Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 05:38:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696690
  • Total Topics: 118781
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Star Trek Tactics  (Read 9064 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Star Trek Tactics
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2012, 12:00:20 PM »
I have a huge collection of Micro-Machines that will fit the bill if all you need are the rules.  :D 

Is scale important in a game where, theoretically, ships are 100s or 1000s of miles apart?  ???
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2012, 11:12:17 PM »
It is to me. I dont like to be to pedantic over scale in a space game, but i like ships to look in context with one another-a frigate looks smnaller than a cruiser, both are smaller than a battleship. Pedantry again, but otherwise doesnt the whoe thing lurch more toward boargame than miniature wargame?

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2012, 11:19:38 PM »
That is true, but then this is fantasy.  If the Defiant, for example, were to scale it would be tiny, but in ST it is a dangerous vessel. In naval terms, Enterprise was a cruiser, only just in the realms of the big ships, but would have been swatted by a battleship. 

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2012, 03:40:44 AM »
Scale's actually a secondary concern for me. I mean, it's important to me too, but what I was getting at was actually the chunky, inaccurate, and oversimplified detail.

FASA did much better a quarter of a century ago, and Micro Machines proved it could be done better in plastic fifteen years ago. I kinda feel like there's no excuse for how bad these look.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2012, 07:33:12 AM »
Ah! Now I see your point.  Haven't seen these ships, but, as I said, minded to buy the boxed set for the rules then look at the ships.  I have a load of the MM ones, many of the Federation renamed by hand, and could make Klingon or Federation fleets easily................

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2012, 10:58:46 AM »
I wonder how much work it would take to DIY as set of clix bases. Nothing too fancy, just something that I could base a third party mini on so I wouldn't have to go buying and trashing official minis just for the bases.

FASA and Micro Machines might require some Indiana Jonesing to get a hold of (and Micro Machines do have that scale issue). Maybe it's time to have another look at Shapeways, see if their materials and print resolution have improved.

I seem to remember a few years back there were a couple garage kit outfits dedicated to unofficially expanding the Micro Machine line in resin. Wonder if they're still around.

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2012, 07:21:30 PM »
Got to play one game last thursday night.  I lost, but was ok with that. Probability Control on the USS Rhode Island is a bitch to play against.

The cool part is that with the reduction in Attack values and Damage in this set, things like Eneregy Explosion, Enhancement, and Incapacitate become much more useful.

I'm looking forward to our tournament on Thurs. The Warship Voyager LE is up for grabs.
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2012, 09:41:55 AM »
I've never player heroclix; what is the rule set like? Is it complicated or easy to pick up? Is play tediously slow or nice and fast?

Cheers
Andy

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2012, 06:05:12 PM »
I've never player heroclix; what is the rule set like? Is it complicated or easy to pick up? Is play tediously slow or nice and fast?

Clix rules aren't that difficult.
They all rely on the principle that for each point of damage that gets through you turn the base dial 1 click. If the new result isn't KO/killed you're still in the game.
You can download the rules from their site :
http://heroclix.com/category/heroclix/star-trek-tactics/
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2012, 07:32:20 AM »
So tonight we played a 300 point tournament at my local brick & mortar store, The Launch Pad.

Lost all three games.  Yeah, I'm a fanboy who is more in love with his ships than he is with smart tactics!  :o

But, with the asteroid remnants of the Klingon moon Praxis, or the Borg Trans Warp tunnels, as maps, we had a blast!!!