Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:45:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.156 Scots pike block painted  (Read 593990 times)

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms WIP (19 June - Guns!)
« Reply #525 on: June 22, 2012, 01:49:27 AM »

It's really dead simple.

Excellent, that's just how I like it, cheers Richard  :)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline **GS**

• Mad Scientist
  • never enough time
    • Spitl.de
« Reply #526 on: June 22, 2012, 11:51:10 AM »
I don't know if I mentioned it before: You just made me begin another project with your outstanding works on these men at arms.
All of them are amazing.

I ordered three Perry Boxes and a Warlord Games Battalia Box, so there will be plenty of work to do for me.

thanks for sharing

GS
"You don't have enough magic in you to make cereals into breakfast!"Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #527 on: June 23, 2012, 12:28:44 PM »
Thanks. Glad you like them :)

I saw what you did there... very smooth.  ;)

lol - I did know about russetting before, honest  ;)
I actually own a set of russetted wrought iron garden furniture - all very artisan and  hand made. It is precisely this dark brown iron colour. You have to rub it down periodically as it rusts, leave the loose powdered rust sitting on the surface, and slap on a load of oil / chemical concoction which seals the whole lot and leaves it looking shiny and only subliminally rusty! It's a great finish, but it needs redoing at least once a year.

Now I know no soldier worth his salt lets his equipment get dirty (which is why I always paint my armour nice and shiny). And I'm sure artillerymen - even medieval artillerymen - did their best to keep their iron rust free as they dragged their primitive cannon through bogs and snow...  ;)

The difference is of course, that we have Hammerite and 101 chemical and oil based aids, paints, unguents and solutions, which they simply didn't have access to. Therefore I think it likelier that things got a lot more rusty a lot more quickly in the C15th than the C21st...
Anyway, that's my theory, and I'm sticking to it  :)

By the way, this is awesome  :o

I'm the chap who's just fired her (dark blue and red hat, dark blue doublet, goatee). It was fantastic and loud  :D 8) :-*

The gun you're firing there Mister Rab, gives me some hope that my pair of little Foundry conquistadores cannon may not be quite so far-fetched after all... It isn't dissimilar.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #528 on: June 23, 2012, 02:23:21 PM »
I always like the public sticking their fingers in their ears when shit like this happens  lol

Our regiment did some night firing last year and the photos looked rather good (slightly off topic but interesting none the less).

Just a thought Richard, but how about a light drybrush of silver over the top of the rusting to show a bit of usage wear?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #529 on: June 23, 2012, 03:03:14 PM »
I might well do that James...  ;)

I'm painting a mixed batch of gun crew and Mounted men at arms at the moment.
Will come back to the guns later. Need to decide whether to base them or not. I don't normally base guns - or haven't done for other periods... But I'm toying with doing mini-diorama bases for these... Possibly using Bibbly Patent Holes for the gun crews...

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #530 on: June 23, 2012, 03:33:15 PM »

Just a thought Richard, but how about a light drybrush of silver over the top of the rusting to show a bit of usage wear?

Good call, especially on the edges of the wheels  :)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #531 on: June 23, 2012, 04:56:57 PM »
Now I know no soldier worth his salt lets his equipment get dirty (which is why I always paint my armour nice and shiny). And I'm sure artillerymen - even medieval artillerymen - did their best to keep their iron rust free as they dragged their primitive cannon through bogs and snow...  ;)

The difference is of course, that we have Hammerite and 101 chemical and oil based aids, paints, unguents and solutions, which they simply didn't have access to. Therefore I think it likelier that things got a lot more rusty a lot more quickly in the C15th than the C21st...

They had their pages, servants, valets/varlets, whatever, regularly roll their armour, mail and what have you, in barrels of coarse sand... something that was featured in Game of Thrones in one episode, which quite impressed me...

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #532 on: June 24, 2012, 03:00:05 PM »
The gun you're firing there Mister Rab, gives me some hope that my pair of little Foundry conquistadores cannon may not be quite so far-fetched after all... It isn't dissimilar.

Not far-fetched at all; the group who made that little beauty (I think they call her 'Isabelle'  ::)) used details from a late C15th piece that saw action in the War of the Roses to get their dimensions and so forth.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #533 on: June 29, 2012, 03:58:35 PM »
Finally I succeeded in carving away enough of a Fireforge caparisoned horse body, to make it work (just about) with a Perry MMAA rider and horse's head...
I had to rebuild the saddle too, using both ends of a pavise...

This elderly knight in his antiquated great bascinet, is proud to display the arms of the Tenchleys of Staffhurst on his equally old-school horsecloths... He is perhaps, Sir Robert Tenchley's disreputable uncle, Sir Gilbert - a veteran of the French wars, where as a younger man he fought in England's now lost territories of Gascony and Normandy... Back in the day when his war-gear was the height of fashion...  ;)

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms WIP (29 June update)
« Reply #534 on: June 29, 2012, 04:05:19 PM »
Very, very nice, I love the rich claret(?) colour on the cloth. Its a great colour combo with the yellow. Possibly my favourite so far. ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #535 on: June 29, 2012, 04:19:36 PM »
Yes, lovely conversion, Richard. This old-fashioned bascinet is one of my favourite helmet types.

Offline Faber

• Mastermind
  • onnivorous painter
    • Faber Ambitious Mordheim Project
« Reply #536 on: June 29, 2012, 04:21:40 PM »
great job again, Captain! and ditto for Malamute: a great color choice  8)

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #537 on: June 29, 2012, 04:43:03 PM »
Stunning work. I love the beast on the horsecloth. Great work combining the two boxes, too. It looks really smooth.
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #538 on: June 29, 2012, 05:47:23 PM »
Outstanding conversion and paintwork there.  :)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #539 on: June 29, 2012, 06:16:23 PM »
Wonderful work - that is fantastic.
Mick