Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:29:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 3rd Edition Fantasy Rules and Campaign rules  (Read 4619 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
3rd Edition Fantasy Rules and Campaign rules
« on: February 25, 2012, 02:10:08 AM »
Big Fan of 2nd edition R! who was turned off by Chipco's high priced (IMO) 3rd edition PDF.  Now, after a long snit on my part, I see that either the price dropped or I have loosened up the pocket book.

Tell me why (come payday) I might want to buy both of them (or only one of them,) please.

What has changed/improved/worsened?

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
Re: 3rd Edition Fantasy Rules and Campaign rules
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 12:48:59 PM »
Haha...I got all excited that you were talking about 3ed. WFB...but obviously your not!  But I'm not sure which system you are talking about.

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 12:54:22 PM »
Took me a bit to find out but the rules are simply called "Fantasy Rules!", more info here:
http://www.sabersedge.com/chipco/fr3.htm (Fantasy Rules! 3rd Edition)

I don't have any experience with the rules though so I can't comment on that.

Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 02:22:37 PM »
Haha...I got all excited that you were talking about 3ed. WFB...but obviously your not!  But I'm not sure which system you are talking about.

Blue

Sorry, "rabid certified not buying anything (especially their horrible rules) GW" unless it is second-hand, actually decent sculpt,  and fits a niche (lizardmen for Venusian based Spanish VSF foes has been my only exception so to date,) so I regret your misperception.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline leutenantbrittan

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 06:06:30 PM »
Hi!

To be honest I don't think there's much difference between the editions. I had second and actually preferred it to 3rd edition. Plus the PDF comes in individual pages not as a single document. No big deal if you intend to print it out but a pain if you just want to use the digital copy!

It's a decent ruleset, if a tad old fashioned as it reminds me of hordes of the things more than Warhammer or similar sets.

The price of the PDF was a bit silly, especially as the quality was decidedly average without much illustration or even decent examples of play.

Hope that helps!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 01:57:18 AM »
Feedback appreciated.  Will stay with 2nd unless I hear lots of opposite opinions.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 02:23:59 AM »
Ah, I thought he was talking about WFB 3 too...

We played a good bit of 2nd ed FR! but I was another who wasn't willing to spring for 3rd.

The prices has come down a good bit and I've since picked up a copy... but lately it's all been about SOBH and WFB 3.0.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 07:08:07 AM »
The magic system in 3rd Ed Fantasy Rules! is much, much more streamlined than 2nd ed, the magic pools are more fluid, the spells are tweaked too.

Aside from that, there's very few changes in the actual mechanisms. There are  LOT more army options and lists available, a few changes and new units (Rifles, cavalry has been tweaked, etc). Lots of cleanups and tweaks from 2nd.

The cleaned up magic system alone is worth it, along with the tweaked units and army lists.

Unfortunately I play FR!3 about twice a year with an old friend, everyone else locally has forgotten about 15mm fantasy, which is a shame.

The other shame is that his very-slowly-growing Undead army (which has been growing by about one base every year for the last ten...) nearly always beats my beloved Dwarves, my mob-o-Orcs and even my high-chivalric Human Knights. Damn necromancers, anyway. (oh wait, they already are... never mind, then...)

We did have one supremely satisfying battle last year in which my Dwarven army, glutted with artillery, manged on the first three turns to destroy all four characters in his Undead army. Freakish lucky to-hit rolls for me, awful bad luck in character-survival rolls for him. His entire force was undead, no living allies of any sort, so when his last character caught a mortar round with his forehead the entire army evaporated like mist. My Dwarves shrugged and ordered the ale casks opened. Strangest battle we'd either had in years of FR! play!