Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:02:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Richthofen’s Flying Circus New Rules From Warhammer Historical  (Read 8209 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Richthofen’s Flying Circus New Rules From Warhammer Historical
« on: February 15, 2012, 12:08:25 PM »
In the years leading up to 1917 the ground conflict of the Great War was proving costly to both sides, and the battles fought in the air were equally as intense as technological advances and better tactics were developed.

The air war reached its peak between 1917 and 1918 as aircraft became fast, highly manoeuvrable machines; each pilot determined to attain a superior position for the fleeting seconds in which a target might pass through a gun sight.

Richthofen’s Flying Circus, written by Owen Branham, is a detailed rules set that allows players to recreate this fast-paced aerial combat with one or more miniature aircraft. Each game turn represents a snapshot of the action as the machines move across the aerial battlefield and fire upon their opponent.

This full-colour, 80-page soft back rulebook contains rules for playing aerial combat games with 1/72 scale model aircraft, and can also be used with 1/144 to 1/32 scale models. Scenarios are provided for such missions as Dogfighting, Balloon Bursting and Bombing missions, as well as rules for playing both narrative campaigns or ‘top gun’-style leagues. Also included is a technical gallery and aircraft background information, and you can view some sample page spreads here.
Richthofen’s Flying Circus is available to order now for immediate release.

£18

'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Richthofen’s Flying Circus New Rules From Warhammer Historical
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 12:54:53 PM »
Well, I'm sold.  :D

Time to dust off my 1/72 aircraft.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline mpennock

• Scientist
    • Arctic Skunk Shapeways store
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 12:58:05 PM »
I may have to check this out.

Offline Old Goat

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 04:05:17 PM »
Shiney...

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 04:34:23 PM »
Anyone have clues on mechanics?

Doug

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 10:22:54 PM »
As much as I despise GW I will await to see reviews to determine if this become a candidate to replace my favorite rules sets.  

Also wrong scale - still like my (limited 1/600th scale planes.)  Good rules, make that very good rules,  could be adapted...

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:25:34 PM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Cultist #3

• Scientist
  • Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 02:00:04 AM »
You beat me to the punch joroas, I was just going to post this, my copy has been ordered  :D
Zombies you can outrun - the mistakes of your fellow Heroes you cannot.

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 01:59:39 PM »
"1/32 scale aircraft"? Now there's a convention game! Or one played over the green fields of, um, my neighborhood park.

from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Online Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 04:29:09 PM »
"1/32 scale aircraft"? Now there's a convention game! Or one played over the green fields of, um, my neighborhood park.

Be your own flight stand!

Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 06:08:33 PM »
Be your own flight stand!

Fantastic!  Though I wouldn't call here a DH10 to her face!
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 07:04:52 PM »
What ever happened to the 'Warhammer Historical are going down the pan and aren't going to release anything new!' panic of a few months ago?
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 07:38:03 PM »
What ever happened to the 'Warhammer Historical are going down the pan and aren't going to release anything new!' panic of a few months ago?

As I understand it *they* found some way to make the series of rules far more profitable by introducing some kind of distribution rights thing. You'd have to ask someone who knows anything about it for any details .....

I say this after recalling a long, dedicated and angry rant from the owner of the Westgate Wargames shop in Canterbury who was more than a little annoyed about it.

Offline GilmoreDK

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 09:19:31 PM »
There is some rule examples here:

http://www.warhammer-historical.com/PDF/RulesSummary.pdf

And here:

http://warhammer-historical.com/Aspreads/richthofen.html

At a glance the rules seem a bit colourless and old fashioned in their insistence on resolving all kinds of situations with D6 and be true to the GW system logics (the same goes for their "The Great War" ruleset in my opinion).

I think i prefer "Watch Your Six!"(with a neat system for pursuit and for prioritizing pilot focus through dice pools) or i guess "Algernon pulls it off 2" (When it arrives - I love "Bag the Hun" and "Through the Mud and the Blood") to this one...

Or Don Glewwes Dogfight! (or his inspired combination of Algernon - WY6 and Dogfight) -  Both rulessets available here for free:
http://www.glewwe-castle.com/brawl-factory/dogfight.html

- Svend

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 11:13:36 PM »

That wasn't exactly the concern most of us had if I recall.

WHH botches the publication of WAB 2.
WHH killed off about 10 supplements that were already written, Rise of Rome, The Successors, The Golden Horde, The Crusades, Caesar, etc.
WHH called for 3 Armies of Antiquities books originally from Martin Gibbon. He wrote them. Then they said condense this into the "best lists" as we are only releasing one book.
Popular books that people want to buy and are sold out will never, ever be reprinted. Legends of the Old West and The Great War come to mind.
A Great War supplement about WW1 in the East, Africa and Asia would sell as well as Over The Top did. Will WHH consider it? Never.
Instead of asking what WHH owners would like, we get silence from WHH/Forgeworld
Publication that come out are not in support of existing clientele, but are vanity publications from friends and insiders. Who then are made redundant!

Perhaps you should word your question, "What ever happened to the 'Warhammer Historical are going down the pan and aren't going to release anything of interest to those who supported WHH for the last decade" panic of a few months ago?
"This I have known ever since I stretched out my fingers to the abomination within that great gilded frame; stretched out my fingers and touched a cold and unyielding surface of polished glass." 

H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 04:27:49 PM »
Ray has done a quick overview of the rules on the Scarab Forum:

http://scarabminiatures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=809