Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:10:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Assistance with Zombie Terrain board and gaming  (Read 14316 times)

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
Re: Assistance with Zombie Terrain board and gaming
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2012, 04:44:51 AM »
What are some cheaper alternatives to GW products such as paints and glues, Commander Vyper and Luckyjoe what paints and glues did you guys use for your miniatures and such.

Offline Luckyjoe

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 01:51:26 PM »
I have used cheap craft paints and still do sometimes. Now I am mainly using Reaper Master series, GW foundation, or Model Master acrylics for the minis. The reason I switched to the more expensive paints was that sometimes I was having to do 3 or evn 4 coats of the craft paint to get coverage. The GW Foundation paints seem to the job done in 1 coat.

And as far as Zombies, I stole a page from CDR Vyper's thread wherein he (or someone else, can't exactly remember ATM) mixed the WarGames Factory legs with Mantic Zombies and heads. I think the hybrids look pretty good.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2012, 03:15:46 PM »
i) Same paints I use for everything, mixture of citadel colour paint inks glazes and washes (original sets) GW paints, inks and washes & VJ paints. Wonder wash on occasion too.

ii) Yup I did the kitbash, only good use for the WGF zombies as bits to be honest.

iii) Glue???? Superglue for most conversions.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 03:18:06 PM by Commander Vyper »
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 10:10:49 AM »
you guys have all been a greatest help i just the last question, how would i go about taking a picture of the design of my zombie board to put on my soon to be Bubbles zombie board thread. the design is actually on the mdf board if that makes any difference.

Offline Eldorf.Dragonsbane

• Librarian
  • Zombie Game Fan
    • Doug's Land of the Dead
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 07:36:11 PM »
For me the paints I prefer to use were the Reaper Pro Paints (.75 oz pots), locally they were a couple pennies less then the GW Citadel paints (.4 oz pots) and the Privateer Press P3 paint (.5 oz pots). Unfortunately Reaper have phased the Pro Paints line out so I will probably be looking at their Master Series paints, which I do have a couple of. I also use a couple of the Plaid craft paints (Apple barrel Colors and Folk Art paints) fore some select colors. In addition I do have some of the newer style pots of GW paints and some P3 paints.

Though I have been looking at the Vellejo Game Color Series of paints, and have heard great things about them. I may invest in a couple bottles of them if I can find them locally, if not I may break down and order some online.

Now every one who does zombie gaming seems to have their preferred Zombie flesh color, for me it is the now out of production Reaper Pro Paints Ghoul Grey, though I am thinking of trying some of the colors in the Reaper Master Series Undead Flesh triad (Bloodless Skin, Moldy Skin and Ghoul Skin) since I have only a partial pot of Ghoul Grey left. There are others who paint the zombie skin a flesh tone with a drop of grey, blue or green in it to give it an unhealthy coloring, where as others paint it with a flesh tone and then drybrush/highlight the skin with a grey, green or blue.

Now miniature wise I get what I can, Reaper Chronoscope (Survivors mostly), Zombiesmith (Zombies), Victory Force (Zombies, though have been looking at some of their other figures to use as survivors), Hasslefree (Survivors, do want to get their zombies though), eM4 (survivors), Mantic (Ghouls for use as ATZ Ragers), Hero/Horrorclix (survivors and zombies), and a couple of other miscellaneous manufacturers. The nice thing about modern day (Zombie and non Zombie) gaming is that more and more companies are releasing figures we can use, plus with some slight work you can even use Sci-Fi figures (I use the GW Catachan Jungle Squad figures with the "skulls" removed from the weapons and canteens as a Special Force unit, a Mercenary Unit, or even a Militia unit in my ATZ games).

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 07:41:35 PM »
you guys have all been a greatest help i just the last question, how would i go about taking a picture of the design of my zombie board to put on my soon to be Bubbles zombie board thread. the design is actually on the mdf board if that makes any difference.

Digital camera and a photobucket account mate, then copy the [img ][/img ] link direct from your photobucket, bucket and paste into your thread post...simples!

;)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 08:15:41 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline Eldorf.Dragonsbane

• Librarian
  • Zombie Game Fan
    • Doug's Land of the Dead
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 04:21:03 AM »
As Commander Vyper said for pics a Digital Camera and an Photobucket account are needed for the pics. Though you don't have to use photobucket, you can use Flickr, Google Picasa, or one of the many other image hosting sites.

Now as for the Camera a simple point and shoot digital or cell phone camera will work or you can get fancy and use a Digital SLR with a macro lens, if you  have a camera you can put on a tripod and has a timer function that's even better, even better if you can attach a trigger release/remote (the trigger release/remote feature is typically found on your DSLRs and not point and shoots). The tripod will provide you with nice stable (not shaky) shots IIRC over in the Workbench area there's a good thread on photographing minis. The key thing is to remember that you want plenty of lighting so you can see the details that may get lost in the shadows.

Heres one of the threads in the Workbench How-To section on taking photos http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=6052.0 There are a couple of others there too.  Best thing to do is if you are unsure on getting the pics to look good is ask, and of course practice.