Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:32:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.156 Scots pike block painted  (Read 593979 times)

Offline charla51

• Librarian
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms - Scum of the earth, 15 August
« Reply #1635 on: August 24, 2015, 08:46:52 AM »
re: Gambeson: Some of the figures on the Bayeaux Tapestry seem to be wearing a garment with a lozenge-shape design that has been interpreted as indicating quilted protection i.e a gambeson.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1636 on: August 24, 2015, 09:48:44 AM »
Indeed. And some in 'scale' armour, as well as those apparently depicted in chainmail. Which, is, I am sure, the basis for many miniatures sculptors putting the occasional Norman into quilted armour rather than a mail hauberk. Unfortunately, art historians, archaeologists and military historians have been arguing about the literal accuracy of what is depicted in the tapestry since time immemorial. Pinpoint accurate depiction of contemporary military dress and equipment, or fanciful interpretation by non-military embroiderers? Or somewhere in between. Guess we'll never know for sure  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #1637 on: August 24, 2015, 10:05:55 AM »
Indeed. And some in 'scale' armour, as well as those apparently depicted in chainmail. Which, is, I am sure, the basis for many miniatures sculptors putting the occasional Norman into quilted armour rather than a mail hauberk. Unfortunately, art historians, archaeologists and military historians have been arguing about the literal accuracy of what is depicted in the tapestry since time immemorial. Pinpoint accurate depiction of contemporary military dress and equipment, or fanciful interpretation by non-military embroiderers? Or somewhere in between. Guess we'll never know for sure  :)

I just took advantage of the "Ansel B'day Sale" bought some of the Foundry later Normans (they'll be used in vignettes for the Hastings game at Salute- totally shameless plug!) and one on the knights had a hauberk that seems to be leather and has a chain attached in a sort of checkered fashion! I'm not sure how practicable this armour would be but I'm going to include it in the game due to the paucity of evidence that we have to the 11th Century and it's armours.

Darrell.

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #1638 on: August 25, 2015, 12:55:08 PM »
re: Gambeson: Some of the figures on the Bayeaux Tapestry seem to be wearing a garment with a lozenge-shape design that has been interpreted as indicating quilted protection i.e a gambeson.

I was rather thinking of earlier than this - Viking raiders, Saxons and so on. They had access to wool and flax so one wonders why they didn't use it.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #1639 on: August 25, 2015, 01:01:51 PM »
I was rather thinking of earlier than this - Viking raiders, Saxons and so on. They had access to wool and flax so one wonders why they didn't use it.

I'm pretty sure that it would have been used. After all, the women of Canterbury can't have been too well read on the art of war :) who knows, some of the representations in the tapestry might actually indicate padded cloth armours(?).

Stephen Turnbull is pretty convinced that padded cloth armours were brought to Europe from the Muslim sphere of influence but I'm not so convinced. It wouldn't be the first time in human history that two idea have developed (out of necessity) in two different places pretty much simultaneously.

Darrell.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #1640 on: September 02, 2015, 08:19:25 PM »
Well, time for my quarterly visit to this thread.
Sits back with a mug of mead to enjoy the visual delights. 
Don't!

Offline pdepaolis

• Lurker
« Reply #1641 on: October 08, 2015, 03:34:25 AM »
Incredible work! Just ordered some Perry Foot Knights, now the wait begins.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1642 on: October 08, 2015, 08:05:27 AM »
You won't be disappointed  :)

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1643 on: October 18, 2015, 08:03:52 PM »
Whilst not my period I just want you to know how much enjoyment and inspiration I get from this thread...have just reread a huge part of it just to take onboard the ingenuity and skill evident in all your pieces...truly marvellous stuff sir....with regard to the loss of mojo a while back....can be a seasonal thing I find....long winter months being more conducive to staying indoors and getting on with stuff....either way thanks for sharing your endeavours
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1644 on: October 18, 2015, 09:28:39 PM »
Thank you. I really appreciate the generous compliment.
Undoubtedly the supportive comments of other gamers and modellers on these boards, help provide the impetus to keep going with such a long running project.
(I suspect it may never end, as long as the Perrys keep producing new medieval sets  o_o)

Thanks again  :)

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1645 on: October 19, 2015, 08:16:45 AM »
(I suspect it may never end, as long as the Perrys keep producing new medieval sets  o_o)

In that case I hope they do keep adding more plastic medievals so that we can keep ogling your kitbashings, even though every time I look at one of your updates my wallet cries :)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #1646 on: October 20, 2015, 07:20:44 AM »
Thanks Alex  :)
The trouble with such a long running thread is that you lose track of what came before!
The bombard in all its glory is fully detailed back on page 57  lol
It was the front cover diorama for an issue of Wargames Soldiers and Strategy magazine  :)

It's a shame. Such a great thread with SO many good pages, but there's no easy way to click back to a certain page! Bum fluff!!  >:(

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #1647 on: February 12, 2016, 10:23:26 PM »
It's a shame. Such a great thread with SO many good pages, but there's no easy way to click back to a certain page! Bum fluff!!  >:(

As much as I dislike performing Threadomancy, I felt I could do a service here in addition to the gushing over Captain Blood's work. You can go to a specific page by adjusting the numbers at the end of the address. Page 57 is at this location:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=40936.850

Captain Blood, between this thread and your GoT thread, I can't say enough about your good work. The conversions, kit bashing and paint jobs are truly remarkable. You take these from such basic builds and make them something unique and characterful. Kudos!
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1648 on: February 13, 2016, 11:32:52 AM »
Thank you. That's very kind :)

I have painted the scum of the earth  - they'll be appearing in the upcoming Lead Painters League in due course.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1649 on: February 13, 2016, 09:44:33 PM »
Something to look forward to in the LPL then!

I never noticed the last reply count count in the URL. Adjusting it by 15 replies per page is a quick way to move pages.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;