Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:48:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691273
  • Total Topics: 118383
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How do you undercoat your models?  (Read 4146 times)

Offline Faber

• Mastermind
  • onnivorous painter
    • Faber Ambitious Mordheim Project
How do you undercoat your models?
« on: April 16, 2012, 09:04:07 AM »
Hello gentlemen.
I normally use white primer to undercoat my models. There are various advantage in my opinion: brighter colors, easy to cover white with one layer, easy to see details while painting.
BUT
I know many people prefer black primer. There are many top painter (the Captain, Bugsda, StoneColdLead, Spooktalker, the Prof....and more) that appears to use it with great result.
I'm going to ask you, what do you prefer?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:42:06 AM by Faber »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: How do you undercoat your models?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 09:17:15 AM »
Black primer covers a multitude of sins :D

Offline TheShadow

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:21:40 AM »
for me it depends what im painting, ie bright colours i prefer a white undercoat, lots of metals etc a black, i do think a lot of it is down to personal preference and painting style though
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"
"The weed of crime bears bitter fruit. Crime does not pay.... The Shadow knows!"

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 09:29:17 AM »
Tried both and ended up white for most, black for troops in armour and then using a wash to hide my poor painting skills.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 09:36:02 AM »
Priming the Blood Way

Cptn Blood taught me this.

Offline Faber

• Mastermind
  • onnivorous painter
    • Faber Ambitious Mordheim Project
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 09:50:39 AM »
Thanks guys. Interesting points of view :)

@Hammers:

I know this is the third option. I was expecting you to tell it ;)
It seems a interesting way to gain both the benefit of white and black priming.

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 09:51:43 AM »
Black primer covers a multitude of sins :D

Exactly!

I use black for that very reason. I'll maybe paint flesh areas white, after undercoating them.

Cheers
Andy

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 10:41:52 AM »
White spray undercoat, even if the finished model is to be mostly black.  It shows me flaws I've missed cleaning up and details that I'll paint differently for noticing them at this stage.  Black undercoat, on the other hand, just obscures everything, and leaves me having to scrape off unnoticed mould lines and such when I'm half way through painting.

Your eyes may differ!
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 10:56:49 AM »
I usually prefer black, due to my painting of mostly dwarves, and also for this sin-covering-thing mentioned above.  ;)

When I want to put more effort into it I use this "black-white"-priming, that is in most cases for heroes, female miniatures and in general special ones or for testing of new techniques, etc. I seldom (mly?) prime pure white, because - hm - I simply do not like it, so far did it only, when my black is empty and didn't like it. However, I know about the advantages/disadvantages of priming either black or white and it really depends about the later miniature and oneselfes "paint likings", e.g. techniques, colours, speed of one's painting, etc.

The black-white-method I stumbled over a few yeard ago. It is a first step black priming, with a slight nebula of white over it (when the black is dry! mentioned just for the protocoll). This method gives a great detailed look of the miniazure and I like it, because I can see "more" of the mini, though it is actually not painted. It helps me to find some ideas or colours for the paint-job to come.

best wishes
DK

best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 10:56:54 AM »
I do a thin black undercoat; once it's dry, I do a white dry brush. I find I get the deep shadows  of a black base coat, & the brightness of a white one. The added benefit is it makes it easier for these old eyes to pick out details.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline inkydave

• Mad Scientist
  • Usuthu
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 11:10:50 AM »
White spray undercoat, even if the finished model is to be mostly black.  It shows me flaws I've missed cleaning up and details that I'll paint differently for noticing them at this stage.  Black undercoat, on the other hand, just obscures everything, and leaves me having to scrape off unnoticed mould lines and such when I'm half way through painting.

Your eyes may differ!

This totally. My eyes just cant handle a black undercoat, even with strong lighting. Painting some Empress zulus at the mo, superb casts, but the mould lines are so fine that its only after undercoating white that I can see them all. I would miss some if they were undercoated in black.
Minima maxima sunt

Offline infelix

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 11:41:40 AM »
White most of the time for me, it fits my painting style better. I do use grey sometimes  but not very often now days. I try to stay clear of black at all cost, it just doesn't work for me at all, never have.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 11:53:14 AM »
Does anybody ever use normal paint as their undercoat?

I used to do this a lot with 15mm. I would undercoat each area with an appropriate color and then finish painting the area. Then I would move on to another.

I'm going to try this again with my Empress minis because I found that when I spray undercoated, too much of the detail got too much paint and made it very difficult to pick out properly.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 12:07:58 PM »
I vary the colour depending on the model and what I'm going to do with it, and undercoat both with spray and by brush. For zombies I tend to undercoat in the flesh tone, for modern Brit I use the base shade for MPT, and VBCW blackshirts aways black.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 12:13:24 PM »
Another option that I have used a lot is to undercoat in a mid-tone brown and then a dark brown or black wash.
This is particularly useful when painting figures that are dark or have a large flesh area, as it works well as a base.
Also a good base for metals and camo.
I painted a whole Imperial guard army this way some years ago, and it speeded the whole thing up so much.