Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:17:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.156 Scots pike block painted  (Read 593967 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms WIP (3 June - new paintjob)
« Reply #375 on: June 03, 2012, 10:19:57 PM »
Congratulations!
(On the arrival of your new duaghter - not your plastic mounted men-at-arms  ;))

Enjoy! (Both  :D)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms WIP (3 June - new paintjob)
« Reply #376 on: June 04, 2012, 12:13:55 PM »
Well, yesterday I managed to conceive and assemble several new builds  :)

First up is Count Otto Von Spargel, Hanseatic mercenary Kommandant! Jimbibbly kindly sent me some left over GW Empire accessories. Most of the weapons are too outsized to look real, but one or two of the heads are really too good not to use... Otto wears all the latest German-style harness, with his Sallet slung from his belt...

Next, a charging knight, extending his reach with the lance to spike. I'm not massively keen on the little flag on his bonce, as I think these are rather distinctively Burgundian, and I'm not doing Burgundians, but what the hell... He is (shock horror) in all respects a standard build straight from the MMAA box, with the exception of his sword from the WOTR command frame.

And thirdly, another man at arms. Again largely built from the MMAA box, although using one of the poleaxe arms from the WOTR command frame. I appreciate of course, that the poleaxe was the knightly weapon of choice for combat on foot and not used from horseback. But then, given the propensity for the gentry to saddle up and race off after their fleeing foes in the aftermath of a battle, I see no reason why a few would not still be clutching their poleaxes as they mount up and exhort their comrades to join the pursuit... I doubt there was always a squire standing by with a lance ready ;)

On the horse, I've also shaved off the cruciform trappings over the rump - just to provide a bit of variety in appearance really. A generous slathering of poly cement smooths and covers any last vestiges...

That's 17 of my 24 figures built now  :o
I'm going to slow down a bit on building, keep my powder dry on the remaining figures and concentrate on painting the completed builds over the next few weeks...

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
They look great again!  :) Keep doing those!
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
The entire thread just real wonderful stuff Captain!! :-* 8)

Christopher

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
Richard, you are my Middle-Age-Painter-Hero. And agein, it is Middle-Age. I won't ask you, if you do other things. This is thing you are doing is so great. Your horse with this pink part in the face, I never saw such a realistic detail.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Still very much agog here!  :-*

That guy without his bevor is just asking for trouble imo though!  >:D

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Fantastic work.  I have already built 2 boxes of each Perry WOTR set and now I want to buy more just to try to reproduce your ideas.
Mick

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Cheers Mick. I'm an admirer of your stuff on my occasional visits to TMP.
Please feel free to nick whatever ideas you like from this thread ;)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Thanks - you are too kind.

I wil post some of my own conversions in a week or so.  
I am making "temporary" command sets for the Swiss.  
I need some officers, 20 flag bearers and 3 war horn blowers.
They will get replaced / added too when the Perry's launch their official versions.
Mick
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:20:29 PM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline Faber

• Mastermind
  • onnivorous painter
    • Faber Ambitious Mordheim Project
Woa!  :-* :-*
Impressive amount of splendid conversions and paintjobs. I really like the Count's head posture: really fits my idea of a haughty and vicious mercenary commander. Great model! There's plenty of these lovely conversion details in this project...a real source of inspiration. Thanks for sharing and keep going Captain!

ps: Count Von Spargel's head is my favourite one in that GW Greatsword sprue. Happy to see you use some of those bits, they are really cool, probably the highest quality in the gw empire range.  :P

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Cracking work Richard and I'm glad to see some of those bits getting some use  8)

I would imagine that a poleaxe, however unwieldy, would be a terror to behold from horse back! That's certainly something you would never get up from  :o

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
True James, and whilst getting a decent swing to use the axe head might be difficult, it'll still work as an impromptu spear/lance

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Wow great stuff , your painting on the last two is just fantastic, and you painted the teeth on the last guy  :D

great builds, once you have painted the rest I hope inspiration comes back quick  :)

dodge

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
I would imagine that a poleaxe, however unwieldy, would be a terror to behold from horse back! That's certainly something you would never get up from  :o

Perhaps swing it underhand, like a polo hammer?  They don't like it up 'em, you know ...
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Magnificent! I barely have the patience to clean up mould lines and assemble them in standard ways, let alone to go to town on chopping and converting into such wonderful poses. I take my big, phallic medieval hat off to you!