Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:21:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691135
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.156 Scots pike block painted  (Read 593853 times)

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
Oh boy
Look at this lot
I turn my back for a few weeks and look what's been done

Absolutely stunning stuff Richard, a delight to catch up with this mighty thread that was being discussed within my earshot in of all places NZ this morning, by of all people, I kid you not, an Australian
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
those Balkan mercs look pretty cool! Can't wait to see them painted
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks folks  :)

Absolutely stunning stuff Richard, a delight to catch up with this mighty thread that was being discussed within my earshot in of all places NZ this morning, by of all people, I kid you not, an Australian

Kerry, they have Australians in New Zealand?  :o  :o
(I didn't think that was allowed ;))

Splendid stuff Richard, every time I contemplate off loading mine you seem to post something new and I think I might keep them a bit longer after all.

I feel the same about those Copplestone 15mm barbarians of yours...  ;)
Just can't kick the urge to do something with them, despite my rational judgement not to go there...

Anyway, here's the next painted up Scots mercenary handgunner...

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
He looks very good - but why does he have a closed face sallet?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Because he can, Mick :D

I'm afraid historical accuracy is not that important to me. I just like making and painting figures that look good and plausible. An expert would find many things wrong with many of my figures, I'm sure. Probably there were no Scottish handgunners either - I just don't know. It's all a bit fanciful really. Still, it keeps me happy :)

Cheers.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
If anyone points out that the Scottish saltire wasn't in use at that date, just tell them it's not the Scottish saltire - it's a St Andrew's cross!

Who's to say this particular hand gunner didn't see a nice helmet on the floor in a battlefield one day and say, "That looks nice, I'm having that". Perhaps it keeps the smoke out of his eyes? Perhaps it looks swish? Perhaps he once got smacked in the face with something nasty and didn't want the experience repeated? Perhaps he forgot to shave and is embarrassed?

I like to stick to historical accuracy if I can, but tere's an awful lot that lies outside the 'rules' and rests in the random wastes of human decision making. I'm pretty sure umbrellas, broadswords and longbows weren't part of official British officers' weaponry in WW2, but it didn't stop them being carried!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Online Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms WIP (update - 3 October)
« Reply #1161 on: October 06, 2013, 12:52:58 PM »

All your stuff is brilliant, Richard but these are personal favourites of mine. Do I detect a certain longing to try something more 'free-form' after 250 miniatures of late medieval miniatures? :)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Can't wait to see paint on these.

How will the mercs work game-wise? A force any player can hire or does each side have "designated" mercs? Will the mercs work with each other or tend to stick to their small national bands?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
Outstanding Capitan  lol The creative juices must be in spate  8)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Love those Merc kit-bashes.
They work really well.
 8)

The pretty Scot ain't too shoddy neither.
 :-*

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks lads.
Plenty more where these came from. I've hit a productive seam. But it will soon be worked out  ;)

How will the mercs work game-wise? A force any player can hire or does each side have "designated" mercs? Will the mercs work with each other or tend to stick to their small national bands?

They stick in their companies, but the companies can serve any employer. At the moment I have nationality-based companies, like Milanese, Flemings, Scots, and now... Let's call them Wallachians - although I doubt they bear any resemblance to historical Wallachians...

But it might be quite fun to do a mixed nationality mercenary company of pure, ultimate professionals... hmmm...  ::)

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
Glad to see those heads being put to good use...and fueling your creative juices!!!!!!!!!!! I think this series should be known as the 'Arkoudaki Balkan' range....which in English would be little bear Balkan range :D ;)

Looking forward to your usual oh so colorful paint job!  :)

former user

Your Balkanese warriors look rather convincing, kudos

there are a few Romanian historical movies that could inspire You

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
But it might be quite fun to do a mixed nationality mercenary company of pure, ultimate professionals... hmmm...  ::)

Double 'ard bastards then  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
You'll call them the A-Team? Now there's an image: a B. A. Baracus type in gold armour. lol
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen