Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 13, 2024, 01:05:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697290
  • Total Topics: 118819
  • Online Today: 547
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hirst Arts molds, European vendor?  (Read 3625 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Hirst Arts molds, European vendor?
« on: December 14, 2011, 08:48:59 AM »
Can somebody please point me to a good, reliable source for Hirst Arts molds in Ye Olde Worlde?

Several persons from my local club are planning to buy some stuff, And I thought I'd better help them find a good place to buy   ;)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Scout_II

• Bookworm
Re: Hirst Arts molds, European vendor?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 08:55:15 AM »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 08:57:45 AM »
Damn.  lol  lol  lol

Thanks! I guess I could just have googled that  :)

Offline Scout_II

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 09:01:16 AM »
Keep in mind, Hirst does a volume discount scheme on the pricing.  If you and a bunch of others from your club are looking to order - you might be able to get a better price ordering directly from the US.  Figure out what you want to order and then make the comparison between the two (remembering any customs charges...UK is funny that way, not sure about Denmark).

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 09:12:35 AM »
Yep, the biggest problem with ordering from outside the EU is the customs charges and import taxes/VAT.

That's why I wanted to find a European vendor - the guys (and a gal) all seem to have different scenery in mind (which is cool - more variation on th etables), so I doubt that they'll qualify for the volume discount

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 12:35:39 AM »
Yep, the biggest problem with ordering from outside the EU is the customs charges and import taxes/VAT.

That's why I wanted to find a European vendor - the guys (and a gal) all seem to have different scenery in mind (which is cool - more variation on th etables), so I doubt that they'll qualify for the volume discount

We did a "club order" of a mixed batch of molds about two years ago, the volume discount is on any combination of molds so if you're ordering a batch you should get the discount.

They're not cheap, but the quality is excellent and provided you've got the time and working space to cast, they're great for scenery building!

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 05:32:53 PM »
I was just looking at Bruce's international shipping rates and it seems to me that if you order 15 for the group, you will still get part of the discount.  Here is the math:
Regular molds are priced at $34.00 US.
If you order the minimum 15 molds for the twenty percent discount it will cost $408(us).  That is taking into account the $102 (us) discount.  For his international shipping it will cost another $48.00.
For the distributors overseas the average price is 29.33 (uk).  For the same 15 molds it will be 439.95 (uk) without shipping.  That is $681.92 (us). 
In Euros that is 350.18 for a full US order including postage, compared to the European distributor at 523.74 Euros before postage.
What you will be paying for from the European distributor is the speed of the shipment.  If you need it now the European distributor is the way to go.  If you are willing to wait you can save about 170 Euros.  My two cents on this subject.   
Snitchy sends. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline markiemark

• Librarian
    • Tabletop-buildings.com
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 11:11:40 AM »
hi,

here in the netherlands we have www.tabletop-buildings.nl

they don't sell the molds, but complete ruines, buildings and bridges....
they even have a complete set of ruined buildings named Nordheim....

regards,
mark

Offline Scout_II

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 03:14:38 AM »
@ snitcythedog

Would that it was so simple.  On an order like that they would get hit with a VAT charge and quite likely a VAT collection fee of some form.  If that fee ends up being the normal VAT charge (20% or whatever insane number the EU has placed on things).  So - yah, there is that too.  Still a chance that the direct order will be cheaper - however it isn't quite a simple comparison (especially if they decide that they should apply a fee per package and the order is split into three or four packages due to size).

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 03:50:48 AM »
20% or whatever insane number the EU has placed on things
The Vat unfortunately is what it is.  We get hit with customs here periodically too.  But it is hit and miss.  I was just doing a cost comparison of the information that I could find.   
Snitchy sends.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 02:33:03 PM »
Argonor, it might be worth approaching Hirst Arts UK directly and asking their advice. I am certain it's run by a guy called Andy who (used to?) run Terragenesis and he's about as good a guy as you get in this hobby (I'm sure Froggy the Great would back me up on this too, Terragenesis was where we first ran into each other).

If it is him, I've known him refuse to sell people moulds because sometimes it is cheaper to order them direct from the States. If your order would be cheaper direct, I'm sure he'd tell you.

Actually, having looked at the site, it says on the front page that there's a point where it's cheaper to order them direct from the US. And the design looks like Andy's work too - I'm sure it is him.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 10:01:10 AM »
Thanks, everybody - advice has been forwarded  :)

Offline Willypold

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 09:50:27 PM »
I usually order about 3 or 4 molds at the time, and so far I've never been hit with any customs or VAT, and I order directly from Hirst himself - I don't know if the Swedish customs are more lax than the Danish, or if it's the fact that I only order few molds at the time.