Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:41:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.156 Scots pike block painted  (Read 593812 times)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms WIP (6 more paintjobs - 24 Nov)
« Reply #1380 on: November 25, 2014, 09:00:11 AM »
WOW!! Your best yet me thinks.  :-*  :-*  :-*
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #1381 on: November 25, 2014, 10:13:32 AM »
Stunning Silver armour Richard.  :-*

Cheers
Matt.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #1382 on: November 25, 2014, 10:14:48 AM »
very very nice indeed
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1383 on: November 25, 2014, 11:02:11 AM »
Absolutely magnificent.  You have captured Blue and Murrey very well.  Love the flagbearer and the livery badges.

Offline Percal

• Bookworm
« Reply #1384 on: November 25, 2014, 11:39:16 AM »
Absolutely fantastic!! I love them!

Offline Big Martin Back

• Scientist
« Reply #1385 on: November 25, 2014, 11:52:27 AM »
Excellent - wish my hands were steady enough to paint livery badges like that.
Tutenes, Atque Cujus Exercitus?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1386 on: November 25, 2014, 12:18:22 PM »
Thanks gents - I really appreciate the positive feedback. Keeps me going! :)

Magnificent painting, Richard!

Those badges came out wonderfully and are the icing on the cake!

Thanks Ray.

Truthfully, I think they look more like sunflowers rather than 'sunnes-in-splendor' - the centre of the sun is supposed to be a white rose motif: but when I tried it, it looked crap. Also, the livery badge is not very much bigger than a pinhead, so quite tricky to get that much detail in, so it has to be representational rather than totally accurate. Obviously on the tabletop, to the naked eye, it just looks like a  yellow smudge anyway, so I probably shouldn't worry about it...  ::)

I am sure I recognise one of those 'granny-sellers' from somewhere, though... ::)

lol - a passing resemblance to a certain lead baron of our acquaintance, perchance?  ;)

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #1387 on: November 25, 2014, 12:21:31 PM »
Stunning - a painting masterclass

Offline Steel fist

• Scientist
« Reply #1388 on: November 25, 2014, 12:26:57 PM »
Lovely work as always, do you have any more retinues planed or will you be shifting into another period soon?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1389 on: November 25, 2014, 12:32:31 PM »
Thanks Giles and Oliver  :)

No, I think the Yorkists will be my final WOTR retinue... Just had to find a way to make use of the Foot Knights box, and the 'light cavalry' box will go the same way when they arrive.

In future I may add a few figures here and there to the various retinues I now hold.

I may also hybridise some of the new Agincourt to orleans plastics with the WOTR-era boxes, to make some early period WOTR figures. Let's face it, it's not a huge leap from Orleans to First St.Albans... 25 years... A lot of the dress and equipment would still be in use I reckon...  :)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #1390 on: November 25, 2014, 12:38:08 PM »
You got loads of GoT to do yet as well  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #1391 on: November 25, 2014, 12:50:07 PM »

lol - a passing resemblance to a certain lead baron of our acquaintance, perchance?  ;)

Sigh ::)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1392 on: December 08, 2014, 06:15:40 PM »
Okay, so here are the first few mash-ups using parts from the new Agincourt to Orleans plastic set.

Truthfully, I’m not about to start another period. My main interest in this set is in using the parts to
1. Hybridise with the later C15th sets to create new and different figures for my Wars of The Roses armies and
2. Use the actual HYW bodies to hybridise with other plastic sets of all denominations, to create more figures for my fledgling Game of Thrones collection.

First up, a couple of longbowmen.

These use new bow arms from the new HYW set on WOTR bodies. The fact that all 6 bodies (and so all the arms) on the HYW archer frame are wearing long padded gambeson s, means an exponential increase in options for the three ‘standard’ bodies wearing padded jacks included in both the original WOTR infantry and the Mercenaries set. Very useful indeed. The new arms all seem to fit very well on the various later medieval bodies. One of these new longbowmen is wearing a helmet from the recent WOTR Foot Knight boxes. The other is the new bareheaded head from the HYW set. The other great thing about the new set is the wide and interesting variety of sheaves of arrows included on the frame. Adding a lot more choices to those included in the original WOTR bow and bills box…

Next, a couple of men-at-arms.
These use arms from the new HYW set (wielding a long warhammer and an impressive two-handed axe respectively) mounted on fully-armoured bodies from the recent WOTR Foot Knights set.

Some purists may balk at mixing armour styls like this – the relatively rudimentary circular besagews at the shoulder joint, paired with more sophisticated styles of later C15th white harness. But frankly, as long as it looks good, I don’t give a monkeys. To any but a real armour-nut, it just looks like any old plate armour. Especially in actual size on the tabletop. I defy anyone to notice. And these polearms are both extremely nice pieces (although the warhammer is extremely tricky to get off the frame without snapping the slender shaft).
As these guys are notionally in somewhat older suits of mixed plate, I gave them older style helmets, including the hefty great bascinet from the Mounted Men-at-Arms box.
Note how elegant and detailed the scabbarded swords are in the new set (on the fellow with the axe). Much more finely done.

And finally - in reverse of the above - a WOTR Foot Knight, two-handed-sword-wielding pair of arms mounted on one of the HYW knights’ bodies.
This figure will be going to join my Lannister forces for GoT, hence the added and unhistorical Fireforge heater shield and cloak.

The last figure here is another of the standard bodies in quilted jack - this time with the sword arm, sheld arm and a buckler added from the HYW archers frame.
The various non-longbow arms included on this frame are going to be extremely useful, and are very nicely done. With sword, with hand axe, two different left shield / buckler arms, a pair of arms swinging a sledgehammer, and a trumpeter arm.
The head is from the Foot Knights box.
Interesting to note how much taller the HYW knight is, compared to the original ‘bow and bills’ body.

My next few builds will probably be to use the new HYW longbowmen bodies with assorted heads, arms and equipment from Perry, Fireforge and Gripping Beast plastic sets, to start building my Stark forces for Game of Thrones.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms WIP (WOTR/new HYW mash-ups)
« Reply #1393 on: December 08, 2014, 06:25:15 PM »
Really like the GoT figures (the others are good of course)  8)

I think I might have to get a box or so of the archers for GoT myself.

cheers

James

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms WIP (WOTR/new HYW mash-ups)
« Reply #1394 on: December 08, 2014, 06:26:06 PM »
Very nice.
I have no trouble with the mix of armour. It looks great.

My only note is you should really move the buckler to the guys hand. A buckler is not worn on the arm like a shield it is center gripped.