Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 04:43:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697703
  • Total Topics: 118854
  • Online Today: 620
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Most likely new book for SA?  (Read 2599 times)

Offline mdomino

• Librarian
Most likely new book for SA?
« on: January 10, 2012, 03:04:19 PM »
What is in the works for SA in the near future- Morbid Adventures, Madness #3, or VUK? All at the same time please! Just give me more....
Mike D

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
Re: Most likely new book for SA?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 05:32:30 PM »
You've got the right order there, though I anticipate Shocking Tales #4 will also likely appear prior to Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten.  What we can't state for certain right now is the timing of each.

Morbid Adventures has thrown our schedule for a bit of a loop by growing itself a few extra appendages and muscling its way to the front.  We'd intended it to be a fairly small compilation of new scenarios, but through development it grew into something rather more substantial.  Truthfully, something that we think will revolutionize the game.  As it looks now, the book will weigh in at around 60 pages and feature new basic scenarios along with variants for the existing ones, a raft of new quest scenarios (doubling the current selection) and some really fun new mechanics.  Take a look at the free holiday scenario again and ask yourself, just what is a Black Mark?  ???

Mike and I will be meeting tomorrow to discuss the state of the book (we're corralling art now, and have a few scenarios yet to write), and will hopefully be able to enlighten you a bit more about a potential release date.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 06:00:20 PM »
@Lidless Eye that sounds very interesting, may be the single most anticipated Strange Aeons release for me  to date :)

Offline zobo1942

• Librarian
    • Innsmouth Looks
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 09:54:22 PM »
I'm really excited about this!

However, I've also been really interested in VUK - there seems to be a lot of fun potential there!

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 09:47:01 PM »
After a thorough discussion, here's where we stand:
  • The book actually looks to be just over 40 pages now.  The prior estimate was based on the inclusion of a lot of superfluous material, which we've trimmed out.
  • Most of the material is written, so it's mainly playtesting left to do.
  • We want to have the book in stock for our appearance at the Calgary Comic Con, which is at the end of April this year.  With any luck, it'll be available sooner than that.
  • A pre-order offer is likely, possibly beginning in March, but we have yet to sort out the details.

As for other future projects, Shocking Tales #3 remains on tap for this fall.  Once we have that squared away, we'll likely shift gears towards further development and testing of VUK.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 02:31:49 PM »
Working on the content for M.A. and I'm quite excited. Shaping up to be a great expansion for Strange Aeons!

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 10:36:51 PM »
Update: The book look to be just over 50 pages now...it grows and expands! Ia!

Offline Ssendam

• Scientist
    • Ssendam's Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 12:27:13 PM »
Update: The book look to be just over 50 pages now...it grows and expands! Ia!

It must be all the human sacrifices your giving it ... I really hope it comes with a tenticle cover, that would be awesome :)
"I've been a soldier for 12 years - it's my profession.  But if a soldier doesn't want peace in his soul then he's not a soldier any more - he's a killer.  A soldier fights for peace." Nadia Savchenko

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 02:05:58 PM »
No tentacles I'm afraid...although the cover is painted by none other than the fabulously talented Bob Murch! Ia! Ia!

Offline Meizter

• Bookworm
    • Gentlemen Wargamers
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 06:35:29 AM »
Sounds really cool, I'm seriously looking forward to the release  :)
My miniature and wargaming blog: Gentlemen Wargamers

Offline mdomino

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 02:32:06 PM »
Not asking for any spoilers in Morbid adventures, but two things I'm wondering- will there be any new weapons in the book, and will there be a new Black Dossier? I can imagine a few good scenarios for a new dossier- Innsmouth, Mountains of Madness, Vermont hills after the great floods, etc.
Mike D

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 05:23:16 PM »
You won't see any new weapons or Black Dossiers until Shocking Tales #3.  Morbid Adventures isn't going to be anything like our previous expansions.  Look at it more as a companion to the main rulebook, with a vastly expanded selection of scenarios.  We've also been adapting it into a reference tome, to the point where it's probably the only book a really experienced player will need to have on the table during the game (unless you're playing a Black Dossier or trying to find the rules for horses).

As for your dossier ideas, while you won't see Innsmouth, Antarctica or the Akeley farm in ST#3, they're all on our development schedule.  Rather than trying to re-create Lovecraft's stories directly, what we've been imagining are sort of sequels or prequels, where Threshold finds themselves in the same place at a different time.