Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:19:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691122
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.156 Scots pike block painted  (Read 593728 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
I'd think the Perrys should be considering cutting him on the vig (sorry, been watching 'Boardwalk Empire').

I've had Boardwalk Empire seasons 1 and 2 on my Amazon wishlist for a couple of months now. I hear it's dead good. Hopefully Santa will oblige  ;)

I am just going to use the names of some of my old platoon buddies. But we had a Dodds, Kennedy, Ward, Whitley, Raleigh, Macon, Dooly, Peacock, Turner, Bakker, Hamm, Smith, Robert, Archer, Fisher, Camp, Jackson, Hansen, Karns, McCall, Hunter, Cooper, Newberry, Cats, Allen, Arent, Glass, Perkins, Goodwin,Neal, Dutton, Peterson, Fulbight, Douglass, Bell, Rivers, Taylor, Booth, Toll, White, Black, Gardener, Lake, Thomas, Lake, Coffey, Upright, Paul, St. John, Minon, Williams, Terry, Lockheart, Jonson, Lee, Sall, Hall, Porter,Tucker, Grooms, Hobin, Lust, Tagen, Blakeley, Kister Pogue, Isenbart Guest. And those are the names off the top of my head.

Some fabulous names there  :)
I'd say the following sound passable surnames for medieval gentry: Ward, Whitley, Hamm, Arent, Fulbight, Rivers, Toll, Lake, Thomas, Minon, Hall, Lust (gotta be!), Blakeley.
To me, these have the right feel. Most of the others are either too Celtic or they are 'occupation' names - Baker, Archer, Fisher, Turner, Hunter, Gardener, Porter, Tucker etc - which would work for commoners, but not the fighting upper classes... And one or two are clearly foreign (although slightly French-sounding surnames work well for English medieval bigwigs, since there was still a huge amount of cross Channel interaction... Hence Arent and Minon would work for me... )

Now then, since I'm thinking about getting into this myself (next year) are there some family names you could throw my way to get me started?

The names I've used for my various factions are literally the names of the various medieval manors, high families and villages around where I live. The area had a number of manors - Tenchley, Detillens, Osney, Stocketts, Foyle, and so on... Just do a search online for local manors in your chosen area, and it will throw up a cornucopia of local history records containing hundreds of genuine medieval names of people, families, manors and villages. And usually the complex web of interrelationships between all these people and their holdings, plus assorted connections to the higher aristocracy.
Then off you go :)

Once you've picked your families / factions, you can invent their heraldry / livery in a cavalier fashion (like I have), or you can research it.
Old churches in villages and hamlets very often have the coats of arms and colours of their medieval families on the wall somewhere, or you can find local history records detailing these.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
The names I've used for my various factions are literally the names of the various medieval manors, high families and villages around where I live. The area had a number of manors - Tenchley, Detillens, Osney, Stocketts, Foyle, and so on... Just do a search online for local manors in your chosen area, and it will throw up a cornucopia of local history records containing hundreds of genuine medieval names of people, families, manors and villages. And usually the complex web of interrelationships between all these people and their holdings, plus assorted connections to the higher aristocracy.
Then off you go :)

Once you've picked your families / factions, you can invent their heraldry / livery in a cavalier fashion (like I have), or you can research it.
Old churches in villages and hamlets very often have the coats of arms and colours of their medieval families on the wall somewhere, or you can find local history records detailing these.

Sounds good to me  :D

Now then, which area to choose... Kingston methinks. It'll make a nice triangle between you me and Steve  ;)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
I've had Boardwalk Empire seasons 1 and 2 on my Amazon wishlist for a couple of months now. I hear it's dead good. Hopefully Santa will oblige  ;)

one of the best TV shows ever made, certainly in the all time top five 8)

...and season three is just as good so far :D
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
one of the best TV shows ever made, certainly in the all time top five 8)

...and season three is just as good so far :D

I wouldn't go quite that far, but without doubt it's compelling viewing! I've just finished Season 1 and 2 is next on the list!  :D

Offline Big Martin

• Scientist
  • Wargamer, Re-enactor & Failed Historian
Great job on the men-at-arms. I invested in another box of the plastics at Colours, mainly to create some additional alternative commanders for our games. I was disappointed, however, as I couldn't get any of the Yorkist command metal figures to use for the actual personality, so the plastics remain waiting for a paintjob. Wish I could get results like yours!
Not sure who I doing yet, other than Berkeley of Stoke Gifford, because he was the lord of my home village and I was stood by his grave recently in the Lord Mayor's chapel in Bristol during the "Doors Open" day. He lived to a ripe old age (for the 1400s) and was a Yorkist though not always agreeing with Edward IV.
Tutenes, Atque Cujus Exercitus?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Not sure who I doing yet, other than Berkeley of Stoke Gifford, because he was the lord of my home village and I was stood by his grave recently in the Lord Mayor's chapel in Bristol during the "Doors Open" day. He lived to a ripe old age (for the 1400s) and was a Yorkist though not always agreeing with Edward IV.

Brilliant Martin. Sounds like a very good reason for reincarnating Berkeley. I hope he has a good-looking coat of arms :)
Is he the same Berkeley that appears in Kingmaker (I seem to recall a red, white and black shield... )

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
 lol lol lol lol lol lol

I bought a box of bow and bill and the merc command set.

lol lol lol lol lol lol

Offline Hildred Castaigne

• Scientist
I wouldn't go quite that far, but without doubt it's compelling viewing! I've just finished Season 1 and 2 is next on the list!  :D
After Season 2 you will go that far too!  ;)

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
lol lol lol lol lol lol

lol lol lol lol lol lol

What...... You said next year but succumbed within 24 hours?!

lol
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God

What...... You said next year but succumbed within 24 hours?!

lol

That's the WotR spirit! For completeness you should change sides half way thought the battle too.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
lol lol lol lol lol lol

lol lol lol lol lol lol

lol
Look at the Bibbly as he flutters by!
 ::)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain

lol

;D ;D ;D

You're only jealous that you haven't got the same restraint as I have  lol

cheers

James

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures

lol

He just can't help himself. ::)

lol
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Welcome James, to the Dark Side of plate armour and poleaxe...  >:D  ;)

Now, about that castle...  :)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Now, about that castle...  :)

Which one, Nottingham or the more realistic  :D

cheers

James