Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:50:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.156 Scots pike block painted  (Read 593941 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms WIP (6 Sept - A long overdue update!)
« Reply #1020 on: September 08, 2013, 10:12:32 AM »
No Arab heads, mate, but plenty of the GW types if there are any more that you want/need.
 :)

Any pseudo medieval bits always gratefully received Paul  :D
It's interesting to see what you can do with the tiny bit of inspiration provided by a new plastic part!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms WIP (6 Sept - A long overdue update!)
« Reply #1021 on: September 08, 2013, 10:20:38 AM »
Regarding the mercs, is it a case of building figures and then picking which group to stick them, or isn't the other way round, or a mix of the two, or something else entirely  :)

Sorry James - missed this earlier  :)

No, each of my noble retinues and mercenary companies has a distinct character of their own, and I deliberately try to build figures which fit the character of the 'house'. So the Flemings are hard-bitten professionals but a bit eccentric and showy with a complete assortment of weaponry, the Scots are pretty plain and businesslike (pikes and handguns only), the Milanese are more rascally and stylish, with weapons strapped onto all sorts of places and favouring crossbows and weird polearms.

The Howards are professionals - big league, big business, smartly turned out, latest kit. The DeBrasseys are middle of the road capable types, the Osneys are woodlanders, the Foyles are a bit more dapper and foppish, and the Tenchleys are old school tradition. That's how I think of it anyway...

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #1022 on: September 08, 2013, 10:28:07 AM »
Thanks Richard  :)

Makes sense and a good way to go about it.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #1023 on: September 08, 2013, 12:17:23 PM »
Any pseudo medieval bits always gratefully received Paul  :D
It's interesting to see what you can do with the tiny bit of inspiration provided by a new plastic part!

Ok.
I will get to bagging up various types of headgear, etc for you.
Sounds like you wouldnt mind a mix various odd weapons too.

Thats the thing with plastic kits: The versatility means that you just cant stop as the options are almost endless.
'Tis a slippery path you have chosen, Richard.
Be warned!
 :D

Offline Thaddeu

• Librarian
    • The Spoony Bardiche
« Reply #1024 on: September 08, 2013, 09:48:30 PM »
Whew! Just read this whole thread in one day. Fantastic stuff! You might be the patron saint of kitbashing.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1025 on: September 09, 2013, 07:02:42 PM »
Whew! Just read this whole thread in one day.

Blimey  :o
Thank you.

Painting on the mercs is underway. Mucho stripeyfication!

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #1026 on: September 09, 2013, 07:40:26 PM »
More great compositions Richard - love the one with his foot on the helmet the best!
Simon.

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #1027 on: September 09, 2013, 07:44:53 PM »
Any pseudo medieval bits always gratefully received Paul  Cheesy

Aren't the GW Empire bits and pieces a bit big to work with the Perry figures? I picked some bits and bobs up off eBay on the basis that they would work - the Empire handgunners heads seem to work (or at least aren't so oversize that they are noticeably wrong) but the knights heads and arms I got were well oversized. That little bit of difference between wargames 28mm and fantasy supersized figures seemed just too much. Or is it not so noticeable once you have the paint on?

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1028 on: September 09, 2013, 07:47:15 PM »
Sorry James - missed this earlier  :)

No, each of my noble retinues and mercenary companies has a distinct character of their own, and I deliberately try to build figures which fit the character of the 'house'. So the Flemings are hard-bitten professionals but a bit eccentric and showy with a complete assortment of weaponry, the Scots are pretty plain and businesslike (pikes and handguns only), the Milanese are more rascally and stylish, with weapons strapped onto all sorts of places and favouring crossbows and weird polearms.

The Howards are professionals - big league, big business, smartly turned out, latest kit. The DeBrasseys are middle of the road capable types, the Osneys are woodlanders, the Foyles are a bit more dapper and foppish, and the Tenchleys are old school tradition. That's how I think of it anyway...

I really like this approach to the different retinues. This and Silent Invader's WotR stuff has got me to reboot my own stuff and assemble it in similar mixed retinues rather than in units of similarly armed figures. The Medieval Painting Order has got me painting them again too. It'll be good to use my own figures rather than my mate's!

Offline einarolafson

• Mastermind
    • Einar Olafson Painting
« Reply #1029 on: September 09, 2013, 10:18:46 PM »
Fantastic original units and their reinforcements too. Love the one with the Fireforge helmet!!

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #1030 on: September 09, 2013, 10:34:45 PM »
Yay!

Updates!
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1031 on: September 09, 2013, 11:32:53 PM »
Thanks chaps.

More great compositions Richard - love the one with his foot on the helmet the best!

Thanks Simon. Actually it was your handgunners jumping over the wall that inspired me to go for some slightly more dramatic poses  :)

Aren't the GW Empire bits and pieces a bit big to work with the Perry figures? I picked some bits and bobs up off eBay on the basis that they would work - the Empire handgunners heads seem to work (or at least aren't so oversize that they are noticeably wrong) but the knights heads and arms I got were well oversized. That little bit of difference between wargames 28mm and fantasy supersized figures seemed just too much. Or is it not so noticeable once you have the paint on?

Well the flat cap is an absolutely perfect fit on the marching handgunner - but yes, the outsized GW fantasy weaponry wouldn't really work. (Although that said, Fireforge's knightly hand weapons are similarly comic-book in appearance, and they're supposed to be historically accurate... )

The GW heads seem to work okay.
They are probably a whisker too large for the Perry WOTR bodies - but not so much as you'd notice if it wasn't pointed out - like on these ones...

(The left-hand figure in this picture - the rest are Perry metals)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1032 on: September 14, 2013, 01:35:38 PM »
Another tiny update... Painting on the latest batch of mercenaries is now well underway.
I'm having such fun painting stripes on these exotic Milanese...

...that I couldn't stop myself prepping a couple more.

I'm now sorely tempted to build an entire Italian Condottieri army, composed entirely of such exotic characters  :D

This one previously appeared way further up in this thread with two pavises. But I decided, comical as this was, it would be a pretty useless figure. So I remodelled his right arm as a handgunner resting atop his pavise.

And this dandy Capitano is concocted from parts from the Mercenary and Mounted Men At Arms boxes...

Now both fast-tracked to the front of the painting queue with their fellows  :)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms WIP (small update - 14 September)
« Reply #1033 on: September 14, 2013, 01:42:40 PM »
The dandy is most dandy!  :-* 8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
  • High on life... and thinners. Mainly thinners.
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms WIP (small update - 14 September)
« Reply #1034 on: September 14, 2013, 01:48:27 PM »
Love this thread, Cap'n, never fails to impress!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers
Iain.
Proudly not painting Wars of The Roses since... ever