Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:44:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690457
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Brides of Dracula  (Read 7482 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Brides of Dracula
« on: January 03, 2008, 03:13:01 AM »
Hey all,

I'm looking for some good suggestions for Dracula's 'brides'. I see folks raving in the concubine thread, but can't seem to view any pictures.

Any suggestions?

Also, anyone have the Vampire Rock Stars from the Old Glory Vampire War line? No pictures there either...

Thanks!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Brides of Dracula
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 08:28:45 AM »
Try Westwind Productions - they have an extensive Vampire wars range which includes female vampires, although some are armed with swords and knives.
http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=2_19

If you can find them Ral Partha did some beautiful Vampires in their Ravenloft range many years ago. Check out my Dracula chapter 3 here for photos of them:
http://forum.backofbeyond.de/viewtopic.php?t=3582
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
Brides of Dracula
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 01:14:52 PM »
Wow, thanks for the link!
lot's of good options here.

You don't happen to know where to pick up Ravens, owls, or other birds suitable for gothic terrain, do you?

Also, looking at your Dracula Chapters. Outstanding! Do you prime your minis black and highlight, or are you blacklining the models?

Thanks again!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Brides of Dracula
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 02:16:55 PM »
Quote from: "Jack Hooligan"

You don't happen to know where to pick up Ravens, owls, or other birds suitable for gothic terrain, do you?

Also, looking at your Dracula Chapters. Outstanding! Do you prime your minis black and highlight, or are you blacklining the models?

Thanks again!

Not too sure about the animals, but Reaper Miniatures have a number of birds and such like in their Dark Havens section. You might even find some more Vampires as well.

I am old school and use a white undercoat and build up from there. There is no blacklining, its just successive coats of paint. Using the flash etc when taking the photos sometimes makes it appear that they are painted that way. :)

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Brides of Dracula
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 03:42:09 PM »
There's a boxed set of Ravenloft figures on E-Bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260199573473&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

Crocodile games does a nice pair of ravens sitting on branch in their Aegyptus line

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Brides of Dracula
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 04:04:40 PM »
Quote from: "Skrapwelder"
There's a boxed set of Ravenloft figures on E-Bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260199573473&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

Crocodile games does a nice pair of ravens sitting on branch in their Aegyptus line

That is a good set to get hold of. :)
 The Vampiress is very similar to one of the ones featured in my photo story and makes a perfect bride.
The Vampire Count figure is a classic too. Here he is:

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
Brides of Dracula
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 04:10:32 PM »
Good find!

Malamute, so you aren't blacklining. On your vampire, did you go with a base of grey for the flesh knowing that you would go to lighter colors as you went up on detail. I like the look your models have. They seem to pop the details at arms length and look simple to do.  Not discrediting your talent, but simple as in easier than what I've been trying to attempt.

Thanks again!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Brides of Dracula
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 04:54:52 PM »
Good find!

Malamute, so you aren't blacklining. On your vampire, did you go with a base of grey for the flesh knowing that you would go to lighter colors as you went up on detail. I like the look your models have. They seem to pop the details at arms length and look simple to do.  Not discrediting your talent, but simple as in easier than what I've been trying to attempt.

Thanks again!

Thanks :)  Its grey with a hint of green thrown in for that ghoulish look, worked up through a rotting flesh colour to an almost white highlight.

I work with the three colour system. I favour undercoating in white rather than black because I prefer the finish, I always think with black undercoat you get a much duller effect on bright colours. My basecoat is quite dark and then the middle coat will be the primary colour you see with a highlight to pick out the detail. I hope that makes sense. :)

One think to point out, if the three colours are too close in terms of shade then you do not get the distinct difference in layers. This is sometimes a problem with  the Foundry three colour paints. Some of them are hard to tell apart, particularly the blues and reds.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Brides of Dracula
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 05:29:48 PM »
The old Metal Magic range had some gothic female vampires in night gowns, too. But they are 25 mm as opposed to 28 mm (or very petite 28 mm)....
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Brides of Dracula
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 05:49:27 PM »
Foundry used to do a figure based on this painting:

... called Birth of a Vampire. Would make a pretty good bride of Dracula. Might be able to find it on eBay.

In fact, I just started painting mine today. Not sure why I'm painting it, as I'm not a horror gamer. Just felt like it. Perhaps it's because she's got her puppies out.

If it turns out okay I'll post a pic. If it doesn't then I'll delete this post and deny any knowledge of ever typing it.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Brides of Dracula
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 09:56:56 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"

In fact, I just started painting mine today. Not sure why I'm painting it, as I'm not a horror gamer. Just felt like it. Perhaps it's because she's got her puppies out..........

I don't know why I'm not surprised by that statement  :lol:

I haven't heard them called that for quite a while  :lol:

Dodge

Offline tbroadwater

• Librarian
Brides of Dracula
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 02:38:46 PM »
Jack I adopt a similar style to Malamute.

Although I use black primer mostly and only use white for miniatures where the dominant color is white/yellow/red/orange/tan. Anything in that range.

I then base coat all parts in the color I want, shadow it with ink and paint combined (to reduce gloss and aid in flow) then go over with my base color then begin adding a highlight color.

I tend to do 3-4 highlight layers and use bone colors to lighten my base rather than white. Sometimes it helps them appear more natural.

Let me know if you want specific images...

Also to anyone who has not tried the foundation paint range, it is impressive when it comes to getting a solid single coat base over black primer. (you can do yellow over black; red over black!!!) amazing...

My main weakness is the blending though, tried here and there but not there yet.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Brides of Dracula
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 02:47:32 PM »
Quote from: Malamute

Check out Corcodile games, they make these excellent ravens:

..which are actually sold separately.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
Brides of Dracula
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 07:50:49 PM »

Offline Azalin41

• Assistant
Re: Brides of Dracula
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 08:42:13 AM »
Hi All

New to this group ,

I think the female vampires from Chiltern Miniatures make good brides of Dracula , No armor , no weapons
But Chiltern miniatures are slightly big :-(