Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:10:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.156 Scots pike block painted  (Read 593962 times)

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
  • www.dalauppror.blogspot.com
    • Dalauppror Wargamingblog
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms - Scum of the earth, 15 August
« Reply #1620 on: August 16, 2015, 05:54:10 AM »
Very nice builds Richard !

Best regards Michael

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #1621 on: August 16, 2015, 06:26:22 AM »
Nicely done.  :D

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #1622 on: August 16, 2015, 11:03:53 AM »
Very nice figures indeed
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1623 on: August 16, 2015, 11:17:35 AM »
Thanks chaps.
I will get round to painting them sooner or later, really  :)

(Felt a little twinge of the WotRs mojo returning!  ;))

Well, it was worth making these up for that alone :)

Once you've finished your 82 Germans, obviously  ;)

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1624 on: August 16, 2015, 07:17:00 PM »
 :D

Your WotR  thread/collection has always been an inspiration to me  ;)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #1625 on: August 16, 2015, 11:17:52 PM »
I've re-read this thread over the last couple of days and there is some super stuff there Cap'n B. Can I ask a couple of questions?

When you did your big bombard thing, what sized base did you use? I was inspired to have a go with mine and discovered that the 120x60mm base I thought would do the job was too small and 150mm long seems the smallest one could get away with, and 80mm or larger for width?

Also, what colour was the filling of the padded jackets? I've got one or two that haven't come away cleanly from the sprue and I thought I might portray them as coming apart at the seams rather than repairing them with poly cement.

And - why didn't the gambeson get wider usage before? I mean you look at the Dark Ages and my impression at least is that they either suited up with mail, wore boiled leather, or nothing at all. You'd think that a padded jacket would be a middle income sort of outfit....

Finally, I used a couple of the trumplines from the Perry Continental Army box as these looked suitably generic slung over the back of the WotR figures. just a thought. Having seen what you've done with the Agincourt figures I'm tempted to buy a box and start trying things out!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1626 on: August 18, 2015, 08:26:40 PM »
Thanks, Littlearmies  :)

The bombard base - um, really not sure. Don't have it to hand at the moment. I just cut a base out of plastic card that was big enough to hold the bomard and mantlet, plus around 8 figures and some bits and pieces.

Looking at it again, I would say the base is maybe 200mm long by 100mm wide? Something like that?

The wadding in quilted gambesons was mostly wool, I believe (Medieval England's staple product, let's remember) but perhaps sometimes also flax (linen) and horsehair. Basically any fibrous, heavy duty stuffing, the denser the better. So I guess the colour of the stuffing, if seen through a rip in the surface fabric, would likely be a neutral / natural off white/grey.

Don't really know why quilted armour came into its prime in the mid to late medieval period, and not so much before. Maybe we just don't have the surviving archaeological or illustrative / monumental evidence from earlier times. In wargames terms, I've certainly seen Normans portrayed in quilted hauberks. Aztecs too. But I don't know about the evidence for these things.

Good idea on the trumplines from the AWI set. All baggage is good and useful, and I guess a blanket roll or a knapsack is much like a blanket roll or knapsack whether it's from the C15th or C18th Centuries.
(Actually, I don't know what a trumpline is. Is it the blanket roll?)

:)

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paulīs Bods
« Reply #1627 on: August 18, 2015, 09:29:17 PM »
Missed the Bombard before.....kin lovely!!!  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Actually, I don't know what a trumpline is. Is it the blanket roll?
A Quote from a rich bloke trying to get elected  :)

Iīve heard of a "tumpline"..the strap attached to a pack which then goes on your back and then the strap is  put across the forehead. 
I knew the truck didnīt want to hit me...it had dodge written on the front

Paulīs Bods Blog
Federation of Bodstonia

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #1628 on: August 20, 2015, 01:02:09 PM »
Helo CB
Thanks for your response.

Apologies - it should be tumpline (I was lifting the spelling from the sheet that comes with the set - and that isn't the only typo!) - essentially it is a bedroll, folded in half, held together by a couple of straps, worn diagonally on the back secured to a belt passed over one shoulder. There are a couple of the WoTR plastic figures that already have such a strap moulded on. If you try this I suggest you scrape away a bit of the strap running across the back so you get a snug fit on the tumpline.

Obviously a picture is worth a thousand words: http://gilesallison.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/perry-miniatures-plastic-awi-british.html These are the British but the American pack has them too - but as there are no extra packs / tumplines (at least in the American box) you'll need to find someone doing some AWI in light kit only.

Malc

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
Right then, as mentioned, the advent of the Light Cavalry and Agincourt to Orleans sets from the Perrys, has allowed me to finally make up some real rabble... lower class light cavalry - hobilars, currours, coustillers, ribauds, scurrers - whatever you want to call ‘em. But basically horsemen, lightly arnoured but armed to the teeth, living in the saddle and used for scouting, foraging and harrying the countryside round about…

To create the rough-and-ready pillaging look, I’ve duly mashed-up parts from the Perry light cavalry set, using un-helmeted longbowmen heads and bucklers from the Agincourt-Orleans English Army set, plus a selection of slung helmets, bags, spare weapons, ropes and other bits and pieces from the new Frostgrave soldiers set, supplemented with a few Green Stuff pouches and bags. I've loaded them up to create the look of an army living off the land, and ready for mischief.

The first figure pictured sports one of the two heads included in the Perrys' Salute 2015 freebie miniature kit. Very useful, which is why I need to lay my hand on a few more of them!

Those are lovely .

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #1630 on: August 20, 2015, 08:01:51 PM »
That bombard base is a stunning piece, Richard. Beautiful work!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1631 on: August 20, 2015, 08:49:32 PM »
Thanks Alex  :)
The trouble with such a long running thread is that you lose track of what came before!
The bombard in all its glory is fully detailed back on page 57  lol
It was the front cover diorama for an issue of Wargames Soldiers and Strategy magazine  :)

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
« Reply #1632 on: August 21, 2015, 10:44:24 AM »
Again wonderful pieces, Richard!   :-*
I had to read a couple of pages and it was pure joy to follow your additions. The King is awesome and likewise the bombard base. Top-notch!
Please visit my blog: Monty's Caravan

Offline zirrian

• Librarian
  • 1:72 enthusiast
« Reply #1633 on: August 23, 2015, 10:59:16 AM »
Wonderful thread, my dear Captain. Lots of inspiration. And now, sorry to be a bit off topic, but since I couldn't find the rules for your WotR game, would you be so kind to give a link for it? I know I had it somewhere, but can't find if my life would depend on it :/

Keep up the good work, may the Perry brothers give you more figures to work with  ;)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1634 on: August 23, 2015, 06:18:53 PM »
Thank you Zirrian.

The rules I have mainly used are by Silent Invader. See http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=74159.0

:)