Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:16:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690726
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 705
Total: 710

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm African Wars Portuguese  (Read 34237 times)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: 28mm African Wars Portuguese
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2012, 01:03:49 AM »
IIRC.... wasn't there a group of Colonial Portuguese who fought for the FNLA against the MPLA immediately post-cease fire and before Callan and his ilk? They'd likely be usable straight off in a mix of camos and plain fatigues in a mixed race unit.

:?

Offline Kingscarbine

• Mad Scientist
  • Bayonets... Level!
    • Kingscarbine Miniatures
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2012, 08:43:45 AM »
Just received mine, nice looking figures will fit in with Mongrel and Stan Johansen without a problem. A bit lighter than TAG.
But while I really like the figures I have no desire to do the Portuguese war, what else could I use these as besides mercs?
South Afrikaans, Rhodesians? I was considering calling my Syrians Cubans and have them battle in Angola   

You could use them for SADF 32BAT or Matabeleland Native Police (http://www.freewebs.com/dudleywall/intafweapons.htm) with headswaps. Iranians are also an easy conversion.

Offline Kingscarbine

• Mad Scientist
  • Bayonets... Level!
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2012, 08:59:03 AM »
IIRC.... wasn't there a group of Colonial Portuguese who fought for the FNLA against the MPLA immediately post-cease fire and before Callan and his ilk? They'd likely be usable straight off in a mix of camos and plain fatigues in a mixed race unit.

:?

Yes. They were 70 ex-Comandos lead by Lt. Col. Santos e Castro  and Major Alves Cardoso.

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2012, 12:25:54 PM »
I just put the first round of paint on these, I sure hope Eureka make a second pack of these I'll certainly buy more.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2012, 03:25:34 PM »
The new Eureka Alouette helicopter is ideal for this period. Same guns, slightly different arrangement for the ammo feed on the gunship version. There's some prospect Kosta may do Portuguese crew.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2012, 02:09:32 PM »
Yes. They were 70 ex-Comandos lead by Lt. Col. Santos e Castro  and Major Alves Cardoso.

Obrigado!  :)

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2012, 10:13:45 PM »
Yeah I need some more of these, the next set I will change their heads over to an American M1 helmet. What to do with the bazooka guy, I might try to turn it into a mortar tube.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2012, 12:49:06 AM »
Yeah I need some more of these, the next set I will change their heads over to an American M1 helmet. What to do with the bazooka guy, I might try to turn it into a mortar tube.

Because of the pose, it's easy to cut away and replace. 60mm mortar, Super-bazooka and an MG-3 are my current three conversion projects.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2012, 10:02:17 AM »
All you ever wanted to know about headwear in the Guerra Colonial:

http://ultramar.terraweb.biz/Livros/JornaldoExercito/Coberturas_JE602Jan_607Jun2011.pdf

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2012, 11:09:50 PM »
I have decided to use these for my Zambezi army instead of Mongrel BOAR it will be a lot easier to do head swaps on Eurekas figures.

Offline Super Mosca

• Bookworm
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2012, 12:40:46 PM »
 I've been following this thread with interest, and would like to expand the Portuguese with a few more figures before the year is out.

When Carlos first suggested then pushed for this range I was happy to run with it since I already had an interest in 20th century southern African wars, and plus it seemed a natural complement to the Rhodesians and African Nationalist guerillas that Nic and I had already produced.

So, extra weapons that need to be added are:
Uzi (officer)
MG3 firing or on patrol

Troop types, I'm thinking:
Beret wearing soldiers
Black African Angolans in Portuguese service

So what do you guys think?

-Kosta
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:45:38 PM by Super Mosca »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2012, 01:08:56 PM »
1)Paras: Folding stock version of the G-3 and paratrooper boots. Headwear per current types although late in the war you see some in floppy bush hats. Alternatively, AR-10 armed paras.

2) Beret wearing troops, ideally including a bearded figure (Fuzileiros)

3)Some seated figures to kit out the Alouette and also to crew vehicles, the Eureka Zodiac etc.

4) Dragões de Angola. Mounted Portuguese. You could use the same horses and dollies as the Grey's Scouts. Does need a folding stock G-3.

Weapons?

1)MG-42

2) 60mm Morteirete although strictly speaking this is a very easy conversion and probably not necessary.

3) Breda MG. You see a lot of these fitting out trucks, jeeps and scout cars. They were also retained for base defence.

4) I'd rather see the FBP submachine gun than the Uzi because it's more distinctively Portuguese but I'd be happy with either.

African troops would also be very welcome.

Actually, on the subject of African troops it would be really nice to see some more insurgents, some armed with SKS carbines, PPSH submachineguns and some crew figures for the 82mm mortar. I suspect a Chinese RCL and crew would be pushing it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:16:54 PM by carlos marighela »

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2012, 01:53:54 PM »
I would most definitely be interested in pre AK-47 African troops  as most of my gaming is in the 1960s

[African troops would also be very welcome.
Actually, on the subject of African troops it would be really nice to see some more insurgents, some armed with the SKS carbines, PPSH submachineguns and some crew figures for the 82mm mortar. I suspect a Chinese RCL and crew would be pushing it.]

Offline Kingscarbine

• Mad Scientist
  • Bayonets... Level!
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2012, 03:20:12 PM »
Hi Kosta,

Welcome to the forum. It's great to have you here for some direct feedback.

What Carlos M. listed plus I would add Paratroopers and African Commandos with AKs, RPDs and RPGs; heads with assorted headgear for conversions; UZIs are OK for the really early period in Angola, Paramilitary and Police units but I would skip it for officers; M20A1 bazooka; African Auxiliaries/Militia w/ Kar98; Civilians; "Turras" with WW2 German and Soviet weapons... That's about it.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2012, 07:33:46 PM »
Yes, nice to see you here Kosta and well done on the figures. Carlos and the rest of the guys have pretty much covered what I'd be looking for, especially the pre-AK47 weapons. My main interest is Southern Africa, particularly Angola, from colonyl to civil war, so stick with that and I'm in. Rhodesia's good too of course, so it's all good.

I'm probably one amongst a few others, who have been waiting for further releases before committing, so news that there are more releases in the pipeline is very welcome!

:)