Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:10:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690887
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Red Dawn anyone?  (Read 2497 times)

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
Red Dawn anyone?
« on: December 19, 2011, 07:08:33 AM »
has anyone tried to make some Wolverine characters from the classic movie Red Dawn? I know there are plenty of Cold War Russians out there and I think the movie would lend it self well to some fun games.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Red Dawn anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 09:11:16 AM »
Funny, that...

I was pondering about the same setting just this weekend, but more from a cinematic angle; I'm convinced that the upcoming remake will provide much suction. The original eighties propaganda movie was a child of its time, with all its flaws of the day, but even though it's pretty much wrong all over, it sure was a cool ride...

And doing this on the table would make for one excellent skirmish setting, lending itself really well for a protracted campaign too.

But like most, I've got enough projects running to last me two invasions, so I won't be doing this any time soon. But I'm interested to see what other people will come up with... :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 11:52:11 AM »
Ah Red Dawn, an Eighties classic, definitely in my favourite movie top ten. If you wanted to do it in 28mm, vehicles might be a bit thin on the ground, but for figures how about these:
http://newlinedesigns.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=481

I'll bet you could put together some Wolverines outta these guys, certainly the Pakistani Infantry would make pretty good Cubans.

It would probably be very doable in 2omm, but would it look as good?
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline Huascar

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 12:02:06 PM »
Red Dawn made a huge impression on me as a child of the 80s and I have often thought about doing some wargaming based on the movie, but I too have struggled to find good wolverine figures - particularly for the girls.

In 28mm Cooplestone's neo-soviet resistance fighters look pretty close, and one figure is a dead-ringer for Robert, but the non-perod guns put me off. Love to hear any suggestions for figures.

Peter

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 04:10:24 PM »
I've thought about it too, and come to the same conclusions as Peter.  The Copplestone resistance fighters would work.  Weapon swaps would be necessary to be 100% accurate, but I'm not sure I would bother if I ever actually did it.

I seem to remember that someone made an armed female figure in a heavy coat not too long ago (a sort of investigator type), that's about the closest I can think of for the girls.  Armed teenage girls in down parkas are not common in 28mm...

EDIT:

The Fenris APEX investigators are the ones I was thinking of for the girls.  At least they are female and have winter coats:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=33320.0
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 04:14:12 PM by Cosmotiger »

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 05:19:01 PM »
Long ago we took a stab at resisting the godless commies with the old Price of Freedom RPG and later with Challenger 2000. Both times we used HO scale buildings and vehicles because they were readily available along with Airfix 1/72 miniatures and sometimes even the Promise City map from Boot Hill.

Our games didn't look to good back then, but we were getting in 20 to thirty hours of gaming every week.

Offline Hildred Castaigne

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 12:52:49 AM »
I think the premise of America being invaded by the Soviet Union, Cuba and Nicaragua (I'm almost certain they were in the movie too...) sounds great for a game, I've been threatening to start for a while.
But I have some American style buildings done for it (any excuse to make some buildings).
But I'd swap out the Wolverines for a group along the lines of the Michigan Militia.
To me they would present a more credible threat to the invaders than a handful of Scots who used to go hunting with their dads, but maybe that's just me.  lol
That said, were militia groups around during the 1980s?
For Cubans you'd want these fellows, I can vouch for how nice these figures are
http://newlinedesigns.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=481_496
Then for resistance I'd use Mongrels SAS. Lots of moustaches and Armalites in those sets, lovely figures too.
http://newlinedesigns.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=481_486&products_id=6582
http://newlinedesigns.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=481_486&products_id=6583
Throw in a few figures from the 10th company set for guys carrying captured Russian kit
http://newlinedesigns.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=481_487&products_id=6714
http://newlinedesigns.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=481_487&products_id=6715
I hope of all that waffle is of some help to you!

Offline Huascar

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 11:56:51 AM »
Found the following on the Hmgs Cold Wars website today:

"F-131 - Wolverines!

Fri. 10:00 AM, 4 hrs, 7 players

GM: Peter English

Modern 28mm, Rules: Force on Force

The Soviet Union has launched a surprise attack upon the United States, attempting to seize key transport locations to continue the offensive. One of these is the critical road hub of Calumet City. Only mixed formations of National Guard and civilian volunteers stand in the path of the onrushing Soviet juggernaut. You know the movie, play the game."

Anyone know Peter English by chance?

Peter W

Offline basaint

• Scientist
  • Gamer, creator...In AZ
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 09:54:23 PM »
The Patriotic high school movie of our youth (well some of us). 
Not sure if anyone saw the Aussie/NZ version...UGH!  The snail outside the window was faster than its plot...