Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:57:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690591
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Dunwich horror  (Read 4483 times)

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
A Dunwich horror
« on: December 30, 2011, 12:20:13 AM »
I started sculpting this a while back, after being inspired by Tengu's "Son of Yog Sothoth". Ended up shelving it for a while when I got hung up with a case of the "where do I go from here"s (I was kinda making it up as I went along, instead of having a sketch or a clear image in my head), but I've now picked it back up and am looking to finish it.

Sorry for the graininess of the pics: I forgot to change the ISO setting on my camera before I started shooting. I should've put something in the photos for scale. Just for reference, the arm is in scale with that of a 28mm figure. Only a start really, I want the whole thing to be maybe the size of a tennis ball or racquet ball when done, which means lots more body sections and appendages. Material is a 50/50 mix of Green Stuff and Aves.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:40:53 PM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
Re: A Dunwitch horror
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 12:22:51 AM »
I like it! So far it's looking like one to watch!
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 12:32:08 AM »
yucky!

That little arm is extra creapy!
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 10:51:58 AM »
I think that works well as it is - do be careful not to lose its creepy protoplasmic simplicity.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline inkydave

• Mad Scientist
  • Usuthu
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 10:54:55 AM »
Wonderfully gross :D
Minima maxima sunt

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 04:09:30 PM »
Looks promising, but it's "Dunwich", you barbarian!  ;)
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 10:01:04 PM »
That looks great as it is. Not sure I'd add anything to it. Really nice :)

btw how big is it?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 10:03:18 PM by blackstone »

Offline graff von bek

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 10:20:26 PM »
 hi thats nice- i want one lol

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 10:42:44 PM »
Nice miniature, that’s what I call excoriating pain.

Offline inkydave

• Mad Scientist
  • Usuthu
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 11:15:34 PM »
Nice miniature, that’s what I call excoriating pain.

Oh yeah, utterly tormented. Looks like either "the scream" or that teacher geezer from PFs "the wall".

Offline TheBlueShoggoth

• Librarian
    • Outside The Universe Iteself
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 09:12:46 PM »
Oooo nice, it reminds me a bit of carpenters The Thing too, which is always a positive :)
Primevel Abyssian - A WIP wargame about alien races in an artificial universe :
http://outsidetheuniverseitself.blogspot.com/
inspired by Olaf Stapledon and Robert L Forward ect

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 12:54:56 AM »
Thumbs up on originality.
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 05:22:41 PM »
Looks like it could fit in a game of The Thing as well :)

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
Re: A Dunwich horror
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 11:46:59 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement. Sorry I haven't posted updates yet: I've been too busy to work on minis lately.

The comparisons the "The Thing" were flattering. That's probably my all time favorite horror film.

@ Jnr & Inkydave: I imagine him(?) as being only half way in control of himself/his body, and probably experiencing... not pain exactly, but a kind of constant physical frustration at being unable to move or function the way either his human or Yog Sothian instincts/reflexes tell him he should, due to his deformity. And his mind is as badly recombined as his body, so his actions are simultaneously wholly deliberate and "along for the ride" at the same time. Kind of like someone with a severed corpus callosum. Although he's technically much more vital to The Plan than his brother Wilbur, he's treated more like a tool: fed and kept in good health, but not given/allowed the education, attention, or stimulation that Wilbur is. So he is a very sad, tormented creature, despite being a people eating/squishing abomination that wholeheartedly believes in his own dark purpose.

The teacher from "The Wall" is an interesting comparison. I can kind of see that, though I think it looks kind of like Bob Clendenin:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0003928/
Who IMO would make a fantastic Wilbur Whateley, despite being known mostly for comedy roles.

@ Onebigriver: Thanks. Fixed. ;)

@ Steve F & Blackstone: well, notice you're only seeing it from a very narrow, specific set of angles ;). It's definitely not finished, though I was/am kinda fishing for ideas, so the "protoplasmic simplicity" thing is something I'll keep in mind.

@ Blackstone: Currently it's around 30mm tall all together. The arm is the size of a 28mm figure's arm, and the face is about the size of a 90 or 100mm figure's face. Next update I'll include a comparison shot with a 28mm figure (I really should have done that the first time). Also, your own sculpt of the same subject is what inspired me to start this, so my hat's off to you, and I'm happy you like it so far.

Also, just to get this out there ahead: with me, criticisms are always encouraged. Never ever ever feel like you have to play nice just 'cause I'm a friend. That's geek fallacy #2: http://www.plausiblydeniable.com/opinion/gsf.html . If something looks off, I wanna know. Yummy as compliments are, criticism is the only way to grow and improve one's skills. Even if it's only a creative opinion thing: who knows, I might actually like your idea better than my own.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:56:57 PM by Connectamabob »