Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:24:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690774
  • Total Topics: 118349
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: British Central Africa (Pic Heavy)  (Read 7240 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: British Central Africa (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 07:34:31 PM »
Do you have an original copy or a facsimile? I'm hesitant to get the latter.

I don't actually own a copy. Modern editions of books like this tend to be just the text, which is not my preferred way of reading them (especially with a book with this many quality images), and I wouldn't know where to get an original. But the whole book is on line HERE (I believe it is in the public domain by now) and that's where I half-inched the pictures from. God bless those Canadian librarians.

Great post overall, but I love the Sikh officer figure, where's he from? (I mean the manufacturer - please don't say "The Punjab" lol)

Redoubt American Civil War Zouave officer with some of the fancy lacework removed from his jacket, and with a Foundry Sikh head plonked on top. He comes without a head (you're supposed to pick a suitable Civil War one from a bunch of options) so he's almost perfect for converting. I've got a sprue of Perry plastic Zouaves waiting in the wings for him to boss about when I get around to it. He was really just a trial run, but I think he came out okay. Think I will give him some Sgt. Major stripes when I do his lads, though. That will finish him off nicely.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:36:45 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 07:42:39 PM »
Thank you for the link, what a great resource.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 01:36:51 PM »
A bit disappointed, I was hoping you'd discovered a new source of Sikhs - lovely conversion job though.

Agree that there is some fantastic online resource material out there - I've picked up the equivalent of many thousands of pounds worth of books from the online libraries that I simply would never have gotten access to any other way.

Offline KevinH

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 04:26:59 PM »
Some lovely source material there, thanks.

Especially like the Sikh stuff.

Offline aecurtis

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 05:56:49 PM »
"One for the hobbits and stoners among us."

Or for the Bena Riamba, which is a rather jolly force to play in ItHoA; pity it didn't cross over to DitDC.

Fabian (who points out that the Bena Riamba, or Bene Diamba, go in for ritual nudity, which must surely add to their appeal!) is a good recent commentator.  He relies extensively on Wissmann, but his study may still be worth considering:

http://books.google.com/books/about/Out_of_our_minds.html?id=Gmw9OdaFyIcC

From the publisher: 'Explorers and ethnographers in Africa during the period of colonial expansion are usually assumed to have been guided by rational aims such as the desire for scientific knowledge, fame, or financial gain. This book, the culmination of many years of research on nineteenth-century exploration in Central Africa, provides a new view of those early European explorers and their encounters with Africans. "Out of Our Minds" shows explorers were far from rational--often meeting their hosts in extraordinary states influenced by opiates, alcohol, sex, fever, fatigue, and violence.'

What's not to like?

Allen
What fresh hell is this?

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 05:12:20 PM »
"One for the hobbits and stoners among us."

Or for the Bena Riamba, which is a rather jolly force to play in ItHoA; pity it didn't cross over to DitDC.

Fabian (who points out that the Bena Riamba, or Bene Diamba, go in for ritual nudity, which must surely add to their appeal!) is a good recent commentator.  He relies extensively on Wissmann, but his study may still be worth considering:

http://books.google.com/books/about/Out_of_our_minds.html?id=Gmw9OdaFyIcC

From the publisher: 'Explorers and ethnographers in Africa during the period of colonial expansion are usually assumed to have been guided by rational aims such as the desire for scientific knowledge, fame, or financial gain. This book, the culmination of many years of research on nineteenth-century exploration in Central Africa, provides a new view of those early European explorers and their encounters with Africans. "Out of Our Minds" shows explorers were far from rational--often meeting their hosts in extraordinary states influenced by opiates, alcohol, sex, fever, fatigue, and violence.'

What's not to like?

Allen

Well said......
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.