Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:07:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.156 Scots pike block painted  (Read 593894 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms WIP (small update - 14 September)
« Reply #1035 on: September 14, 2013, 06:29:56 PM »
Richard,

More loverrrrrllly conversions  :-* :-* :-*

Is that liquid green stuff you are using or a mix of both the epoxy and the more fluid stuff?

Darrell.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1036 on: September 14, 2013, 08:04:07 PM »
It's mostly the liquid stuff Darrell, although for the Scottish bonnet I used Milliput epoxy.

Online commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #1037 on: September 14, 2013, 10:17:36 PM »
Now watch that dandy own the game when ever you field him.  lol
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #1038 on: September 15, 2013, 12:05:41 AM »
Those two new poses are excellent Captain Blood. I'm definitely stealing them. My big metal order from the Perries arrived this morning and, while the figures are very nice, I think the plastic figures definitely have the edge in sharpness of detail - and the fact you can easily scrape away the mould lines, which are much finer to start with, makes them a real winner. The fact that you can mix and match to create unique poses is just a real bonus. I'm looking forward to seeing the painted figures.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1039 on: September 15, 2013, 07:44:12 AM »
great stuff Richard

an army of unique builds would be magnificent if a little challenging.

there's an article in that though  ;)

dodge

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1040 on: September 15, 2013, 07:46:34 AM »
 lol thanks Rog. Not a bad idea...  ;)

Littlearmies, I agree with you on all points. There are some wonderful character pieces amongst the metal ranges, but some of the figures are really quite crudely done compared with the consistent crisp excellence of the plastics. The infinite variety possible to create unique figures pretty much to your own specification, is also a massive advantage.

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #1041 on: September 15, 2013, 11:37:08 AM »
I have to confess that I didn't realise until I actually came to sit down and assemble some figures (only a year or so after I bought them) that, not only the bodies but the heads are common to the Mercenaries and Bill and Bow boxes, which was a slight disappointment. What are the two new boxes that the Perries have in the pipeline going to add to the mix? I can see the utility of the light cavalry box - but I've got to say, my personal favourites amongst the foot figures are the lightly armoured figures - the more armour, the less character (and vice versa) so more armoured chaps don't appeal much.

PS - Captain Blood I have some GW arms and things that I can't see working with the Perry figures but perhaps your experienced eye can see a use for them in your project. Pm me if you are interested.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 06:47:51 PM by Littlearmies »

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1042 on: September 15, 2013, 07:16:55 PM »
lol thanks Rog. Not a bad idea...  ;)

Funny that  :D

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1043 on: September 15, 2013, 07:20:55 PM »
 :D

Littlearmies - Yes, it was slightly disappointing to get exactly the same bodies and heads for the rank and file in both boxes. Given that they had to change the sprue anyway to accommodate the pike, crossbow and handgun arms, it would have been nice to get a few different heads at least. But the command frame does provide a lot of different options, and the mounted MMAA arms box provides many more. In fact there are 12 different heads in the MMAA box, 11 and 10 on the command sprues for the Mercs and WOTR boxes respectively, plus the 12 original 'standard' infantry heads - giving a choice of 45 different heads to date. I know you get a lot more of some than of others, but overall, I think that's a pretty generous assortment, and you can always customise more easily by adding or subtracting feathers, plumes, pennons and so on.

The two new sets (MAA on foot) and mounted lighter cavalry, are sure to bring at least another 20 - 24 different new heads. Beyond that, I haven't got a clue what will be included. Michael's already said it will be the same horses as in the MMAA set, although perhaps we can hope for a few different horse head options, since they won't be needing all that horse armour as lighter cavalry. As far as the foot MAA go, I really don't know. I already have far too many men-at-arms in proportion to my bow and bill armed troops, so although I will definitely get a box to see what I can do with them, I certainly won't be adding another 40 or so armoured knights to my already overweighty collection of fully armoured men. In fact, given that there has been a generous assortment of Perry metal packs of fully armoured MAA available for a couple of years now, I do wonder how well a box of plastic MAA on foot is really going to sell. But I guess they've thought about that.

Thanks for the offer of the GW arms etc. Mason has just sent me a batch, so I had better see how I get on with those first. But I'll take you up on your kind offer if more are needed. Thanks again :)

Online commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #1044 on: September 15, 2013, 08:15:24 PM »
I guess a box of heavy foot would make a good base for say a line of Scottish men at arms in a pike block and or Spanish or Italian heavy foot.
I personally would like to see figures with more of a Spanish feel or maybe even eastern European foot, with heavy flails and the like.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 08:56:13 PM by commissarmoody »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1045 on: September 15, 2013, 08:28:14 PM »
Yeah, I'd guess that Michael will include a whole array of more esoteric knightly hand weapons and polearms in that set, including flails, guisarmes, ahlspeisses, etc etc.
Let's face it, they won't be needing bows, crossbows, handguns, bills, pikes or anything else that's taken up a lot of room on the frame in the previous two infantry sets.
So there should be plenty of room to include a wide assortment of weaponry and arm choices.

Hopefully  :)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #1046 on: September 17, 2013, 03:59:56 AM »
Can't wait to see some paint slapped on those ne'er do wells.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #1047 on: September 17, 2013, 01:35:21 PM »
You need a spreadsheet for all the combinations Richard  ;)

Got me a box of mercs at the weekend so we'll see about ramping up production a little bit  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #1048 on: September 17, 2013, 02:31:46 PM »
Damn ... damn ... damn ... damn and blast it.

By Jehovah's beard, I haven't spent such an enjoyable half hour indulging my taste for beauty, since that unfortunate trek into the Sudan when a sandstorm forced us all to shelter in the one remaining tent. I haven't been able to look at a camel or a smooth-limbed arab boy since, without thinking of those abominable saddle-sores I suffered.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1049 on: September 17, 2013, 04:41:49 PM »
You need a spreadsheet for all the combinations Richard  ;)

Got me a box of mercs at the weekend so we'll see about ramping up production a little bit  :D

Excellent news James! (But I shall leave the spreadsheets to our mutual friend, Mr Invader :D)

By Jehovah's beard, I haven't spent such an enjoyable half hour indulging my taste for beauty, since that unfortunate trek into the Sudan when a sandstorm forced us all to shelter in the one remaining tent. I haven't been able to look at a camel or a smooth-limbed arab boy since, without thinking of those abominable saddle-sores I suffered.

lol
Thanks.
(I think ;))

The first of the newly painted mercs are about to appear - I guess I'll post them in the medieval painting order group project first, then here in due course...