Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:28:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689768
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Received my copy of "Setting the East Ablaze"!  (Read 11789 times)

Offline coggon

• Scientist
Re: Received my copy of "Setting the East Ablaze"!
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 03:22:23 PM »
All right, thanks! This does sound like an interesting set of rules for our multiplayer games then.

And not to be a shill or anything, but that's what I am going to use them for.  I've got another set of rules that work well for one force vs. one force, but have my doubts about its ability to handle 6 or 7 players/factions.  These rules look like they will work well for narrative driven games.
"MY enthusiasm greatly exceeds my talent"-Me

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 11:53:36 PM »
Mostly gamemaster driven scenarios.  I abhor tournament wargaming.  They would work for it, but werent designed with that in mind.  We wanted fast, decisive games that rewarded good planning and tactics rather than rules lawyers.  Think the spirit of kriegspiel.  the dice are all six sided.  They have a slightly 'heroic' nature to them in that leaders (officers/mullahs/commissars, etc) can have a decisive influence if used intelligently.  Like most rules these days they are influenced by many sets, but have a very distinctive and unique feel. Movement/action is by drawing cards, which makes planning and coordination a challenge, but as always good plans win out....
Sounds great! You've convinced me; I was going to use Lardies "Triumph of the Will", but these sound very interesting and the units are the right size for what I'm looking for. Thank You Sir!
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 01:53:58 PM »
I was very kindly sent a hand typed early version of these rules many moons ago, and thought they were great. Now, I'd like to own the full, bound, grown up version, but have yet to decipher from the Partizan/Claveer webpage have to accomplish this. Is there some secret? I want to give you my money. Honest.
-J

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead Painters League Winner
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 02:12:41 PM »
....  I've got another set of rules that work well for one force vs. one force, but have my doubts about its ability to handle 6 or 7 players/factions. ....

Wich one do you use?

Offline coggon

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 06:29:52 PM »
Wich one do you use?

Mud & Blood fromTFL.  Not sure how to handle the Lardies' "Snifter" card for multi-sided games.  Thought about using one less snifter card than the number of factions in the scenario. And besides Ignatieff's games look FUN, so why not use his rules  ;)

Offline INOFF THE RED

• Bookworm
    • Caliver Dave
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 06:39:53 PM »
Hello

best to go to

www.caliverbooks.com

Then search SETTING THE EAST

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead Painters League Winner
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 08:27:05 AM »
Mud & Blood fromTFL.  Not sure how to handle the Lardies' "Snifter" card for multi-sided games.  Thought about using one less snifter card than the number of factions in the scenario. And besides Ignatieff's games look FUN, so why not use his rules  ;)

It's always good to have a choice of rules available for different occasions. I appreciate a Kriegsspiel style set of rules for the period that works well for multiplayer games.  :)

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 05:42:33 AM »
My copy came today...All I have to say is brilliant!

Offline Red Sveta

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 04:04:55 PM »
I am tempted to buy these rules very tempted, but need to  now a few things before a part with any money.

Are their any scenarios included?

What size table are they designed for?
Are figures removed as casualties with saving throws etc, or is it attritional casualties with figures remaining on the table?

What is a unit? what does it represent, company, squad?

I need to know these things before I open my wallet and let the moths out.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 04:47:58 PM »
Mostly gamemaster driven scenarios.  I abhor tournament wargaming.  They would work for it, but werent designed with that in mind.  We wanted fast, decisive games that rewarded good planning and tactics rather than rules lawyers.  Think the spirit of kriegspiel.  the dice are all six sided.  They have a slightly 'heroic' nature to them in that leaders (officers/mullahs/commissars, etc) can have a decisive influence if used intelligently.  Like most rules these days they are influenced by many sets, but have a very distinctive and unique feel. Movement/action is by drawing cards, which makes planning and coordination a challenge, but as always good plans win out....
Are army lists and a points system included?
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 05:57:49 PM »
There are points values, but no army lists.  There are plenty of these around (Mark Plant, Chris Peers to name but two), and plenty of books that give orbats.  We couldnt see how we could add value in these.  We will be including battle lists in the campaign book, due out next year.
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline coggon

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 06:57:31 PM »
the campaign book, due out next year.

Cool.

As to army lists, I would also suggest that you look to the extensive player briefings that Ignatieff has posted on this forum.

Offline Beast of Bukhara

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »
Red

As Coggon wisely says you need to go no further than this forum to find fantastic scenarios. However you might enjoy the adventure in the trying. ;)

Any sized table you care to toy with will do though 4'x4' would be the smallest I suppose. Small arms ranges are under 20".
Figures are removed as casualties with saving throws for certain types.
Unit represent what you want them to I guess up to platoon even company levels. I like to think that its a skirmish game and that one man represents one man,

After all there is only one Beast;D

Hope that helps
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 09:24:18 PM by Beast of Bukhara »

Offline Red Sveta

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 08:40:47 AM »
Thanks very much Beast of Bukhara for comming to the aid of commrade Sveta. I will put the rules on the shopping list.