.

All in all, for a still fairly new company, Mantic are pushing forward into new areas which arguably compliment the worlds of  others whilst attempting to at least partially break new ground and offer different perspectives. Next time, would like Mantic to provide a much bigger venue and really make a launch party out of it!

Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
Re: Mantic Warpath Launch Day
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 12:12:04 PM »
I picked up Kings of War recently, and reading through the rules the there is stuff I like, including the simplicity, but it seemed to me that in a player's Turn the opponent does absolutely nothing, which seems a pretty dull/boring proposition.  I worry that this is true of Warpath also (of course I may be completely misreading and misunderstanding the rules as written...).

Still that said, in making gaming more financially accessible than say their Greater-sized Workplace rivals, then more power to them.
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline leutenantbrittan

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 01:01:46 PM »
I had high hopes for warpath but the miniatures thus far have been a bit of a let down to be honest. Still I will be keeping an eye on the range just in case I see anything of use!

It's also a bit of a shame they chose armistice day to launch a wargame. One would have thought they would have had a bit more sensitivity...

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 02:46:46 PM »
We went along yesterday, and the game plays very simply.
On the plus side, you can field lots of figures and not have the hassle of lots of charts and stats, but will quickly play through to a conclusion.

The rules and army lists are available as a free PDF download.

The dwarf figures for Warpath look reasonable enough, but the corporate troops look very promising.

They are also planning a boardgame - "Dwarf King's Hold in Space" - corridors, rooms, space figures etc.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline consectari

• Librarian
  • Rat King
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 07:55:05 PM »
I was initially a bit disappointed when I found out they re-used the fantasy legs/bodies on the sci-fi minis, but that quickly changed.  The fantasy bits aren't overly fantasy (bare footed orcs, dwarfs with daggers) and makes it easy to mix in whole fantasy sets with the sci fi.  

I won't be using Mantics rules and I mostly play gang-skirmish games.  Being able to mix in the fantasy rifles, axes, and crossbows (converted to shotguns) is quite a blessing.

They don't have the options you get from a GW kit, but are still quality sculpts at great prices.  With a little modeling, you can get a lot out of them, and who else offers plastic space dwarfs?

The Marauders (orcs) really remind me of the old Gorkamorka orks (only way better).  I think they'll fit my gang-skirmish games much better than GWs.

I bought the Warpath starter set and some fantasy dwarfs.  I'm very pleased with them and plan to get some fantasy orcs to mix with the Marauders.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 08:03:35 PM by consectari »
All my best ideas are someone elses

Offline chromedog

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 10:27:14 PM »
It's also a bit of a shame they chose armistice day to launch a wargame. One would have thought they would have had a bit more sensitivity...

I thought they chose 'Nigel Tufnel day' for that reason, instead.

Warpath.
Like 40k, but turned up to ELEVEN!  \m/\m/

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 11:14:51 AM »
I have slowly moved away from Mantic for now, 20mm/15mm Moderns and Sci fi is what has my current interest. I like what Mantic produces but won't be getting anymore until what I have is complete.

Offline therepoman

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 11:16:19 AM »
I have slowly moved away from Mantic for now, 20mm/15mm Moderns and Sci fi is what has my current interest. I like what Mantic produces but won't be getting anymore until what I have is complete.

When is a project EVER complete?
 lol
post-collapse tabletop adventures: www.wreck-age.net

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 11:22:33 AM »
I'm waiting for the Corporation minis - apparently scheduled next-ish - with some interest. Hopefully they won't be very pseudofantastic/gothic... What little is know of their background indicates that they shouldn't be, so maybe they'll be more ubiquitous than space dwaves and not-orks.

I found nothing in the rules to intest me.

Offline ironmammoth

• Librarian
    • Iron Mammoth Design
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 02:27:50 PM »
I must admit that up until recently I had classified Mantic as just another upstart company trying to grab some of GWs business (and no I haven't been a GW fanboy for a good few years).

However I picked up their German Zombies set (including some Warlard Games Germans and Mantic Zombies).
I must say I am very impressed with the quality of the zombie figures. They are easily convertible, have some lovely detail and go together very well.

I haven't been a fantasy player for a good few years but I must admit I am tempted by the undead army. I am also keen to see how the Dark Elf army turns out...

I haven't been so impressed with the look of the Warpath figures or vehicles so far, but I am keen to see the human figures and I am now keeping an eye on all their releases.

Iron Mammoth's Studio!
Model Making, Figure Sculpting and wargaming!
http://ironmammoth.blogspot.com/

Iron Mammoth Design
Figure Sculpting, Model Making, Laser-Cutting
http://www.ironmammoth.talktalk.net/imd/

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 04:36:27 PM »
When is a project EVER complete?
 lol

This is very true, well no hope here then!

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 08:50:47 PM »
I must admit that up until recently I had classified Mantic as just another upstart company trying to grab some of GWs business (and no I haven't been a GW fanboy for a good few years).

I have also not been a GW fan in quite some time and another thing that bugs me about all these companies trying to get a slice of the GW pie is that Sci-Fi and Futuristic=Gothic.  I'm so tired of it.  From the Terrain compainies to the copycat mini companies I'm tired of it.  I want to see sleek sci-fi or industrial sci-fi.  I'm sick of Gothic sci-fi.   

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 01:41:53 PM »
I have also not been a GW fan in quite some time and another thing that bugs me about all these companies trying to get a slice of the GW pie is that Sci-Fi and Futuristic=Gothic.  I'm so tired of it.  From the Terrain compainies to the copycat mini companies I'm tired of it.  I want to see sleek sci-fi or industrial sci-fi.  I'm sick of Gothic sci-fi.   

that, spot on about the whole sci-fi must = dark gothic, drives me mad too.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 02:10:41 PM »
I want to see sleek sci-fi or industrial sci-fi.  I'm sick of Gothic sci-fi.   

I somewhat agree with that statement - especially the industrial sci-fi is rather under-represented out there, I think (sleek is, I guess, what Infinity and Antenociti are bringing out?).

I'm not as fed-up with 'gothic' as Ironworker, but I do thnk that the world needs more futuristic wargames that don't owe their style to GW-influence.

That being said, I really like the Forgefathers minis, and I shall probably buy some to use in some skirmish game... and I'm keen to see what the final result of the humans will be.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 02:24:14 PM »
I agree with the anti-gothic crowd but would also add that I quite like the Dwarf minis that the new Warpath range has in it's ranks.

I would also say that a long time ago, when GW was young, there was I-Kore and the Void range of miniatures.  They were nice clean-lined Sci-fi.  The game was good too.  In fact, they are still available so there is the good stuff out there...but it didn't do too well, did it?

Infinity, GOT (from Antenocitis Workshop), Heresy Sci-fi...not to mention the Studio McVey stuff and Hasslefree's excellent sci-fi ranges, all have clean lines and the adventurers and gangers from these would also fit in with the industrial feel as well.

There are new hard plastic marines coming from Defiance Games and the Frontier Forces from Mega Mini are as cheap as chips...

What I am trying to say is that there is a heck of a lot of variety out there and not all companies follow the Gothic route.  From what I believe, Mantic have ridden on GW's coat tails to get a decent foot in the market but future releases will be geared towards a less Gothic setting...and to be honest, with the way things are with the economy, I can't blame them!